Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Pays $50,000 To Get Out Of UMass Game

Featured Replies

I never said it was a huge issue, but ESPN felt like it was worthy enough to put in the headlines on the front page of their website. So I thought I would post it on here to see if I could get a reaction, obviously it worked.

 

Slow newsday on espn.com if this makes the top stories list.

 

UK honored the contract by paying the fee to get out.

 

If UMass wanted to guarantee the game, they should not have included the clause.

 

What's in it for UK to go to Boston? If they can get a home game and sell 23,000 more seats and add to the coffers, what's the problem?

 

I understand UMass being disappointed but its an everyday occurrence these days.

  • Replies 121
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See #23 and #24...

 

 

I'm pretty sure Sportskid is an UNC fan.

See #23 and #24...

 

I am an objective UK fan, unlike many of the subjective ones out there.....

I see nothing wrong with what they did but that's just me!

I am an objective UK fan, unlike many of the subjective ones out there.....

 

 

 

Are you saying that HSSB or myself aren't objective UK fans? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

 

 

Will somebody please help me? I can't seem to get off the floor.

Let me get this straight, Rick Pitino's first order of business after getting to Louisville was to back-out of a contract to play (in-state school, mind you) Western. Everyone (read: some UL fans) says it is no big deal and that he is looking out for the best interest of his program. However, BCG does the same thing to UMASS and it is bush league and a bad move on Mitch and Billy's part? Perfect.

 

For the record, I thought it was bush when Pitino did it as well. Don't sign the freakin' contract if you think there are any possible reasons to back out. And I never said it was "no big deal" when Pitino made his decision; I was upset by that as well.

For the record, I thought it was bush when Pitino did it as well. Don't sign the freakin' contract if you think there are any possible reasons to back out.

 

 

So why have a buyout clause?

For the record, I thought it was bush when Pitino did it as well. Don't sign the freakin' contract if you think there are any possible reasons to back out. And I never said it was "no big deal" when Pitino made his decision; I was upset by that as well.

Don't put the buy out clause in the contract or make it a Charlie Wiess type buy out.

 

Otherwise who cares.

So why have a buyout clause?

 

If you're going to have one, it should be so outrageously high that the "biggers" wouldn't even consider it.

Don't put the buy out clause in the contract or make it a Charlie Wiess type buy out.

 

Otherwise who cares.

 

Because it's the classic case of "we occupy a more rarified air than you, and we don't think you're good enough to compete."

 

And I find it funny how so many are casually dismissing Boston as a good location to play, as though there is never any top-flite talent to come out of that area of millions upon millions of people.

If you're going to have one, it should be so outrageously high that the "biggers" wouldn't even consider it.

 

 

 

And that's a mistake that UMass's AD admits that he made. He'll know better next time.

And that's a mistake that UMass's AD admits that he made. He'll know better next time.

 

Sadly, the lesser-known schools have no choice but to put low buyouts into the contracts, otherwise they'd never get a home game with a "bigger." The big schools are just too scared to take their game on the road and possibly lose face by getting upset by a perceived "lesser."

If you're going to have one, it should be so outrageously high that the "biggers" wouldn't even consider it.

 

 

...and then wait patiently for a "big-time" program to come to your place. UMass doesn't have the leverage to do this.

...and then wait patiently for a "big-time" program to come to your place. UMass doesn't have the leverage to do this.

 

And there's the Catch 22.

I was very vocal in my opposition to Pitino buying out of the game with Western and I think this is pretty low as well. But then again with coaches contracts mean absolutely nothing so why should we be surprised. Why even make the pretense of signing a long term contract when they mean absolutely nothing?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.