Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands at Elder (OH) Predictions/Updates

The battle in the Pit 87 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 10/10/2025 at 10:00 PM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Another week means another epic battle in front of the Bluebirds to challenge them.

Freddy Douglass ✅
Cooper✅

Boyle Co ❌
Cov Cath ✅

 Elder ❓

The buses travel across the river to the “Pit” for this battle.  
 

Elder (7-0) is showcasing a perfect record after beating Moeller this past Friday. They are currently sitting a top of the Ohio polls as the #1 team in the state.

Birds (6-1) will need to have a clean well executed game plan with very limited amount of mistakes and even if they can pull that off they still might need some good mojo to pull a win in the Pit off.  I love the fact that Coach Sphire is challenging this team this year.  Hopefully this helps this team come playoff time playing the caliber of teams during the regular season.

I am so looking forward to the trip to the Pit!!

There will be 2 options that I am already aware of on how to watch/listen to this game:

Watch: 859sportsradio.com

Listen: bluebirdsradio.com, our very own @Brennan_Bucher will be back in town doing the play by play on the radio for old times sake.

Who you have?

GO BIRDS!!!



Highlandsvs.Elder.thumb.jpg.459c2a9da29167f1acd92f803af0ffd6.jpg

  • Replies 115
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I say if that is your approach to the game, don't schedule the game.

  • Tigerpride94
    Tigerpride94

    Over on the Ohio message boards a guy said beat the cake eaters. First I've heard that but I'm not from Northern KY.

  • cricketbird
    cricketbird

    And NONE of this story is why they call HHS Cakeaters. I’ll save your the real story, but we actually refer to ourselves as Cakeaters and we have for Many decades and it really doesn’t offend us, so k

Posted Images

Highlands has a very good team, but I think this may too tall a task for the birds.

I'm going with Elder by 7 because I don't want to disrespect the Panthers. 

Over on the Ohio message boards a guy said beat the cake eaters. First I've heard that but I'm not from Northern KY.

IMG_7693.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Over on the Ohio message boards a guy said beat the cake eaters. First I've heard that but I'm not from Northern KY.

IMG_7693.jpeg

And NONE of this story is why they call HHS Cakeaters. I’ll save your the real story, but we actually refer to ourselves as Cakeaters and we have for Many decades and it really doesn’t offend us, so keep calling us that. We’ll just start the C-A-K-E cheer and have fun with it!

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Over on the Ohio message boards a guy said beat the cake eaters. First I've heard that but I'm not from Northern KY.

IMG_7693.jpeg

The reason they call Fort Thomas people Cake Eaters is because back in the Civil War when General George Thomas came home from the battlefield his wife made him a big cake. Legend has it a panther lunged at Mrs Thomas and George threw the cake at the panther killing it instantly. That night they say the Thomas’s ate their cake with panther blood icing. 

  • Author
37 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The reason they call Fort Thomas people Cake Eaters is because back in the Civil War when General George Thomas came home from the battlefield his wife made him a big cake. Legend has it a panther lunged at Mrs Thomas and George threw the cake at the panther killing it instantly. That night they say the Thomas’s ate their cake with panther blood icing. 

Yep, sounds accurate to me!

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Over on the Ohio message boards a guy said beat the cake eaters. First I've heard that but I'm not from Northern KY.

IMG_7693.jpeg

Gotta love it.

If Elder wasn’t so deep I’d take the Birds. But as a younger man, in 1999 when we watched the the Birds at the Pit and Elder just kept coming out of the tunnel, player after player after player, it really opened up my eyes to big school Ohio football. It’ll be a packed house, and Ohio schools cannot stomach losing to a lowly kentucky school. Elder by two scores but I’m pulling for the Birds.

I'll give a breakdown later... but for now understand that this isn't just another game for Elder.  They are trying to finish first in Ohio R4 Division 1 to have the best path forward in the playoffs.  Given Highlands record, they are what Ohio considers to be a "Harbin Cow."  Meaning, if Elder wins they get the equivalent of beating whatever division slot Highlands equates to PLUS all the second level points for WINS Highlands has.  It's actually a compliment to Highlands.  Obviously, Highlands wants to win for any number or reasons, but just because Elder won the GCL don't think they aren't focused on what's next.  

Over the years I have heard several different stories about the meaning of "cake eater".

I think they would say it was a knock to Highlands and Ft. Thomas people , but people in the fort think it's use is meant to be an insult.

We in the fort just think the people out   of town are just ignorant .They don't know what it means either.

I've lived in the fort all of my life and have a big family and none of us really know about slang term used it stands for.

The first thing highlands cheer leaders baked a cake and on it it said how highlands is going to beat Newport that night. You guessed it. Newport that night ,beat Highlands.

Another one is people say Highlands people can afford cake but not cold cuts.

My info came from a priest and a long time Bird. Take it for what it's worth.. ☺️

1 hour ago, James Graham said:

I'll give a breakdown later... but for now understand that this isn't just another game for Elder.  They are trying to finish first in Ohio R4 Division 1 to have the best path forward in the playoffs.  Given Highlands record, they are what Ohio considers to be a "Harbin Cow."  Meaning, if Elder wins they get the equivalent of beating whatever division slot Highlands equates to PLUS all the second level points for WINS Highlands has.  It's actually a compliment to Highlands.  Obviously, Highlands wants to win for any number or reasons, but just because Elder won the GCL don't think they aren't focused on what's next.  

 

Elder might not be worried about Highlands, but I'm sure they are worried about the school waiting for them in Cleveland. 

What  happens if Elder loses to Highlands? St. X (OH) lost to Highlands while both teams were ranked in the top 5 in the country in2009.  Highlands is a D4 school. Good luck with no injuries.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.