Golf a sport?

Is golf a sport?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

I agree with this. It's a sport for professionals. For most everyone else, its a hobby.

Any sport could fit this description, basketball, football, tennis, bowling, log rolling....etc..

I used to play basketball just for the fun of it, but I wasn't any good. It was more of a hobby thing.

Golf is a sport. These folks have to work out, train, and practice many hours to compete at a high level. Just like Michael Jordan did in his sport, Tiger has to work at what he does to achieve success. It wasn't handed to him magically. And golfers have to have a little God-given ability to work with, just like Jordan or Peyton Manning. With natural ability and hard work, they succeed.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call it a game, not a sport (like foosball, or lawn darts). I mean, by definition, lots of things are sports, as exemplified by 98NCCalum, but I just don't put it in the same category as football, basketball, baseball, etc. I guess you could say it's like a "B-sport". Not to say it doesn't require skill, because it sure does, but it's not the same as the A-sports.

I call it a game, not a sport (like foosball, or lawn darts). I mean, by definition, lots of things are sports, as exemplified by 98NCCalum, but I just don't put it in the same category as football, basketball, baseball, etc. I guess you could say it's like a "B-sport". Not to say it doesn't require skill, because it sure does, but it's not the same as the A-sports.

So what is your reasoning that it is a B-sport?

So what is your reasoning that it is a B-sport?

Just not enough physical activity, no real teamwork. Sure, you COULD break a sweat if it's warm out, and you COULD count caddies, or maybe partners as teammates, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. Like I said, I'm not trying to harsh on golf (though in reality, I don't care about it), I just don't see it as a sport.

Just not enough physical activity, no real teamwork. Sure, you COULD break a sweat if it's warm out, and you COULD count caddies, or maybe partners as teammates, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. Like I said, I'm not trying to harsh on golf (though in reality, I don't care about it), I just don't see it as a sport.

It probably does look kinda easy on TV, with caddies, etc. I'm guessing you dont know much about amateur golf where the players carry their own bags for 18 holes, make the decisions on their own, etc. Making an athletic move with the body to hit the ball, and being in the condition to where it works the best. You are right, its not physical at all...:rolleyes:

A lot of people say golf isn't a sport. Thats probably because they don't like it or aren't very good at it. It is the hardest sport to play if you think about it. I mean there are fields up 150 people you have to face a lot of times. Golf isn't just something you walk into and your good at it. People work their whole lives to be good at it. Golf is definately a sport.

This is perfectly said. :thumb:

Sports have to have teams? Tennis anyone? Olympic "activities" instead of sports?

Weak....Wiz-eak......

That logic makes zero sense to me.