Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Fire David Bell

Featured Replies

USA Today just reported 5 minutes ago that the Reds fired manager David Bell tonight after they lost their last home game today to the Pirates 2-0. I think it was a good move. Let the discussions begin for who the new manager will be in 2025.

Bell joined the Reds for the 2019 season and posted a 405-456 record over the last six seasons. Bench coach Freddie Benavides will fill in as the interim manager for the final week of the season.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • It doesn't matter who the Manager is with the front office conducting business the way it does. They'll just hire somebody to be the next scape goat. 

  • ^ I agree.  The only reason he lasted so long in Cincinnati was that his name was Bell  He was a milk toast manager who playacted most of the time, and often seemed to be going through the motions.

  • Tranquility Base
    Tranquility Base

    I feel like, eventually, Barry Larkin will be the manager.   But do they want to hand him this roster?  They may have to soon because the endless rebuilds will never lead to a consistent winning team.

I feel like, eventually, Barry Larkin will be the manager.   But do they want to hand him this roster?  They may have to soon because the endless rebuilds will never lead to a consistent winning team.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/I'd/41390092/cincinnati-reds-fire-manager-david-bell

""David provided the kind of steadiness that we needed in our clubhouse over the last few seasons. We felt a change was needed to move the Major League team forward. We have not achieved the success we expected, and we need to begin focusing on 2025," president of baseball operations Nick Krall said on a statement posted on the Reds' website."

AKA: We stink and I won't fire myself.

I don't believe another manager would have accomplished any more than Bell did with these Reds rosters the past few years. But I do think it is time for a new voice and leader. 

This is Krall and ownership placing blame when they are the ones handcuffing the organization. Yes, it is time for a new voice but to do it on a late Sunday night with a week left in the season is them trying to make it seem things are changing when it won’t change as long as the front office stays the same. 
 

Lot of Skip Schumaker talk online. While I get it, he’s about to lose 100 games this season and won’t be an upgrade IMO. 

7 hours ago, TribeTime said:

This is Krall and ownership placing blame when they are the ones handcuffing the organization. Yes, it is time for a new voice but to do it on a late Sunday night with a week left in the season is them trying to make it seem things are changing when it won’t change as long as the front office stays the same. 
 

Lot of Skip Schumaker talk online. While I get it, he’s about to lose 100 games this season and won’t be an upgrade IMO. 

 

Just now, No Hiding Here....BC 21 said:

I get a change being needed.  But why not wait until next Sunday?

I just don't see the point of firing him with 5 games remaining

If you have decided to fire him, why wait?

Firing him now gives them a week head start on other teams who will fire managers in trying to find someone. Plus they want to avoid backlash by putting it out late Sunday night during SNF, a Bengals game the next day, and the Reds heading on the road. 

 

Divert attention from the real problem.

Also, if you know he is gone and you keep him one more week, every possible conversation about next year is awkward and disingenuous (word of the day for you).

I think season ticket renewals have started, this timing was probably not a coincidence. 

3 hours ago, No Hiding Here....BC 21 said:

I get a change being needed.  But why not wait until next Sunday?

I just don't see the point of firing him with 5 games remaining

Trying to light a fire under people to win out as to not finish below .500.  But I don’t see that happening.  More likely they just throw up their hands and lose out.  

12 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I feel like, eventually, Barry Larkin will be the manager.   But do they want to hand him this roster?  They may have to soon because the endless rebuilds will never lead to a consistent winning team.

I'll start by saying I don't really follow the Reds at all. However, friends do and so does BGP and I hear Barry Larkin's name quite often. Is there any particular reason why Larkin's name comes up? He's never managed anywhere that I'm familiar with. He's a Reds legend, but does that qualify him for this job? I'm not saying he isn't capable or wouldn't do a good job, but I've never once heard his named mentioned as a manager for the other 29 MLB teams but many of my fellow Reds fans seem to think he's the magic wand that will change the organization.

It doesn't matter who the Manager is with the front office conducting business the way it does. They'll just hire somebody to be the next scape goat. 

18 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It doesn't matter who the Manager is with the front office conducting business the way it does. They'll just hire somebody to be the next scape goat. 

This is kind of where I am.  Changes in philosophy need to be made throughout the organization.  Emphasis on contact for hitters and pitching with a purpose rather than how hard one throws.  I am most curious to see how the off-season goes from a roster construction standpoint.

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

This is kind of where I am.  Changes in philosophy need to be made throughout the organization.  Emphasis on contact for hitters and pitching with a purpose rather than how hard one throws.  I am most curious to see how the off-season goes from a roster construction standpoint.

What changes do you feel the front office need to make? I honestly don't follow the teams moves behind the scenes. So I'm curious as to what you and others feel the front office should have done differently the last few years and what you like to see them do going forward?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.