Kentucky 70 Auburn 59

Great win. Great defense and just great overall toughness displayed. 

Also it’s been quiet on here this season. However, it was said quite a bit by some people on here last year, that Reeves isn’t a UK level type of player. Antonio Reeves obviously deserves to be here at UK. There were numerous times last year people complained saying he shouldn’t be here, and is only a mid major type player, and shows how far we fallen getting a player from Illinois State. So I will say I am sure glad he is here at UK, and he makes a huge difference for this team. 

• Like 5

Cal is quietly putting together a type of roster we see Self put together at Kansas with solid multi year players that get better every year like a Theiro, Ugo, and Sheppard. Even though Sheppard may not end up a multi year guy like expected when he was recruited. If Sheppard stays along with those two players, along with another two and the incoming freshman. It could be the start of a very nice run again starting with this team. 

I get Auburn missed some open looks so it could have been a different game, but this game was actually frustrating on some level because UK showed they can be a competent defensive and rebounding team. Hopefully that continues because that is how you win when it matters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

Sheppard, Edwards, & Wagner did well also. 

As I said in the update thread Sheppard even though he only scored 4 points I thought this was one of his best games. He controlled the tempo on the offensive end and midway through the 2nd half when Cal went away from the ball screens with Onyenso I thought he did a great job. He had 5 rebounds and 5 steals and only 1 turnover.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tcjkbt said:

Sheppard did so much for UK in the second half---- breaking the press, running the point and controlling the game.   Hats off to him.  His best game, I think.

He was exactly what UK needed. The pace seemed a little quick for him at first, but once he got reinserted he excelled. 

2 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

Sheppard did so much for UK in the second half---- breaking the press, running the point and controlling the game.   Hats off to him.  His best game, I think.

Having him at the point while running Reeves through a thousand screens was very effective. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

UK showed they can be a competent defensive and rebounding team.

I think this game may move them up from their 317th ranking defensively.lol

I said the same thing the first half they missed some wide open looks, but I thought we played with more effort and fight on the defensive end. Also, Cal figured out quickly tonight that this was not a game that Bradshaw and Ivisic could play in.

There was no toying around with the big guys. Bradshaw and Big Z (who maybe put together the worst 30 seconds of basketball ever) looked overmatched, so they enjoyed the rest of the game from the sidelines.

• Like 5

Just now, bugatti said:

There was no toying around with the big guys. Bradshaw and Big Z (who maybe put together the worst 30 seconds of basketball ever) looked overmatched, so they enjoyed the rest of the game from the sidelines.

When Z came in I yelled out loud.  Haven't done that in a long time.

• Like 1