CFP Final Rankings

TheDeuce

1 minute ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I don't think that scenario was floated for Alabama, because no one thought Alabama could/would beat Georgia back then.

I'm not going to go try to dig up the video, but you're incorrect.  It was on Gameday, and they were saying 13-0 Michigan, 13-0 Washington, 13-0 FSU, 12-1 Georgia (having lost to Alabama), 12-1 Texas (Big 12 Champs), and 12-1 Alabama (SEC Champs), who gets that last spot? Herbstreit immediately said "the debate isn't between these teams, it's Florida State that is out".  FSU Twitter was in love with that. 

I've argued for years against automatic bids to the playoffs, even when it expands next year. All conferences aren't the same. 

As far as picking the four best this year, it is difficult. Just from what I've watched, I can get it to 5 teams...Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Washington. It's hard to argue against any of them.

Alabama and Michigan have the best wins in UGA and OSU. Washington running the board and beating Oregon twice is impressive. Texas going to Tuscaloosa and winning is very impressive.

Florida State just doesn't have an impressive resume'. Their BEST win (LSU) is maybe Alabama's 3rd or 4th best win. Their 2nd best win (Louisville), lost to a team destroyed by both Alabama and Georgia. 

It sucks for FSU and their fans, but they just aren't a top 4 team right now.

FB_IMG_1701626128645.jpg

11 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I'm not going to go try to dig up the video, but you're incorrect.  It was on Gameday, and they were saying 13-0 Michigan, 13-0 Washington, 13-0 FSU, 12-1 Georgia (having lost to Alabama), 12-1 Texas (Big 12 Champs), and 12-1 Alabama (SEC Champs), who gets that last spot? Herbstreit immediately said "the debate isn't between these teams, it's Florida State that is out".  FSU Twitter was in love with that. 

I'll concede it may have been mentioned, but no one really thought Alabama was winning over UGA back then.

They got it right. 

That being said, it’s time for an 8-team playoff.  The conference champs, then fill the rest with deserving at-large teams.  Ohio State, Georgia and maybe Oregon this year would make an entertaining octet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

They got it right. 

That being said, it’s time for an 8-team playoff.  The conference champs, then fill the rest with deserving at-large teams.  Ohio State, Georgia and maybe Oregon this year would make an entertaining octet. 

It's going to 12 next year.

What do they do with PAC next year with only two teams?

Just now, Jumper_Dad said:

I'll concede it may have been mentioned, but no one really thought Alabama was winning over UGA back then.

Two weeks ago? So you're telling me that it was their wins over Chattanooga and a 4th and Goal from the 31 miracle that suddenly made people think Alabama could beat Georgia? Come on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DragonFire said:

Two weeks ago? So you're telling me that it was their wins over Chattanooga and a 4th and Goal from the 31 miracle that suddenly made people think Alabama could beat Georgia? Come on.

No, no one thought Alabama could beat UGA. That's why saying discussions trying to get them in after the FSU injury are misguided. It was just conjecture to spark discussion on a talk show. No one expected it to actually happen.

Just now, Jumper_Dad said:

No, no one thought Alabama could beat UGA. That's why saying discussions trying to get them in after the FSU injury are misguided. It was just conjecture to spark discussion on a talk show. No one expected it to actually happen.

Agree to disagree, and to be honest, I don't feel that I'm in a headspace to continue to discuss this.

2 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Theres absolutely no shot you think nobody thought Bama could or would beat Georgia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Theres absolutely no shot you think nobody thought Bama could or would beat Georgia.

Sure there are always a few contrarians that go against everyone else picking Georgia and pick them. But the concensus for weeks was that Georgia would roll over them and go back to the CFP.