Highlands 58 Cooper 51

My first thought moving forward is, will last night be enough to convince coach that his 100% man coverage defensive philosophy is terrible? As a Highlands it was embarrassing to watch. And the fact no one was smart enough to make any adjustments all game is very concerning.  Why not mix it up?

Dixie should pass every down next week too. In hindsight, it’s now easy to see why Covcath kept converting 3rd and long when they played after getting stuffed trying to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Huh? If they took their foot off the gas, they wouldn’t have thrown a pick 6 at the end of the game. Highlands also couldn’t stop Cooper and gave up 555 yards passing. Quite honestly them not taking their foot off the game at the end is what almost cost them, by trying to pass the ball and throwing the pick 6. 

Jags had no chance to win. It was like a cat playing with a little mouse.

IMG_8755.webp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Woody Hayes said:

IMG_8755.webp

Well I guess that that mouse almost made it like the old Tom and Jerry cartoon, when Jerry made Tom look like a fool. Considering the mouse was an onside kick away from winning the game at the end. Highlands made a great catch on the last onside kick. If they don’t recover that, they most likely lose the game since they weren’t stopping Cooper’s offense. 

IMG_7066.jpeg

• Haha 1

My comments with no rooting interest:

1)Thanks to 859 Sports for the TV broadcast. 

2)Kudos to both teams for playing hard for 48 minutes.

3)Birds had control the entire game until the ill-advised Pick 6 when they could have taken an insurmountable 4 TD lead late by running the ball.

4)Cam O’Hara threw some great balls and the Cooper receivers did a super job.

5)A potential rematch in cold weather highly favors the Birds due to their ground game. It’s much harder to pitch and catch on a cold night.

6)There are 3 State Top 5 or so 5A teams in our NKY 5A district. Dixie is capable of beating either team and winning the district.

7)Benke was game MVP.

8)Austin Alexander is outstanding and both teams have some great players.

Terrific and entertaining game!

• Like 8

Rule 2 reads in part:

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting). Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" of high school athletes is prohibited. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule. 

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Well I guess that that mouse almost made it like the old Tom and Jerry cartoon, when Jerry made Tom look like a fool. Considering the mouse was an onside kick away from winning the game at the end. Highlands made a great catch on the last onside kick. If they don’t recover that, they most likely lose the game since they weren’t stopping Cooper’s offense. 

IMG_7066.jpeg

That makes complete sense to me. Unfortunately, I had to leave  the game midway through the 4th Qtr with the score 59-38 to catch a dinner reservation with @Fan of Karenat Marbl. Perhaps we ordered our desert too early but it was still very good. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

That makes complete sense to me. Unfortunately, I had to leave  the game midway through the 4th Qtr with the score 59-38 to catch a dinner reservation with @Fan of Karenat Marbl. Perhaps we ordered our desert too early but it was still very good. 

Everyone needs a Woody in their life @Woody Hayes

Nice try, I ate at Smokin' This and That BBQ before the game and stayed until the end.

We are winning the state championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big year for the Birds, this year. Likely a dip after this group graduates.  We will see if the “Are you a “full time”  or “part time” ?” player mantra sticks or just becomes divisive in the hallways of the high school as the battle for multi-sport players begins.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ProblemChild said:

Big year for the Birds, this year. Likely a dip after this group graduates.  We will see if the “Are you a “full time”  or “part time” ?” player mantra sticks or just becomes divisive in the hallways of the high school as the battle for multi-sport players begins.

Wut? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ProblemChild said:

Not sure I follow the part time stuff but yes this is a big year for them. Next year their line will be massive, but they will drop off at the skill positions a bit. The 2025 team will be just as good, if not better, than this years team. Probably going to have one of the biggest lines in the state, a seasoned group of seniors, and an absolutely loaded junior class. Gotta get a chip this season IMO to keep the momentum and avoid chatter, which will come. Especially if they take a step back next season. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ProblemChild said:

Please tell me this isn’t a real thing.  As the least successful of the Big 3 sports the last 5-8 years this is in horrible taste if true and should be shut down by administration.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:18 AM, Woody Hayes said:

IMG_8755.webp

C'mon Coach! If you would have stayed till the end, you would have seen Cooper almost come back. Would love to have seen some of the play calling stick to the run game, but I guess in the end, it all worked out.

• Like 1