Anderson County Hires David Buchanan

From Anderson County Schools Athletics on Facebook:

Anderson County Schools is excited to announce that David Buchanan has been hired as Head Football Coach at Anderson County High School. In serving 30 years as the head coach at Paris, Mason County, and Mercer County, his teams have won 231 games, placing him 30th on the list of all-time wins in KHSAA football history and 7th in wins among active coaches. Most recently, Coach Buchanan has served as Offensive and Defensive Analyst for St. Xavier High School. Coach Buchanan has also served two terms as the President of the Kentucky Football Coaches Association and has been coach of the year at the district, regional, and state levels. David and his wife Stephanie have three children: John Combs, Emma, and Trosper; a daughter-in-law: Caroline Parker Buchanan; and a grandson: John Parker Buchanan.

Any student who would like to participate in Anderson County High School football for the 2023 season should plan to meet with Coach Buchanan after school on Monday, April 17th in the football fieldhouse to discuss spring football plans. We also invite the community and team to a meet-and-greet with Coach Buchanan on Monday, April 17th, from 5:00-6:30 p.m. in the ACHS cafeteria. Light refreshments will be provided.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, random925 said:

Was this a good hire?

Being connected to both Anderson and Western Hills it feels like Hills knocked it out of the park. Young guy, full of energy.

While Anderson feels different. 

I would lean great hire over good hire. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, random925 said:

Was this a good hire?

Being connected to both Anderson and Western Hills it feels like Hills knocked it out of the park. Young guy, full of energy.

While Anderson feels different. 

I think it's a great hire.  30 years HC experience.  Every school has a specific need as far as new direction.  I have nothing against a school going with a first time head coach.  Sometime that might be what is needed.  Anderson, with the problems they had the last couple of years with Peach and then an out of state unknown guy really struggled.  Seems to me Coach Buchanan is exactly what they need.  They've had some good teams through the years and as bad as they team as a whole has been the last three years, they've had some dudes on the field.  I wish Western Hills the best and I hope their new HC has a great run up there.  But I personally think a first time HC would have a rough go of it at Anderson at this point in time.  Good luck Chief ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sure do appreciate all of the kind words. A few random thoughts....

1- I have enjoyed all the speculation & comments over the last few weeks. 🙂

2- Have met some awful nice people at some different schools over the past year. Very thankful for those experiences.

3- Coach Gruneisen said one time that coaching HS football is the greatest profession. It was good for me to take a step back and not take so much for granted. I am very thankful to be in this role once again. 

4- Thankful for Kevin Wallace giving me a place to land for a year. Yes, his football is top notch. His culture, leadership, and team chemistry are elite. One of the best. Those guys were super to me during a tough time and always made me feel welcome. Players and coaches. I enjoyed scouting great teams for them, prepping reports/potential gameplans, and lived for Mondays to go watch the Tigers get ready for another week of football. The X is special.

5- The podcast will continue. Chuck and I really enjoy it. Will make Mondays super busy, but we enjoy it too much and our listeners love it too much to give up. Grab your popcorn.... May is KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett!

Some insights into how this played out at Anderson... they interviewed me. When they called me back for a 2nd interview, for lack of a better term, I interviewed them... 15 questions. I liked their answers alot. 

As I get older, the tough part to navigate is wanting to coach football and have a team, but also do what is best for my family. Fortunately,  that has happened at Anderson County and I am very thankful.

As I have said in the past, I really appreciate @theguru. He works hard to keep this site first class. 

Time to get back to work, but wanted to share this info with a tremendous group of people that love KY HS Football!

#FindAWayToWin104133430_Screenshot2023-04-10at7_37_36PM.thumb.png.d09c552b394c935e915459581d2e34b6.png858505644_Screenshot2023-04-10at7_38_32PM.thumb.png.efcfc23f6f42a0dd66ce8eeb8383081d.png1237531145_Screenshot2023-04-10at7_54_12PM.thumb.png.823d152ca2f9abff349ec37d24ef82f0.png

• Like 33