St. John’s hires Rick Pitino

futurecoach

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

An interesting thing about St. Johns: Prior to the 1990s, a scholarship athlete could be given the value of their college housing in cash if they chose to live at home instead of in a dorm. St. John's used this quite effectively to recruit kids in New York. Those kids could live at home and pocket a few thousand bucks (or give to their families) instead of staying in the dorm. When the NCAA rescinded that rule, St. John's lost a major recruiting advantage. Their coaching hires have been spotty at best since Lou Carnesecca left, but I think losing that housing rule probably hurt them just as much, if not more.

Interesting fact, was never aware of that.

3 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

What was "the cause?"

From the article via ESPN:

In a termination letter explaining Anderson's firing obtained by ESPN, the school asserted that Anderson failed to facilitate an environment of academic compliance within the program. It also claimed that Anderson failed to "appropriately supervise" his assistant coaches.

13 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Pitino is great, but I still don’t know how he couldn’t find away to stop a guard from scoring 30 points against UK in the 97 finals. His great coaching alone should have easily prevented a single player from scoring 30 points in a game that decided the championship. 

That was 26 yrs ago, but if you need to use that to defend Cal The Great, then have at it, Pitino would have hung banners all over Rupp Arena if he had stayed around a few more years and you and I both know that, but continue to ride the Cal bus and losing must be the thing you enjoy.

9 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

That was 26 yrs ago, but if you need to use that to defend Cal The Great, then have at it, Pitino would have hung banners all over Rupp Arena if he had stayed around a few more years and you and I both know that, but continue to ride the Cal bus and losing must be the thing you enjoy.

You and I both don’t know that. In fact I don’t think UK even wins the title in 98 if Pitino had stayed. That 98 team wasn’t the team with the most talent that year like Pitino’s one title team at UK in 96. The players on the 98 team actually fit Tubby and what he did perfectly. 

If people would have said UK after 2012 that would be the only title under Cal no one would have believed it. Shoot if people said UK wouldn’t make the final four the next 8 year after making 4 final fours in 5 years under Cal no one would have believed it. 

It is simple where Pitino had UK at when he left was not sustainable. Just like where Cal had UK after 2015 was also not sustainable. The only difference was Pitino left before it had a chance to come back down to earth under him. While Cal didn’t run and leave after reaching levels that were unsustainable. Since since Pitino left before it could come back down to earth, many of you only remember that. If Cal had left after 2015, no one would have thought it would turn to this. Then people would have been crying the same thing and saying only if Cal never left. Pitino simply left before it could have came back down some. 

Pitino was at Louisville for 16 years. Louisville has a storied history, great facilities, etc. So he had plenty of time to win multiple titles at UL and Yet after 16 years he only won one title with them. So if Pitino had stayed I think we have the exact same amount of titles as we do now or even maybe one less, because I don’t think we win in 98 with him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

You and I both don’t know that. In fact I don’t think UK even wins the title in 98 if Pitino had stayed. That 98 team wasn’t the team with the most talent that year like Pitino’s one title team at UK in 96. The players on the 98 team actually fit Tubby and what he did perfectly. 

If people would have said UK after 2012 that would be the only title under Cal no one would have believed it. Shoot if people said UK wouldn’t make the final four the next 8 year after making 4 final fours in 5 years under Cal no one would have believed it. 

It is simple where Pitino had UK at when he left was not sustainable. Just like where Cal had UK after 2015 was also not sustainable. The only difference was Pitino left before it had a chance to come back down to earth under him. While Cal didn’t run and leave after reaching levels that were unsustainable. Since since Pitino left before it could come back down to earth, many of you only remember that. If Cal had left after 2015, no one would have thought it would turn to this. Then people would have been crying the same thing and saying only if Cal never left. Pitino simply left before it could have came back down some. 

Pitino was at Louisville for 16 years. Louisville has a storied history, great facilities, etc. So he had plenty of time to win multiple titles at UL and Yet after 16 years he only won one title with them. So if Pitino had stayed I think we have the exact same amount of titles as we do now or even maybe one less, because I don’t think we win in 98 with him. 

Now that’s really hilarious!!

51 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

More so it's realistic. Let's set aside UCLA's unparalleled run under Wooden. Elite programs aren't averaging a title every 3-5 years. If you get one a decade it puts you in rarefied company. Coach K (arguably the GOAT) averaged one every 8.4 years at Duke.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Hilarious based on what? Pitino didn’t win the title in 97 with a more talented team than what Tubby had in 98. The 98 team wasn’t the most talented team that year. Duke, UNC, and basically the same Arizona team that beat Pitino the year before was all better. So no way to say Pitino does what Tubby did and wins it that year. People like to talk about Calipari only winning a title when he had elite guys like AD, MKG, etc. Yet Pitino had to have one of the most stacked rosters of all time in 96 for him to win a title at UK. 

It would have been one thing if Pitino never came back to college and wondering how many titles he could have if he kept coaching in college. However, he did come back to college at another top program. Yet after 17 more years of coaching college, he managed to win only one more title. Which one of the guys who prevented him from winning more is Calipari knocking him out in 2012 and 2014. 

If Pitino had stayed I don’t think they win in 1998, but I do think he would have found away to win another title at some point.  That’s why I say I think we would either have the same or even one less title if he had stayed. 

Only two coaches have led three different  schools to a final four. Those two coaches are Pitino and Calipari. So for all those people who think Pitino can’t do no wrong as a coach. Calipari must be a better coach than you give him credit for to be the only other coach to take 3 different schools to final fours. 

I do think Pitino could possibly add a 4th school to his list, because I do think he will do a good job at St. John’s. 

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Only two coaches have led three different  schools to a final four. Those two coaches are Pitino and Calipari. So for all those people who think Pitino can’t do no wrong as a coach. Calipari must be a better coach than you give him credit for to be the only other coach to take 3 different schools to final fours. 

I do think Pitino could possibly add a 4th school to his list, because I do think he will do a good job at St. John’s. 

Pitino is a much better in game coach, strategic coach, conditioning coach,uses timeouts better, changes defenses better, just overall no comparison with Cal The Great.

1 hour ago, nikeman49 said:

Pitino is a much better in game coach, strategic coach, conditioning coach,uses timeouts better, changes defenses better, just overall no comparison with Cal The Great.

And yet Pitino has a losing career record against Calipari I believe. So something doesn’t add up here then. You would think Pitino’s great coaching at everything, and Calipari’s sucking as a coach at everything would mean Pitino would win not only have the better head to head record, but that it wouldn’t even be close. Pitino would have no business losing games to such a horrible coach. 

Listen I think Pitino is a great coach, and if I had to pick who I rather have coaching a team during a game. I would pick Pitino. I’m Just pointing out how flawed your alls constant criticism of Cal is and acting like he is a horrible coach. Cal is a much better coach than what you all give him credit for, and that’s the only reason why you all get push back on some of your comments. Because at the end of the day Calipari and Pitino’s careers have been very similar in almost every way. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

And yet Pitino has a losing career record against Calipari I believe. So something doesn’t add up here then. You would think Pitino’s great coaching at everything, and Calipari’s sucking as a coach at everything would mean Pitino would win not only have the better head to head record, but that it wouldn’t even be close. Pitino would have no business losing games to such a horrible coach. 

Now you know it’s not that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy Parker said:

It's not that simple, but those two guys' paths have mirrored each other and head to head speaks volumes.

As coaches, I believe Cal's deficiencies are Rick's strengths and vice versa.

If they had even anywhere close to equal talent, I would agree it speaks volumes. Cal has gotten the better of Rick, there is no denying that. Cal has also had significantly better talent in every game they have played, there is also no denying that. Each recruited to their system, so they’ve both had success.