Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Warren Central 64 George Rogers Clark 60 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

Featured Replies

11 hours ago, DragonFire said:

I sympathize but as Jack pointed out, Warren Central went through the same thing - tough draw and all - last year. I view it as balance. I’ve said it more than once that I favor the double feature on Saturday but the KHSAA has messed up the timing. They need to bump the morning games back to 10 am and 25 min following conclusion (not a set time 2.5 hours later) and the finals to 8 pm. That is what is messing things up now. But I’m coming around on moving back to a Sunday final with late Saturday night semis. I just didn’t want that to be this year because doggone it we had to go through it so George Rogers Clark deserved to go through it too. 

I agree with this. If they’re going to keep the Saturday championship the first game of the day needs to be at 10am like it was for years and the last game needs to be 8:00pm. That adds two more hours rest for the players and a little breathing room. The teams that play the 1:30pm Saturday game have very little turnaround time before the championship tip the way it is now. 

  • Replies 45
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    I could not be more elated! The game took me through so many emotions. When they got up 16 I allowed myself to believe it was going to be an easy ride. I just tip my cap to Morton - he did not want to

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    I sympathize but as Jack pointed out, Warren Central went through the same thing - tough draw and all - last year. I view it as balance. I’ve said it more than once that I favor the double feature on

  • What a run with wins in the King of the Bluegrass and the Sweet 16 and Frankly Region 4 as well! Additionally, what a class this Senior Class has been at Warren Central.  This group were freshmen

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Big Things Kentucky said:

Warren Central press conference 

The maturity and discipline of this team is unreal for a group of high school kids.  I had the privilege to watch them during the 4th region tournament and this group was simply having fun and getting the job done.  No trash talk, no showboating, nothing.  I'm very happy for this team! 

4 hours ago, Big Things Kentucky said:

GRC press conference.

You can tell how bad this team wanted it from the emotion they are showing.  It's a tough task to go back to back and these boys should hold their head proud that they can call themselves champions.  They sure are tough!  I wish them the absolute best in the future!

I said all year WC was the best team in the commonwealth.

Just now, 4 Quarters said:

I said all year WC was the best team in the commonwealth.

BGP thought so too:

 

image.jpeg.42b46e19276ad26dae71c461faa2b5d2.jpeg

What a run with wins in the King of the Bluegrass and the Sweet 16 and Frankly Region 4 as well!

Additionally, what a class this Senior Class has been at Warren Central.  This group were freshmen and got into some mop-up duty on a 27-7 team that upset BG in the Regions and were headed to Rupp when Covid canceled the 2019/2020 tournament.  Really cut their teeth during their Sophomore campaign during the Covid Cancellation Season (7 games disrupted due to Covid Cancellations) but were playing against Junior and Senior laden teams going 8 and 7 on the year.

Then last season going 29 and 4, reaching the State Finals and playing a fine game just coming up 1 point shy to a fine GRC team.

This season, they were simply the best team.  They seemed to still be on Christmas break losing for the only time to Madison Central by 17 at Lexington Catholic on December 27th.  They had a few other tough games along the way including a fine rally by GRC in the final, but the Dragons earned it!  Congratulations!

Especially @DragonFireand @BIG BLACK JACK! 

So I went down a rabbit hole and looked up just how often Warren Central led, trailed, or was tied this postseason.

* Played 9.125 games (the .125 being their OT against Bowling Green)
* That's 292 minutes, or 17,520 seconds.
* Held a lead for 269:12 of gametime (16,152 seconds).  That is the equivalent of a little under 8.375 games.
* Were tied for 19:56 of gametime (1,196 seconds)
* Of that, 7:05 (423 seconds) was when the game was 0-0.  In other words, you were guaranteed at least some of it was a tie.
* 12:53 (773 seconds) came after 0-0.
* Their games against Bowling Green, Ashland, Woodford County, and George Rogers Clark were only ones that were tied at any point after 0-0.
* Trailed for 2:52 of gametime (172 seconds).
* The most they trailed was 58 seconds against George Rogers Clark.  GRC was also the only team to lead more than once (three separate times in the first quarter).
* Woodford County was the only team to hold a lead at any point beyond the first quarter, doing so for five seconds in the fourth quarter.  Bowling Green and Woodford County were the only teams to even have it tied at any point beyond the first quarter.
* Greenwood was the only opponent who held the ball with a lead, doing so for one possession, up 3-2 in the first quarter of their game.  Warren Central either tied or took the lead on their next possession every other time they trailed.
* Warren Central never trailed for a single second in four of the nine games they played in postseason.

As dominating as all those numbers are, it's crazy to think that Bowling Green had a buzzer beater shot hit off the rim that would have won the region final and knocked Warren Central out.  One of the greater oddities would have been Bowling Green winning a game, in overtime no less, that they literally would not have led for a single second, as their game-winning attempt was in the air when the clock hit zero.  That would have been a neat stat, but one I'm glad didn't become real.

 

7 hours ago, Purple88 said:

What a run with wins in the King of the Bluegrass and the Sweet 16 and Frankly Region 4 as well!

Additionally, what a class this Senior Class has been at Warren Central.  This group were freshmen and got into some mop-up duty on a 27-7 team that upset BG in the Regions and were headed to Rupp when Covid canceled the 2019/2020 tournament.  Really cut their teeth during their Sophomore campaign during the Covid Cancellation Season (7 games disrupted due to Covid Cancellations) but were playing against Junior and Senior laden teams going 8 and 7 on the year.

Then last season going 29 and 4, reaching the State Finals and playing a fine game just coming up 1 point shy to a fine GRC team.

This season, they were simply the best team.  They seemed to still be on Christmas break losing for the only time to Madison Central by 17 at Lexington Catholic on December 27th.  They had a few other tough games along the way including a fine rally by GRC in the final, but the Dragons earned it!  Congratulations!

Especially @DragonFireand @BIG BLACK JACK! 

The Madison Central game it felt like they didn’t know who the team was because they was on the other side of the state. Came out flat and not taking them seriously and Madison central came out more then fired up for the game. 

A bit of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone has a copy of the Herald Leader with the article about Warren Central’s win that they’d be willing to part with, or knowledge of how someone could obtain one? 19 years ago the local Barnes and Noble carried the Herald Leader and I got a copy that next day. But they don’t carry it here anymore and I haven’t the slightest clue how I can get a copy. 

15 hours ago, DragonFire said:

A bit of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone has a copy of the Herald Leader with the article about Warren Central’s win that they’d be willing to part with, or knowledge of how someone could obtain one? 19 years ago the local Barnes and Noble carried the Herald Leader and I got a copy that next day. But they don’t carry it here anymore and I haven’t the slightest clue how I can get a copy. 

I would call the Herald Leader and ask someone about getting a copy.  I think they used to keep some or just have them around.  May not do it anymore but worth a call.

Kind of a side question here, but when did the Championship trophy change? Has to have been within last 3-4 years. Not the biggest fan of it. Loved the tall one with the four pillars. 

15 minutes ago, BIG BLACK JACK said:

Kind of a side question here, but when did the Championship trophy change? Has to have been within last 3-4 years. Not the biggest fan of it. Loved the tall one with the four pillars. 

Looks to me like 2012.  Christian County had the old style trophy here in 2011:

 

3-19-CC10.jpg?voting_enabled=&image_id=2

And here is Trinity with the far inferior version in 2012:

1g7eMd.So.79.jpg

I like the bigger trophy better, too. Something as tough to win and as important as a state basketball championship should have an eye-catching size trophy for fans to observe in their gym trophy cases. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.