Warren Central 64 George Rogers Clark 60 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

I’m not sure who’s the better team. Like last year, it’s probably a toss-up most nights. GRC had the tougher road the last few days, in terms of both opponents and (definitely) scheduling, yet still made a game of it. It’s frustrating that they can’t play the championship game on Sunday, but it is what it is.

All of that said, congrats to Warren Central on winning the championship!

From the KHSAA:

The 2023 UK HealthCare Boys’ Basketball Sweet 16® concluded inside Rupp Arena at Central Bank Center in Lexington on Saturday.

Warren Central earned its second Sweet 16® championship in school history (2004).

Game

Box Score

Semifinal 1

Warren Central 56, Woodford County 48

Semifinal 2

George Rogers Clark 51, Frederick Douglass 44

Final

Warren Central 64, George Rogers Clark 60

Video recordings of each postgame press conference from the Boys’ Sweet 16® can be found on the official YouTube Channel of the KHSAA.

· Bracket

· All-Tournament Team and Awards

• Like 1

I could not be more elated! The game took me through so many emotions. When they got up 16 I allowed myself to believe it was going to be an easy ride. I just tip my cap to Morton - he did not want to give it up and he almost willed them all the way back. But what I’ve seen of Warren Central in the last two years is they are so resilient. When teams come at them, they respond. That 4th quarter run George Rogers Clark put on them last year is one of the few times they blinked. Even tonight when George Rogers Clark worked back into it, it was more about them making plays than Warren Central wavering. But ultimately, my emotions landed on elation. Down court side as they played We Are The Champions… man I just let that wash over me. We’ve been through tough times as a school, and our basketball program is one of our shining lights. I am so proud of them, and proud to be a Dragon. And as proud as I am of the team, I’m even prouder for us to have a coach like Will Unseld. That man is a tremendous ambassador for the school and he builds up his players so much. I am so thankful he has been leading the program. 

GO DRAGONS! OUR TIME!!

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I could not be more elated! The game took me through so many emotions. When they got up 16 I allowed myself to believe it was going to be an easy ride. I just tip my cap to Morton - he did not want to give it up and he almost willed them all the way back. But what I’ve seen of Warren Central in the last two years is they are so resilient. When teams come at them, they respond. That 4th quarter run George Rogers Clark put on them last year is one of the few times they blinked. Even tonight when George Rogers Clark worked back into it, it was more about them making plays than Warren Central wavering. But ultimately, my emotions landed on elation. Down court side as they played We Are The Champions… man I just let that wash over me. We’ve been through tough times as a school, and our basketball program is one of our shining lights. I am so proud of them, and proud to be a Dragon. And as proud as I am of the team, I’m even prouder for us to have a coach like Will Unseld. That man is a tremendous ambassador for the school and he builds up his players so much. I am so thankful he has been leading the program. 

GO DRAGONS! OUR TIME!!

I am so happy for you DF. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Royals and Saints Fan said:

Congrats to WC, they are a great team with an outstanding coach.  I am not a GRC fan  but the tournament set up was totally unfair to GRC.  They literally got to the locker room at 3:30 today and had to be on the court for the finals at 6:30.  Are you serious?  That is totally wrong!

I agree, with that timeframe you wouldn't even have enough time to eat and properly digest your pregame meal for the biggest game in your life. 

• Like 1