Whitley 79 Williamsburg 43

The refs were not rookies. They also called the girls game. I would say that being tired effected their performance but they were terrible in that game to. The refs were not the differance. The Burg lost their composure during the big run. Dickie V. would have been screaming get a T.O. coach.

Yes at that point a T.O. should have been called by Coach Robinson...At one point in the 1st half Wburg had 11 fouls to Whitley's 2, but that is not the only reason Wburg lost...IMO the Burgs poor shooting killed them in this one...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at both the girls games and the boys game and yes the officials were bad. In the first half Whitley had 3 team fouls and Williamsburg had something like 12. In the second half (late before Williamsburg started fouling) Whitley had 11 team fouls and Williamsburg had two so that is a moot point. Like Huey Lewis says "cool is a rule but sometimes bad is bad"

Williamsburg is a more mature team and it should not surprise that they did defeat Whitley over in McCreary. Whitley held a double didiget lead in that game and due to youth and physical weakness folded under pressure.

Both teams were missing kids with injuries, Powers was out for Whitley and Labanion had a bad ankle, remeber he missed the South Laurel game. Whitley's trainers did a great job to even get him ready.

Friday Night, Deaton put #20 Roaden on McCray and he frustrated him with his tight defense. McCray hurt himself by being out of control going to the basket and getting two charging calls. Jamie Labanion had a solid night and Jordon McCumbers showed some nice defensive skills at times and made shots all night long. Every time the Jackets tried to make a run, this game Whitley responded with baskets and solid defense and did not fold. This is a sign that they are getting better. Whitley's players did not loose their composure when they were down 12-7, but their coach sure did and the kids responded and shut the door on the Jackets. Williamsburg did lose their composure during the big Whitley run and that should have never happened with the senior leadership they have.

I thought that #4 for Williamsburg came in and did a nice job running the team when McCray was out and had a calming effect on the team, why is he not used more?

Congrats to both teams and relatively clean game, and good luck the rest of the year.

Question.... Had Williamsburg won this game would there still be griping about the officiating? I was at this one and Williamsburg just didn't play as well as the Colonels. We can always blame the officials when we lose, when we should be looking at the poor play and maybe a few bad decisions on the players and coaches. The Burg was just outplayed last night, just that simple.

Yes at that point a T.O. should have been called by Coach Robinson...At one point in the 1st half Wburg had 11 fouls to Whitley's 2, but that is not the only reason Wburg lost...IMO the Burgs poor shooting killed them in this one...

Not only bad shooting but TERRIBLE shot selection which made the shooting worse.

The refs were not the differance. Lack of composure was. McRae picked a bad night to revert to last years form. He some times tries to hard and creates more problems than he solves. Overall this year he has been much improved. McCumbers three 3's changed the whole game. Lebanion is a horse and I look forward to seeing him at quarterback next year.

I watched both games and the girls game was definitely affected by the officials. I was being sarcastic when I said the refs needed more training it was evident that wouldn't help. I saw an article in the Corbin Times by (a certain sportwriter) about the officating problems. Since then I have taken a closer look and noticed he does have a point they do sometimes change the course of some games. I'm not saying Whitley wouldn't of won this game they did indeed outplay Williamsburg, in the boys game. I predict Williamsburg girls will defeat Whitley next year.

I predict Williamsburg girls will defeat Whitley next year.

LOL....you mean Whitley Central Girls Basketball.....The best players for Williamsburg are transfers........from Whiltey!!!! LOL

I think If the Lady Colonels hit their free throws they beat Williamsburg 25, McCullah did not score a point and they still won. Nope not gonna happen.

LOL....you mean Whitley Central Girls Basketball.....The best players for Williamsburg are transfers........from Whiltey!!!! LOL

I think If the Lady Colonels hit their free throws they beat Williamsburg 25, McCullah did not score a point and they still won. Nope not gonna happen.

McCullah has led Whitley in scoring 3 years in a row. She lives in the Williamsburg district and played middle school there. It was nice of Whitley to honor her during a Williamsburg game. Which one of those players do you want to trade her for. She is a great kid and I hope she does well at Berea.

Brim dominated last nights game. She was the differance. She played middle school at Corbin. Which one of those girls would play significant minutes at Whitley. I guess you would rather these children not play at all. Let the kids play.

Teague was missed tonignt along with Brandon Conlin who gets alot of playing time. On a neutral gym with officals who really don't care about the winner or loser of the game (the better team won)! Whitley did play well tonight, but the officals could of used more training.

Teague and Conlin are good players and contribute to each game. I think that Williamsburg needs to work together more as a team. No one individual can do it all. I think that the teamwork will get better as the team ages. The younger players on the team have played together for awhile and will work together better as a team. Williamsburg didn't play their best last night and the calls were bad but, it is not the end of the world. They will recover. Other players will step up and cover for the Teague/Conlin absence.

Speaking of girls basketball...what happened to Coach Deaton's daughter. I heard she left the team, school etc and moved back to Somerset? I thought she would really help the Lady Colonels as the post season arrived. I am sure coach A did not want to see her leave as well. Are there too many Chiefs and not enough Indians out there in the basketball circles?

That's not exactly true......Kat is from Penn.