2023 Saint Xavier Tigers

On 1/19/2023 at 7:49 AM, LongTimeReader said:

I know about some of the young offensive players coming up, but who are some of the young defensive players that can fill the shoes of the graduating seniors?

Ayier "AJ" Coates rotated in some at LB as a freshman last year so it wouldn't surprise me if he were to start.

Look forward to seeing him play and develop. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a number of sophomores to be getting some significant time on the varsity level. Also the current group of freshmen might just be a reason Coach Wallace sticks around a few more years in Poplar Level Rd. 

• Like 2

Schedule:

8/4: Scrimmage opponent not listed.
8/11: At Frederick Douglass (Scrimmage)
8/18: Floyd Central (IN)
8/25: At Central
9/1: Male
9/15: Elder (OH)
9/22: Trinity
9/29: At Ryle
10/6: At Manual
10/13: Meade County
10/20: At Pleasure Ridge Park
10/27: At Bowling Green

Overall looks like tough schedule. Meade County plugged into Butler's spot in district play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Schedule:

8/4: Scrimmage opponent not listed.

8/11: At Frederick Douglass (Scrimmage)

8/18: Floyd Central (IN)

8/25: At Central

9/1: Male

9/15: Elder (OH)

9/22: Trinity

9/29: At Ryle

10/6: At Manual

10/13: Meade County

10/20: At Pleasure Ridge Park

10/27: At Bowling Green

Overall looks like tough schedule. Meade County plugged into Butler's spot in district play.

Nice to the contract with the GCL's Elder renewed. Thought the battling Jesuits series with Cincinnati St. X was a really nice fit though. Sorry to see that has passed by the wayside. RPI planning a factor against playing two OoS teams? I get it, but ugh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Nice to the contract with the GCL's Elder renewed. Thought the battling Jesuits series with Cincinnati St. X was a really nice fit though. Sorry to see that has passed by the wayside. RPI planning a factor against playing two OoS teams? I get it, but ugh.

Floyd Central is out of state team so they are playing two. I'd like to play all the GCL South teams on a annual basis but that would really hurt RPI.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roundsteak said:

If X couldn’t get pass the 2nd round last year, I doubt this year will be much better. The offense was terrible. They had their best QB playing WR. The defense couldn’t win every game for them. Trinity will be the team to beat this year. 

I agree Trinity will be team to beat because of defense and a strong senior class. St. X offense should be improved but defense will be hard to match this year's unit.

15 hours ago, Roundsteak said:

If X couldn’t get pass the 2nd round last year, I doubt this year will be much better. The offense was terrible. They had their best QB playing WR. The defense couldn’t win every game for them. Trinity will be the team to beat this year. 

Struggled being consistent in the passing game last season; should be improved this year as they return their starting QB and a number of young receivers. OL returns 2 starters from last year, so that will be a work in progress early on. Lost by 1 last season to Male, and controlled the line of scrimmage with a passing game that was pretty non-existent that game. Things happen against quality teams. 

Trinity's defense will be very good, but just like X they have some question marks on offense heading into the 2023 season. 

• Like 1