Covington Catholic at Pikeville Predictions/Updates (8/27)

Who wins?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2022 at 11:00 PM

10 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Covcath should win. They were showing some signs of life in the 2nd half against Elder even though it was probably Elder's 2nd string.  I hope they go with Pitzer at QB. He looked better than the one that started the game. 

Covcath defense needs to get a lot better especially secondary.  I thought that was going to be their strength this year based on all the threads  I read before season started. Not very impressive so far in the scrimmage against SK or last week's game. 

If we lose to Pikeville then I can easily  see a 4-6 or 5-5 year for the Colonels. 

I agree with everything you said.   The secondary looked weak and the linebackers weren't much better.  

1 hour ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Covcath should win. They were showing some signs of life in the 2nd half against Elder even though it was probably Elder's 2nd string.  I hope they go with Pitzer at QB. He looked better than the one that started the game. 

Covcath defense needs to get a lot better especially secondary.  I thought that was going to be their strength this year based on all the threads  I read before season started. Not very impressive so far in the scrimmage against SK or last week's game. 

If we lose to Pikeville then I can easily  see a 4-6 or 5-5 year for the Colonels. 

The secondary didn’t look as expected in the off-season since we went from at least a very good corner (Mason) to NKY below average play opposite of Braylon Miller following Zion’s transfer.

CCH also dropped down Oliver Bent from safety to outside linebacker against Elder. That’s probably the 2 best players in that group preseason that aren’t in there now. 

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Cov Cath has 70 players on their roster. Pikeville has 61. Both schools have winning traditions that attract talent. 

CovCath has twice as many males as Pikeville, which is why they are in 5A and Pikeville is 1A. I understand the Panthers are/will be very good this year, my stance remains the same. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

CovCath has twice as many males as Pikeville, which is why they are in 5A and Pikeville is 1A. I understand the Panthers are/will be very good this year, my stance remains the same. 

True. My point is the very top small school programs can play with almost anyone in the state. A Pikeville win will not be a shock.

12 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Cov Cath has 70 players on their roster. Pikeville has 61. Both schools have winning traditions that attract talent. 

CovCath has 76 rostered players 10-12. Pikeville has 42 rostered players 10-12. Good numbers for both considering respective school sizes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Builder1214 said:

CovCath has 76 rostered players 10-12. Pikeville has 42 rostered players 10-12. Good numbers for both considering respective school sizes. 

13 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I counted 18 myself, but I was looking at the roster on my phone and easily could have missed one....so basically, yeah, Builder1214 is right.

I counted 18 freshmen for Pikeville also. Cov Cath has 5 managers on their roster. So Cov Cath has 70 upperclassmen and Pikeville has 43 upperclassmen.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:46 PM, DearToday said:

If Pikeville rolls with Boykins at QB1 I think they’ll win. If they go with the 2 QB system CC wins. 

The upside of Boykins is he gives the Panthers another dynamic threat in the run game. But CovCath may be able to sell out to stop the run because I'm not sold on his ability - or Pikeville's in general - to throw the football.

47 minutes ago, Bac2369 said:

A shocking stat for me from last game for Blake Birchfield. 15 carries only 47 yards. 

I'm sure Corbin was keying on him. He was basically the entirety of Pikeville's running game last year. Boykins will help take some of the heat off of him this season. It may cost him some yards and touches, though.

8 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

I'm sure Corbin was keying on him. He was basically the entirety of Pikeville's running game last year. Boykins will help take some of the heat off of him this season. It may cost him some yards and touches, though.

I agree. But how long before that staff makes the call on that. 

1 hour ago, Bac2369 said:

A shocking stat for me from last game for Blake Birchfield. 15 carries only 47 yards. 

26 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

Somehow or another I had him down as being a senior last year rather than a junior. He's definitely going to be someone to look out for on Saturday for the Colonels.