Covington Catholic at Pikeville Predictions/Updates (8/27)

Who wins?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2022 at 11:00 PM

1 hour ago, 4th&1 said:

Comical that Cov Cath would schedule a 1A school...

On the surface, I understand it may seem silly.

Pikeville is a championship program with a proud tradition. They will test CC up front and it will be no cake walk, IMO.

Additionally, no matter how down Cov Cath may seem to be, nobody is knocking at the door begging to play the Blue Colonels. A testament to their success if nothing else. I also feel like there aren't a surplus of opponents willing to schedule Pikeville either from the Eastern Kentucky area outside of the traditional thumpers. Personally, I like the match up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 4th&1 said:

Comical that Cov Cath would schedule a 1A school...

Considering how good Pikeville is I don't see any issue with it.  I think it is a good game for both teams.  Pikeville will be better prepared to win another state championship and CovCath gets the experience of a long road trip against a team that should be competitive with them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Considering how good Pikeville is I don't see any issue with it.  I think it is a good game for both teams.  Pikeville will be better prepared to win another state championship and CovCath gets the experience of a long road trip against a team that should be competitive with them. 

Agreed on all points. I like this game enough that it made my preseason list of games I'm looking forward to most.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, DevilMayCare said:

Pikeville vs. Covington Catholic in Pikeville (Pike County Bowl) on August 27th

Covington Catholic made a rare trip to the mountains last year for the Pike County Bowl and laid a beating on eventual 3A champion Belfry. This time, the Colonels return to the far reaches of EKY to tangle with the reigning kings of 1A. This marks the first ever meeting between these traditional powers. Both programs broke through on a statewide level at the same time. Each claimed their first state title in 1987 and then repeated the next year. The Panthers should start the season #1 in their class and CovCath is CovCath. The Colonels' run defense will be put to the test right out of the gate by last year's state rushing leader Blake Birchfield and a big, experienced Pikeville offensive line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Well said on the the road trip. Sometimes those trips payoff when you go on the road in the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In the RPI era, I wouldn't schedule a 1A team. If not concerned with RPI then have no problem playing 1A team.

Which provides more KHSAA RPI value:

A win over an 8-2 1A team

Or

A win over a 2-8 5A team

Added note - I believe a loss gets you basically zero regardless of class or record.

Anyone with knowledge, please provide input.

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In the RPI era, I wouldn't schedule a 1A team. If not concerned with RPI then have no problem playing 1A team.

I think to a large extent CovCath doesn't have the luxury of refusing competitive games no matter what the RPI implications are for them. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Which provides more KHSAA RPI value:

A win over an 8-2 1A team

Or

A win over a 2-8 5A team

Added note - I believe a loss gets you basically zero regardless of class or record.

Anyone with knowledge, please provide input.

I wouldn't play a 2-8 5A team either. Lol. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think to a large extent CovCath doesn't have the luxury of refusing competitive games no matter what the RPI implications are for them. 

People aren't beating down the door to play St. X but they aren't playing a 1A team. If going to play a 1A team then play the best like Pikeville.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

People aren't beating down the door to play St. X but they aren't playing a 1A team. If going to play a 1A team then play the best like Pikeville.

X is a couple of steps above CCH so it is apples to oranges. 

• Like 3