Stoops vs. Calipari

MaddenCurse44

I struggle with this one as someone who is not a UK fan.  Is what Calipari said untrue?  But even if UK is a basketball school (which lets face it, it is) it probably was not necessary for Cal to say what he said.  Are the facilities for UK basketball so bad it came to this?

Just for me observing this and following it on Twitter I think Cal could have "fixed this" if he would have come out the next day and said something to the effect that "well I really wanted to make my point about how far behind we are facility wise, but I didn't mean to downgrade the football program."  Instead he left it hanging in the air and now look what UK has - somewhat of a mess.

Is Stoops to be blamed for overreacting and adding fuel to the fire?  A lot of fans seem to want to blame him.  But from my perspective if Cal doesn't say what he said then Stoops doesn't have a bad reaction.  

Finally I was taken by surprise by the AD with his backhanded comments about being grateful as well as his comment about coaches change a lot.  And he was pretty clear that no plans were in the works to upgrade basketball facilities.  

One of the biggest things in our society today is over reaction.  From what I read Coach Calipari stated to Coach Stoops and the world that he was wrong in saying what he said.  Let. It. Go.   U K is on the verge of being a major player in so many sports:  Football, Basketball (Men's and Women's), Volleyball, Softball, Track and Field, Rifle, Cheerleading, Baseball.  The list goes on and on.  As a longtime U K fan I just want to celebrate and enjoy the moment; no in fighting just joy and unity.  Go CATS!

• Like 2

Cal is responsible for starting the mess, but I agree, he has already publicly stated that he should not have said what he said. I’m not sure what more can be asked for from him. Kentucky is a basketball school, so it’s not an untrue statement. I don’t blame Stoops for defending his program - he’s the only blameless party here IMO. He can’t be expected to just idly take what Cal said. 

The one who is really messing up here is Barnhart. A strong AD would get this taken care of out of the public eye. He not only didn’t do that, he joined in. Comments about coaches can change…. That’s just dumb. For one, they can’t afford to lose Stoops, who has been nothing short of miraculous for the football program. To act like they can just find another guy for him would be a real misstep. And the other guy just happens to have a real national title under his belt, something you don’t find on just any coach you bring in. UK fans are renowned for their overconfidence that they can just get whatever coach they want, but you sort of expect the AD to be more realistic. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

One of the biggest things in our society today is over reaction.  From what I read Coach Calipari stated to Coach Stoops and the world that he was wrong in saying what he said.  Let. It. Go.   U K is on the verge of being a major player in so many sports:  Football, Basketball (Men's and Women's), Volleyball, Softball, Track and Field, Rifle, Cheerleading, Baseball.  The list goes on and on.  As a longtime U K fan I just want to celebrate and enjoy the moment; no in fighting just joy and unity.  Go CATS!

I was not aware that Cal made an apology.   

• Like 1

1) Cal is not wrong but he phrased his point terribly and he knows it and has publicly acknowledged it.

2) Stoops angry reacted and has not publicly made overtures to heal this, but that is entirely human. His actions made this worse.

3) Those first two things are incredibly human and healable.

4) Mitch Barnhart's press conference was just chock full of stupid mistakes and it sounds like his entire handling of the situation has been horrible. If anyone comes out of this with longterm, lingering negative consequences, I think it will be him.

• Like 1

I've been trying to get worked up about this, but just can't get there with this one. Calipari made a haphazard statement. Not his first and will not be his last. He is a gabber. Stoops responded in defense. Ok. Barnhart seemed jealous of the shine and wanted to be seen as the big bad sheriff, when the correct reaction would have been not to say anything at all (publicly). Could it have long term ramifications? Maybe. But my guess is we will not hear anything more about it once sports' seasons get going in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

Very surprised someone hasn’t already started a thread about Cal’s comments that Ky was strictly a basketball school. With football season just around the corner, I just can’t help but think that the timing of such comments were in terrible timing and taste. Anxious to hear from others concerning this matter?

6 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Very surprised someone hasn’t already started a thread about Cal’s comments that Ky was strictly a basketball school. With football season just around the corner, I just can’t help but think that the timing of such comments were in terrible timing and taste. Anxious to hear from others concerning this matter?

2 hours ago, DragonFire said:

The one who is really messing up here is Barnhart. A strong AD would get this taken care of out of the public eye. He not only didn’t do that, he joined in. Comments about coaches can change…. That’s just dumb. For one, they can’t afford to lose Stoops, who has been nothing short of miraculous for the football program. To act like they can just find another guy for him would be a real misstep. And the other guy just happens to have a real national title under his belt, something you don’t find on just any coach you bring in. UK fans are renowned for their overconfidence that they can just get whatever coach they want, but you sort of expect the AD to be more realistic. 

Between the lack of diving in NIL.  Alcohol for the common fans at football games.  And how he handled this.  I think patience for Barnhart should be wearing thin.  Not the two coaches.

• Like 1

The Cal regime has been waiting for your thread.  Shocked it took so many days.

1) Calipari didn't say "strictly".

2) Calipari isn't wrong in what he said, but I wouldn't have gone that route.

3) Almost wouldn't have surprised me if Stoops and Calipari are both frustrated with Barnhart and they secretly whipped up this stupid drama for the media to run with it so that both programs could get what they wanted.

Much ado about nothing from Calipari and Stoops. Barnhart on the other hand, he's done a great job building the sports programs but I'm starting to wonder if it's time for someone else to take what he's accomplished and move on.

• Like 1

First, I must premise this by noting I'm not a big Calipari fan, never have been yet I cannot deny what he had done at UK.  Second, if anybody on this planet hears the word "Kentucky" and does not think of basketball, they're just not informed.  That being said, IMO if you are "the man" at a school regardless of sport you don't diss on your fellow coaches and other university sports.  UK football has had pretty decent success lately and it should be somewhat celebrated by all pulling in the same direction.  Calipari's mouth, as we all know, is a problem at times.  Again, IMO, I think the man's days are somewhat numbered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

The Cal regime has been waiting for your thread.  Shocked it took so many days.

1) Calipari didn't say "strictly".

2) Calipari isn't wrong in what he said, but I wouldn't have gone that route.

3) Almost wouldn't have surprised me if Stoops and Calipari are both frustrated with Barnhart and they secretly whipped up this stupid drama for the media to run with it so that both programs could get what they wanted.

Much ado about nothing from Calipari and Stoops. Barnhart on the other hand, he's done a great job building the sports programs but I'm starting to wonder if it's time for someone else to take what he's accomplished and move on.

I'm sure you may be right but Calipari should just keep his mouth shut at times or at least think about what he's saying.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2