Who is your school's best Coach of all time?

In reality IF you understand basketball, Ward's teams made the other team work for baskets, which led to some lower scoring games. With that said, his teams in the late 90's on a regular basis scored in the 70's and few times I know with the 1997 and 1998 teams they surpassed the century mark a few times. Ultimately I have to say to those who say boring to watch i.e. John Boy, Defense wins championships and just how many have the Musketeers won since he left?

I watched them once in an overtime in the Regional tournament stand with the ball the whole overtime. With under 10 seconds somebody went for a steal, they shot a layup and won it!

Lawrence County's would be Randy Anderson IMO.

Yes that was in the 1996 Tournament. GC's Point Guard Ryan Plummer held the ball to force the team out of playing zone and as soon as they came out guarded him he broke his man down off the dribble and dished it off for a layup. Needless to say I look at this as a stroke of genius, but you have to get kids to buy into this philosophy and for anyone who played for the man you would understand.

Mike Code is hands down one of the best coaches in the state. The best we've had at Brossart is there right now...

When he takes the Mustangs to Rupp Arena then you may have an argument...Until Then, Coach Schlarman would have to hold that title....

You all tend to forget that Allen Feldhaus coached at Mason County when Maysville had great teams, Fleming County had great teams, St. Pat had quality teams and this was just in the 39th district. Coach Feldhaus had to win a game to make it to the regional tournament and that game was not considered a free pass. Mason County won many district titles 7 or 8 in the 80's when the competition JUST in this district was very tough. Then Coach Feldhaus led Mason County to it's very first regional title (1981) and then won again in '82, 85, and '87. Coach Feldhaus is a hall of famer, he won with teams that didn't always have division one talent and he is a legend at Mason County.

I completely agree with you. Feldhaus is a legend. Not only is he a legend in Mason County, but in the rest of Kentucky as well. Well known man, for good reasons.

In reality IF you understand basketball, Ward's teams made the other team work for baskets, which led to some lower scoring games. With that said, his teams in the late 90's on a regular basis scored in the 70's and few times I know with the 1997 and 1998 teams they surpassed the century mark a few times. Ultimately I have to say to those who say boring to watch i.e. John Boy, Defense wins championships and just how many have the Musketeers won since he left?

They held the ball to keep the other team from scoring and called it a good defensive team. :argue:

Just noticed this thread, I'm sure he has to have been mentioned but there's only one individual when discussing the best coach at Covington Catholic all-time and that's Mote Hils.

No discussion needed on this one

They held the ball to keep the other team from scoring and called it a good defensive team. :argue:

Do you no t understand John Boy. When you make a team work in the half court on thier end of the court that's not holding the ball. On top of the fact if you are regualrly scoring in the 70's haow is that possible. I guess your philosophy is to just fire up a shot no matter what it looks like in hopes of maybe getting an offensive rebound. Just ask former Louisville Eastern and Male coach Bryce Hibbard how sticky a Randy Ward defense can be as his Musketeers held Lou. Eastern to fourty some points in a holiday tournament win in 1996. This same Eastern team won the state title a year later against a Ft. Thomas Highlands team that narrowly escaped GC in the 1997 State Tourney quarterfinals. Ultimately your philosphy is based on a gross lack of knowledge, ask any coach who has played in the big games.

• 4 weeks later...
And Meade Memorial.... A living legend in the mountains.

Also don't forget Russell Williamson from Inez (before most of your times) Won TWO state championships (1941 & 1954) with a very small school (Inez) and was also runner-up, also no other coach in the mountains can make this claim. Great thread to go and remember some of the really great people of yesteryear.:laugh:

Four active coaches I think are some of the best in the state are:

Hicks

Listerman

Riley

Woods

Coaching isn't as good now as it was a decade ago. The reasons are with the time demands and work envolved, most guys only stay with it 5-10 years and then go into administration. Coaching is not a 40 hr a week job. It has to consume a major part of your life to be successfull for the long haul. You have to love it.