2022-2023 Bengals Football (Information, Predictions, & General Discussion)

On 2/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, Bert said:

I'm not sure one AFC Championship in 30 years makes up for the all the failure under Mike Brown:

Since Brown became owner:

- the team has eight winning seasons out of 30

- In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins(288).

-In 2010, the team set a record for the fewest games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs) under one specific owner (314)

- It is the only team with three nine-game-or-more losing streaks.[

- It also holds six of the twenty-five 0-6 starts (24%)

-four of the thirteen 0-8 starts (31%)

-The Bengals have gone winless in October nine different times in twenty-two years under five different head coaches 

-the team obtained the NFL's longest active drought for playoff wins during his tenure

-In 2009, Yahoo sports ranked Brown as the second worst owner in the NFL.  In 2015, Rolling Stone ranked Mike Brown as the 9th worst sports owner

Again, I am glad the Bengals won the NFC this year but based on his history, I have to believe it is in spite of Mike Brown, not because of Mike Brown.

Art Rooney had one of the worst teams in football for near 4 decades, then the 70's rolled around.  

Bengals Offensive line coach Frank Pollack shared his thoughts on what the Bengals are looking for in FA offensive linemen:

“Well, scheme fit. We need guys who are athletic, who can run, who can play at the second level in the run game. Guys who can bend, who can anchor in protection," Pollack said. "Guys who show the can play with length, can punch, guys who obviously are smart. Those all go into it. There’s a myriad of other factors that go into it. I guess you can say that’s out of my bailiwick, but just from what I see on tape and then does he fit in the room? Is he a leader? Is he a guy that’s gonna be that alpha male? Is he a guy that’s gonna be more reserved? I’d love to have more leadership in the room, love to have more alpha males in the room, can’t get enough of those guys. Would love to have more what I call glasseaters in the room. Can never have enough of those guys. That’s what this league requires. Those are the kinda offensive linemen that we’re looking for.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/frank-pollack-cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-offensive-linemen

So scheme fit, athletic, can run, can bend, and can anchor in addition to being alpha male glasseaters. 🙂

I know that Gronk was in the news for saying he'd love to play with Burrow, but today the Giants released Kyle Rudolph (Elder HS and ND.). Any chance he ends his career in his hometown as a Bengal?  I know his best years are behind him, but getting Burrow another big check-down target can't hurt.

13 hours ago, The Raven said:

I know that Gronk was in the news for saying he'd love to play with Burrow, but today the Giants released Kyle Rudolph (Elder HS and ND.). Any chance he ends his career in his hometown as a Bengal?  I know his best years are behind him, but getting Burrow another big check-down target can't hurt.

How well does he block?  That's what intrigued me more about Gronk, I believe he's a pretty solid blocking TE too.

15 hours ago, The Raven said:

Any chance?  Sure, maybe.  Never say never.  That being said, re-signing Uzomah has got to be a much higher priority, in my opinion.  Stats aside, CJ's presence in the locker room can't be ignored.  So, if you can re-sign him, and Rudolph's still available for a lower, bargain basement deal...then maybe.  Otherwise, I'd expect them to see if Moss can push Sample for more playing time as the #2.  But any TE news has got to start with CJ coming back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Any chance?  Sure, maybe.  Never say never.  That being said, re-signing Uzomah has got to be a much higher priority, in my opinion.  Stats aside, CJ's presence in the locker room can't be ignored.  So, if you can re-sign him, and Rudolph's still available for a lower, bargain basement deal...then maybe.  Otherwise, I'd expect them to see if Moss can push Sample for more playing time as the #2.  But any TE news has got to start with CJ coming back.

No doubt.  Signing CJ is, and should be, their top priority at TE.  For all you said and the fact that he's younger than Gronk or Kyle.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, futurecoach said:

All the stats and info is completely true. However, at what point is it ok for people to stop holding the past from 20 to 30 years ago against someone and move on and realize someone probably has changed some over the years and not doing things the same as they once was that led to all those horrible records? From 91 to 2002 was some horrible football and was because of how bad the ownership was. No argument there, however it is those years people seem to be stuck on, when thinking about the Bengals, and those years literally were over 20 years ago. 

Starting with Marvin in 2003 they did start to change. Up until Marvin under Mike Brown they just kept promoting from within, and finally went on the outside to get a coach. Not only that going out and getting a top assistant coach that happened to be a minority and deserved the chance, even though other owners weren’t willing to do that. Then under Mike Brown and Marvin put a team together in 2005 that was truly a Super Bowl contending team, before Palmer got his knee taken out, and that was a good line too when that happened. 

2009 swept the division and won the North. Then from 2011 to 2015 being able to move past the Palmer drama and putting together legit one of the best rosters in the NFL with 5 straight playoff appearance which majority of teams can not consistently do, and honestly both 2013 and 2015 were teams talented enough to win the Super Bowl.

Obviously no playoff wins during that time, until this year sucked. However, there is a lot of fan bases that would have loved to have done what the Bengals have done from 2003 to this point. Because 8 playoff appearances, 5 division titles, 1 Conference Championship, and also still being set up currently for a good run it looks like for many years. 

We’re some of the decisions under Mike Brown frustrating through the years? Absolutely! Have they actually done a better job and built better teams with more success than lot of teams since 2003? Even though people won’t want to admit it, but answer to that is yes. 

At some point some of you all have to move past your old feelings, and realize he has gotten better. Then especially after how they spent money the last two off seasons, there is no reason to think they won’t do it again this year to now fix the line. I think they thought getting Pollack back for the OL, Reiff at tackle, and using a high pick on a lineman would be enough. They now seen they were wrong, and I truly believe they will make sure they do more to fix the line now. 

Maybe the best post you’ve ever had FC!!

• Like 2

Chitter chatter heating up that the Bengals are interested in Dallas RT La'el Collins.

From si.com:

The Bengals would have Collins under contract for the next three seasons at $10 million per year. He wouldn't have any guaranteed money remaining in his deal, so Cincinnati could release him at any time. They'd essentially have him for three, one-year deals worth $10 million per season. It would give them plenty of flexibility moving forward. 

The familiarity doesn't stop there. Collins is represented by Peter Schaffer, who is also the agent for Bengals running back Joe Mixon and former Bengal Adam "Pacman" Jones. 

The article also claims Collins is the 2nd best tackle on the FA market.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/three-reasons-why-potential-bengals-trade-lael-collins-makes-sense-in-quest-protect-joe-burrow?

Is Collins a good fit for Cincy, it sure sounds like it?

Who Dey!

17 minutes ago, theguru said:

Chitter chatter heating up that the Bengals are interested in Dallas RT La'el Collins.

From si.com:

The Bengals would have Collins under contract for the next three seasons at $10 million per year. He wouldn't have any guaranteed money remaining in his deal, so Cincinnati could release him at any time. They'd essentially have him for three, one-year deals worth $10 million per season. It would give them plenty of flexibility moving forward. 

The familiarity doesn't stop there. Collins is represented by Peter Schaffer, who is also the agent for Bengals running back Joe Mixon and former Bengal Adam "Pacman" Jones. 

The article also claims Collins is the 2nd best tackle on the FA market.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/three-reasons-why-potential-bengals-trade-lael-collins-makes-sense-in-quest-protect-joe-burrow?

Is Collins a good fit for Cincy, it sure sounds like it?

Who Dey!

Get him. Keep Riley Reiff. Move Reiff or Williams to guard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Get him. Keep Riley Reiff. Move Reiff or Williams to guard.

That is my mostly fanboy take.  Sign Collins, sign one more elite OL FA then take a couple of shots in the draft too.

Who Dey!

Sounds like the Bengals are going to be signing G Alex Cappa from Tamp Bay for $40 million over 4 years.

Was just reading that he played every single offensive snap last year and only had one penalty.  Tampa Bay hard arguably the best OLine last year, which allowed the least amount of sacks.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Sounds like the Bengals are going to be signing G Alex Cappa from Tamp Bay for $40 million over 4 years.

Was just reading that he played every single offensive snap last year and only had one penalty.  Tampa Bay hard arguably the best OLine last year, which allowed the least amount of sacks.

Here we go!

35 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

8 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Here we go!

Here is what si.com has to say about him, sounds solid but not elite:

"Alex Cappa is a solid starting right guard who has improved every year in NFL," Ledyard tweeted. "He also played through a broken arm and tried to stay in a game with a broken leg. Don't know how high the ceiling is bc he lacks great tools/athleticism. But great technique is his calling card... He's a tough, team-first guy with an ultra-physical mentality."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/heres-what-alex-cappa-brings-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line

Hopefully we sign a good tackle too and then on to the draft.

• Like 1