Beechwood vs. Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Beechwood vs. Mayfield   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

A few random observations:

- Morris and Rash are two of the best in the business. Coaching is basically a wash, aside from the 6-0 head to head in favor of Morris, but I wouldn't expect Rash to allow that to play a roll here. 

- If there's anything working against Beechwood, it's that they haven't been in a competitive game in close to two months. Can they simply flip that switch to avoid a slow start? Despite the talent and experience the Tigers possess, you don't want to wait too long to get your teeth into a game against Mayfield.

- This is a game where Mayfield might really miss Jax Rogers. His presence would be a huge plus in the middle of the defense against Hergott.

-Both teams protect the football, so turnovers could be at a premium. Beechwood has turned it over just six times all season, Mayfield eight. Mayfield's total includes the four fumble outlier against Caldwell County. As VoR said in his opener, Hergott has been picked off three times, Cartwright only once. 

- We know all about Hergott, but Cartwright has been sharp as well. He might not be able to do everything Hergott can, but he has his strengths, and accuracy and decision making appear to be among them. 

- It's always fun to see programs on the come up, like Woodford County or Middlesboro. But Beechwood vs. Mayfield the day after Thanksgiving is hard to beat. Dynasties help give shape to the world of sport, and these are two of the best we have to offer.

• Like 12

14 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Safe travels! You are right. As I have said repeatedly, anyone who doesn't think this game will be close is fooling themselves. I think this will be more of a defensive game than some think. Beechwood's defense this year is outstanding. Only 2 teams have scored more than one TD against Beechwood - 6A Dixie Heights and 6A Simon Kenton and Simon Kenton's last 2 TD's came after the running clock had started. Dixie Heights is the only team that scored more than a TD against Beechwood's starters. I know Mayfield prides themselves on their defense as well. I think they have to hold Beechwood to less than 21 points to win. If Mayfield scores more than 21 points, I will be surprised. But Mayfield has surprised me before.

Dixie had every chance to win that game. IMO they had the better team that night but made some really bad calls late combined with some stupid penalties. 

1 minute ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I like it when you can see who's picked who.

Me too, on a sports site like BGP I can't think of any reason not to share the votes but again it is a software thing and the default is not to show the votes and that is why it happens sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Class 2A:

Lexington Christian Academy 110.67
Beechwood 102.29
Mayfield   82.76
Middlesboro 67.45

Looking over TP94's Power Rankings and trying to uncover the algorithm.  I would add 3 or 4 TD's for the Shock and Awe.   

Are you coming to Fort Mitchell Toothpick?

This is a game where one or two turnovers can shift the entire game and let one team stay in the lead till the end. Beechwood hasn’t been tested in a couple months and I look for that to contribute to a slow start. Mayfield will be amped and ready for the battle. Cardinals 23 Tigers 21.  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Glider said:

This is a game where one or two turnovers can shift the entire game and let one team stay in the lead till the end. Beechwood hasn’t been tested in a couple months and I look for that to contribute to a slow start. Mayfield will be amped and ready for the battle. Cardinals 23 Tigers 21.  

Glider you are back to your old ways! Tigers are too much for the Cardinals this year. Tigers 42 Mayfield 14.

2 minutes ago, hector607 said:

Glider you are back to your old ways! Tigers are too much for the Cardinals this year. Tigers 42 Mayfield 14.

It’s been a while, Hector! Good to hear from you again. Certainly won’t be surprised at a Beechwood victory but a 28 point blow it would surprise me. I think Mayfield will try to control the clock. 

2 minutes ago, Glider said:

It’s been a while, Hector! Good to hear from you again. Certainly won’t be surprised at a Beechwood victory but a 28 point blow it would surprise me. I think Mayfield will try to control the clock. 

What Mayfield games have you watched this year make you say that? I know you’re quite the traveler?

1 minute ago, hector607 said:

What Mayfield games have you watched this year make you say that? I know you’re quite the traveler?

I didn’t make it down to Mayfield this year 😔. However, I watched a couple games and if they can get their running game going, like last week, they should be able to control the game. Maybe a turnover or two as well 😉