Murray at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The Cardinals have lost 4 home games since 2008.  Twice to 6A McCracken and now.... Twice to Murray!!

Is Mayfield still the favorite on Friday?  No doubt!!  They are playing at home vs a common rival they have dominated for decades.  They are a high powered offense that can strike at any time.  No one comes into CFSB War Memorial in the playoffs and leaves with a win... right??  Ask the Tigers 🤣

Cartwright has been impressive vs his Sophomore campaign and has limited his adverse production to 1 interception all season.  Daniel Coles is a ball hawk on both sides of the ball and can change the game single handedly.  Kylan Galbreath is one of the most impressive back the West has to offer.  What can go wrong 🤷‍♂️

Murray is coming off a home win vs Caldwell Co (27-13), respectively.  They averaged 4.1 yards on the ground vs the toughest D-Line they have faced to date.  For the Tigers, anything over 3 yards and a cloud of dust is a positive.  They kept the ball over 32 minutes.  They will take that too!  Even with two turnovers, Murray was able to control the line of scrimmage better than they have the entire season.  The game was not as close as the score ended.

For anyone that has not watched film on this Murray team... here is a run down.  The only team that has been able to stop this offense is.... Murray!  In their two losses, Union Co scored 3 TD off special teams and Murray had 3 turnovers.  The first game vs Caldwell, Murray had 4 turnovers with three of them in their own red zone. 

I believe the Cardinals will not sit back in a 4 man front held the entire first game.  Murray averaged 4.12 yard/carry.  I think they will come out in a 5-3, 6-2 look and play man on the outside.  The question is, does Mayfield have enough down linemen to play 4 quarters vs this Tiger style of offense?  I believe the strength of this Mayfield defense is their speed at linebacker & the secondary.  Not sure if this defense is set up well for this Friday.

My prediction(s) 

Zero Murray turnovers

21-14 Murray

2+ Murray turnovers

28-14 Mayfield

• Like 5

Think Mayfield wins this by a couple of scores but I like what I see out of this Murray team. It's impressive how they run the option. I've seen inside veer, outside veer, midline, mix in a dive to keep you honest and rocket toss counter is sort of their big play. Murray's QB will pull it past the line of scrimmage haven't seen this since the 80's when triple option was the thing. Specially impressive for a QB who's a Senior running the option for the first time.  Mayfield ran a 40 front the first game be interesting to see if they go to a odd look this week. 

• Like 2

Just now, gcbleedblue said:

I too, believe Mayfield will win, but these by 3 or 4 td calls are a little disrespectful in my opinion. They beat Mayfield 2 times in a row and it honestly should be 3.

I believe Mayfield will win too but there have been times in recent memory I thought Highlands would win too and we all know how that worked out. 

Against an offense like Murray if they are successful at running the ball and eating clock it turns Mayfield's offensive possessions into must score drives.  If Murray is able to get a 2 possession lead it is difficult to overtake them unless you can cause turnovers.  The flip side is if Mayfield is able to get a 2 possession lead weather it comes from stops, special teams, or turnovers Murray will have trouble to overtake them.  I predict Mayfield to win but I don't think it will be by a large margin due to the style of play from Murray.  I see a 10 point or less game for either team.

I am hearing through a good source that one school is not happy with the officials assigned the game and are trying to get them moved from the game. It appears they are a very inexperienced crew that has not had much luck in big games.  Will be interesting to see who wins out on this one. 

6 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

I am hearing through a good source that one school is not happy with the officials assigned the game and are trying to get them moved from the game. It appears they are a very inexperienced crew that has not had much luck in big games.  Will be interesting to see who wins out on this one. 

Does anyone know if there is any precedent for disqualifying an officiating crew?