“IF” Highlands beats Covington Catholic.

Bac2369

Highlands started the season out hot with 3 big wins. They got a huge win to start the season out over Bowling Green. They then come out and torched Simon Kenton. The week after that they put a beat down on Campbell County. Week 4 rows around and then after until this past week, it seems like the wheels have fell off the bus. The Bluebirds was on a 4 game losing streak. They lost to ArchBishop McNicolas, Ryle, Dixie Heights, and district opponent Conner. They did however put a running clock on Boone County last week to put them at 4-4 on the season.

If Highlands beats Covington Catholic this year will there season be successful? It’s been a few years since there last win against them. Or is this a Championship or bust?

• Bac2369 changed the title to “IF” Highlands beats Covington Catholic.
17 minutes ago, Bac2369 said:

Highlands started the season out hot with 3 big wins. They got a huge win to start the season out over Bowling Green. They then come out and torched Simon Kenton. The week after that they put a beat down on Campbell County. Week 4 rows around and then after until this past week, it seems like the wheels have fell off the bus. The Bluebirds was on a 4 game losing streak. They lost to ArchBishop McNicolas, Ryle, Dixie Heights, and district opponent Conner. They did however put a running clock on Boone County last week to put them at 4-4 on the season.

If Highlands beats Covington Catholic this year will there season be successful? It’s been a few years since there last win against them. Or is this a Championship or bust?

“Big” wins is being thrown around pretty loosely. BG is 3-4, SK is 1-6 and Campbell is 1-6 and Boone has been struggling for a decade.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

SK is on a down year it seems.  Campbell is not relevant at all and has not been for years.   Boone is a work in progress that is just starting to work on progress. Highlands will get there.  Just not seeing it for at least 2 years. Highlands has talent but I feel the fans just can’t wait for the development to take place.  

12 minutes ago, YOUTH2019 said:

SK is on a down year it seems.  Campbell is not relevant at all and has not been for years.   Boone is a work in progress that is just starting to work on progress. Highlands will get there.  Just not seeing it for at least 2 years. Highlands has talent but I feel the fans just can’t wait for the development to take place.  

Trust me when I say this, the Highlands fans are good. At least the ones I know. You are right with the talent comment. It's there. Unfortunately bad habits are hard to break. Its going to take that 2 years like you said. The fans that know, know. Sure, would love to have a better record at this point, but I see progress as well as a lot of others. Like I said, agree 2 years to get rid of the bad habits!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Trust me when I say this, the Highlands fans are good. At least the ones I know. You are right with the talent comment. It's there. Unfortunately bad habits are hard to break. Its going to take that 2 years like you said. The fans that know, know. Sure, would love to have a better record at this point, but I see progress as well as a lot of others. Like I said, agree 2 years to get rid of the bad habits!

There are simply kids in the program that just plain don't know how to Win. Why would they know any different. Noway people thought the New staff was going to flip a Switch. Way too many things broken that needs fixed. Someone told me the other day that Highlands has helmets in their program that are from 2012. What? How can that be? I'm told not all but at least half the program is outfitted in refurbished Headgear. Technology is leaps and bounds better just in the last 5 years much less 9 years ago. Can't believe that's the case. My kid wouldn't be wearing a School issued helmet. Noway! My goodness Highlands has lowered their standards. Hopefully that's being fixed. I remember hearing Dale would really spend the money on his kids and made sure they had the very best of the best. I agree that this is a multi year project. The system the kids are learning isn't something that's just absorbed overnight. It will take some time. Hopefully Coach Sphire gets the same time the previous Staff got.

2 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

There are simply kids in the program that just plain don't know how to Win. Why would they know any different. Noway people thought the New staff was going to flip a Switch. Way too many things broken that needs fixed. Someone told me the other day that Highlands has helmets in their program that are from 2012. What? How can that be? I'm told not all but at least half the program is outfitted in refurbished Headgear. Technology is leaps and bounds better just in the last 5 years much less 9 years ago. Can't believe that's the case. My kid wouldn't be wearing a School issued helmet. Noway! My goodness Highlands has lowered their standards. Hopefully that's being fixed. I remember hearing Dale would really spend the money on his kids and made sure they had the very best of the best. I agree that this is a multi year project. The system the kids are learning isn't something that's just absorbed overnight. It will take some time. Hopefully Coach Sphire gets the same time the previous Staff got.

They got new helmets but all of them haven’t came in yet because of COVID-19 some of the players have the shcutt F7 helmets.

19 hours ago, YOUTH2019 said:

I wouldn’t say 2 years I give next year I’ve seen what and who they have next year will be the year Highlands is back up and running again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Helmets have a shelf life (think 10 years) and it’s also a requirement for them to be sent out after each season for an inspection.  The inspection company determines which helmets are useable & which are not.  New helmets were bought to replace the shelf life & out of commission helmets.

From what I was told by Equipment reps, Weinrich followed the same process for helmets that Mueller did.  His main concern was protecting the players in all safety requirements, even regarding the required pads. 

I’m confused how a player doesn’t know how to win.  Every player and coach prepares to win.  Never known of any to prepare to not win.  HHS beat Ryle, Dixie, & Conner last season; seems like they ‘know’ how to win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

There were A LOT of older helmets and equipment that should have been replaced before it actually was. However, all of the equipment that was given to players was safe and certified. Was it top of the line like Coach Mueller always insisted on having? No. But by no means was it unsafe. It just wasn’t up to the quality that HHS players of the past were used to. It 100% should have been handled differently and I know for a fact there were opportunities for it to be replaced in a cost effective and proper manner but those opportunities were not taken advantage of… I’ll leave it at that. 

The issue has been resolved and the administration has spent thousands of dollars to order new helmets so that the players are equipped to the highest of standards; they will literally be wearing what SEC/NFL programs are wearing as soon the helmets come in. 

It isn’t just on the field issues that HHS is trying to correct. So many, if not more, behind the scenes issues need to be corrected too. My old man used to say “appearances are just that… you never know what’s going on behind closed doors”. 

Stay the course. Go Birds! 

• Like 3

No worries. Help is definitely on the way in the lower grades and middle school. The 8th grade alone has 60 kids playing football. We’ll be just fine starting next year after these boys hit the weight room hard under coach Sphires program and those in the know are excited for what’s to come, including the Coaching staff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Weasbird91 said:

No worries. Help is definitely on the way in the lower grades and middle school. The 8th grade alone has 60 kids playing football. We’ll be just fine starting next year after these boys hit the weight room hard under coach Sphires program and those in the know are excited for what’s to come, including the Coaching staff.

Unfortunately this has been the same statement/feeling from the last 5-6 years.  “Middle school talent” and “help is on the way” has not translated to the usual success.  

I really hope the program turns the corner.