USC Fires Head Football Coach

Bert

12 hours ago, John Anthony said:

If I’m Luke Fickell I tell SC that my number begins with a 6.

Fickell turned down Michigan St and $5 mil a year to go back to UC for $3.4. He just isn't a dude that's motivated by money. He's very methodical with any and every decision he makes.

That's why I always laugh when his name comes up with these "name" programs and money is the first reason listed for why he'd leave by fans of other programs and national guys. If he told Texas he wasn't interested during their search, I doubt his mind is going to change when it comes to USC. 

And we both know there's zero chance Amy is letting him move her and 6 kids that far away from her family. 

Names I've seen brought up that USC has a legit shot with are Bob Stoops, Eric Bieniemy (OC for Chiefs), and Art Briles. 

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Fickell turned down Michigan St and $5 mil a year to go back to UC for $3.4. He just isn't a dude that's motivated by money. He's very methodical with any and every decision he makes.

That's why I always laugh when his name comes up with these "name" programs and money is the first reason listed for why he'd leave by fans of other programs and national guys. If he told Texas he wasn't interested during their search, I doubt his mind is going to change when it comes to USC. 

Names I've seen brought up that USC has a legit shot with are Bob Stoops, Eric Bieniemy (OC for Chiefs), and Art Briles. 

I agree that’s why if I’m him I makeup a really high number.  Money is still money and he has a soccer team full of kids lol. I agree though, the “fit” and the “people” are a big deal to him.

• Like 1

Hallelujah!!! Made my night!!! He should have never been the Head Coach at a blue blood, let alone a powerhouse high school program. His culture is soft and he is the ultimate butt kisser. Donte Williams is the interim Head Coach. He is one of the top recruiters in the country. AD Mike Bohn already has a few coaches in mind. Insiders suggest he will go after Urban Meyer, Luke Fickell, and Matt Campbell. Another name tossed about is Bob Stoops. Donte and the rest of the staff will try to change the culture for the rest of the year. I feel you will see better football from the Trojans. No excuse for that performance Saturday night. Pathetic and all on Helton.

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

Where does SC rank as a job right now?

I have always thought of it as a tier two coaching job.  Tier one is OSU, Bama, Texas and Notre Dame, the jobs you RARELY see coaches turn down job offers from.  Tier 2 is OU, SC and.......I would have to think of some others.  

USC used to be Tier 1 but has slipped one level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Anthony said:

I agree that’s why if I’m him I makeup a really high number.  Money is still money and he has a soccer team full of kids lol. I agree though, the “fit” and the “people” are a big deal to him.

OSU and Notre Dame are the only two programs that I worry about with him. Penn State as well, but I really don't think he wants to be on the other side of any OSU "rivalry." 

USC might be able to pay him a ridiculous amount of money but the culture out there doesn't come close to aligning with his personal values.

As for other potential candidates, Oregon has owned the West Coast recently when it comes to recruiting. USC simply isn't as big of a national brand as they once were, IMO. They're not beating out Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, and even Oregon as often as they once were for the top kids outside of Cali.

USC can be rebuilt back to a national power with the right coach because of the unlimited resources that they have, but they can't be rebuilt on name alone. It's going to take a Pete Carroll type hire to get them "back."