2021 COVID-19 Cancellations/Reschedules

3 minutes ago, HedgeHog8 said:

I'm confused as to how teams are rescheduling games. Per KHSAA rule, you are only allowed one varsity football contest each week with a maximum of 10 games in a season prior to the first round of the playoffs. If Team A wins via Team B forfeiting due to covid, there is a win and a loss recorded for each team respectively.

If you reschedule a game, are coaches forgoing the forfeit win in order to play another game? (1 game/week rule)

If you reschedule week 1, are these teams going to lose out on their later games? (10 game/season rule)

Looking for any clarification

Let me clarify myself:

I understand that Team A and Team B can reschedule for a later date. What I'm confused about is Team A getting a forfeit win and playing Team C in the same week.

12 minutes ago, HedgeHog8 said:

Let me clarify myself:

I understand that Team A and Team B can reschedule for a later date. What I'm confused about is Team A getting a forfeit win and playing Team C in the same week.

If the non-quarantining team (who was originally awarded a forfeit win) manages to scramble and schedule another team, then the game with the original opponent is nullified all together. So no forfeit loss for the quarantining team, and no forfeit win for the healthy team. The game is removed from the schedule.

We've got that discussion going on in another thread now if you want to join in there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got a question from a coaching friend today: if a team has to cancel on a Friday but their players are out of quarantine by Monday, could they push the Friday game to Monday and still play the next Friday? Effectively I’m asking can you play on Monday and Friday of the same week?

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Got a question from a coaching friend today: if a team has to cancel on a Friday but their players are out of quarantine by Monday, could they push the Friday game to Monday and still play the next Friday? Effectively I’m asking can you play on Monday and Friday of the same week?

I feel like I remembering one of the KHSAA special sessions on YouTube last year and hearing Commissioner Tackett say something specific about the idea of playing games on Monday....I can't remember if he was saying it would be okay or it wouldn't be, though.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

By rule I believe you can. No player is allowed to play more than 8 quarters in a week. Typically Saturday through Friday. OT counts as an extension of the 4th quarter. Now from a game prep position I’m not sure many teams would want to do that. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, barrel said:

By rule I believe you can. No player is allowed to play more than 8 quarters in a week. Typically Saturday through Friday. OT counts as an extension of the 4th quarter. Now from a game prep position I’m not sure many teams would want to do that. 

The only Monday game I can remember in the last twenty years was, I believe, Ashland/Sheldon Clark in 2001. It was canceled the week of 9/11 and rescheduled. Might be someone on here who can confirm/clarify that a bit more. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I'm going to say, with 95% certainty, that you cannot play 2 varsity contests in a single week, regardless of the limitation of quarters. We had a rain out last year and won the game because we could not reschedule (for the next night nor for an open week) with the opponent. We suggested finishing on Monday but both teams were told that we couldn't play varsity twice in the same week. Thus, we won. 

• Thanks 1