Summer Vacations

Kenny Powers

Where is everyone going, or where did you go, this summer?

For years my family has spent a week or two in Michigan (Mackinac Island) and we are headed there again on Sunday. We are talking about going somewhere new next year and I would love to hear some suggestions on where to go or maybe where not to go! 

Maui was our big one at the tail end of Spring. Glad we did it when we did, before the crowds descended upon the islands.

Beyond that, our Summer plans are kind of blah. We go to Duluth (really cool city) in about a month and Vegas for a long weekend in September. We are gearing up for next Summer where we plan to do some combination of Portugal/Spain or Greece.

@Kenny Powers if you're into the UP area, you may like Duluth and parts just north of there.

Didn’t go anywhere last summer. Smokies this spring, St. Augustine the first week of August; and hopefully Idaho in the not too distant future.  We have an 18 month-old granddaughter we haven’t met yet. 

14 hours ago, bugatti said:

Maui was our big one at the tail end of Spring. Glad we did it when we did, before the crowds descended upon the islands.

Beyond that, our Summer plans are kind of blah. We go to Duluth (really cool city) in about a month and Vegas for a long weekend in September. We are gearing up for next Summer where we plan to do some combination of Portugal/Spain or Greece.

@Kenny Powers if you're into the UP area, you may like Duluth and parts just north of there.

I have heard the Duluth is fun! I might need to check it out. We love the UP area this time of the year because of the weather is so comfortable in the height of summer.

Greece is awesome. Incredible food and culture. Once you get there, we found that a lot of the islands are incredibly cheap to eat/drink and tour. 

17 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Where is everyone going, or where did you go, this summer?

For years my family has spent a week or two in Michigan (Mackinac Island) and we are headed there again on Sunday. We are talking about going somewhere new next year and I would love to hear some suggestions on where to go or maybe where not to go! 

Love Mackinac Island!  We, too, have vacationed in the UP for many, many years over in the Les Cheneaux Islands, just about a half-hour away.  (Haven't been up since 2017 though, as we've had other destinations that we wanted to hit with our son before he graduated this year.)

Last year was shocking to see the pictures posted on Facebook about the water height on Lake Huron/Michigan.  Crazy high!  But, according to what I've seen this year, it seems like it's back down to more "normal" levels.  That's a freaky amount of water to go up and then come back down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I have heard the Duluth is fun! I might need to check it out. We love the UP area this time of the year because of the weather is so comfortable in the height of summer.

Greece is awesome. Incredible food and culture. Once you get there, we found that a lot of the islands are incredibly cheap to eat/drink and tour. 

Yeah, check out the North Shore. So basically, Duluth is on the far south end of it, then the entire region north of it has a lot to offer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Went to Orange Beach at the end of May/early June.  Our fourth time going to that area (Gulf Shores, Perdido Key, Orange Beach).  We really enjoy it there.

Heading to Orange Beach for a world softball fastpitch tournament in gulf shores, have never been, im a sea food junkie, any recommendations.  We usually do a cruise, still have one on hold, I’m waiting to see how things shake out on cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allsport71 said:

Heading to Orange Beach for a world softball fastpitch tournament in gulf shores, have never been, im a sea food junkie, any recommendations.  We usually do a cruise, still have one on hold, I’m waiting to see how things shake out on cruises.

You’re asking Parker for seafood recommendations?  The guy doesn’t eat anything that didn’t have a cloven foot. 

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, allsport71 said:

Not a seafood fan at all, but Cobalt is the name all the locals seem to enjoy. 

• Like 1

We just returned from St. Augustine. It was the whole family vacation. Two sons , daughter in laws , my wife and three grand daughters. Ages 2,4,and 10. Everyone had a great time, but I feel like i`m needing to go back to work to rest up. Me and the mrs. will go back in November and it will probably be a little more relaxing. 

Went to Lake Norman outside Charlotte, NC for a week last year...headed back again in about 2 weeks.

Lake Norman is about 2/3 the size of Lake Cumberland, but the houses are right there on the water, and unlike Lake Norris, there's only like a 14ft change in elevation from the house to the water, so you don't have to walk down like 80 steps.

Here's the view of the house from the edge of the dock.

image.png.9547eb356275cc18b28b5400413b60af.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Went to Lake Norman outside Charlotte, NC for a week last year...headed back again in about 2 weeks.

Lake Norman is about 2/3 the size of Lake Cumberland, but the houses are right there on the water, and unlike Lake Norris, there's only like a 14ft change in elevation from the house to the water, so you don't have to walk down like 80 steps.

Here's the view of the house from the edge of the dock.

image.png.9547eb356275cc18b28b5400413b60af.png

I like the sound of this; just wish it was closer. My wife and I have been wanting to buy a lake house for our family but we just cant find the right spot. We want something on the water (or at least close). I hate that there is nothing on the water in Cumberland because of the rules set by the Army Corp of Engineers. We like Norris too but don't like the 4-4.5 hour drive.