Larry Miller, coach at Simon Kenton then Meade County....

Randomly, I saw a picture the other day of Larry Miller, who was coaching at Meade County in the mid-1980s when I was playing in the 5th region.  I had forgotten that he coached previously at Simon Kenton, and I'm pretty sure he was the coach in '81 that won the state title with McKinley and that group.  It didn't seem odd at the time that a coach would win a state title and then leave a couple of years later for another school which has had as far as I know relatively modest success in basketball.  Anyone know how that came to be - why he might have left Simon Kenton so soon after winning it's only state title?  I think that was the first northern Kentucky school to win the state.  You'd think he'd be set for life, or at least for a long time.  heh.  Interestingly, SK left the 9th region for the 8th at some point, just as Meade Co. eventually left the 5th region for the 3rd.  I think one of Coach Miller's kids ended up being a pretty good player, and played at Marquette if I have the story right.  Anyway, as I said, just random ruminations.......

• Like 1