Colonels_Wear_Blue

No Catholic/Christian schools made the 2021 Kentucky Sweet 16®

3 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Is it possible that some of that perception caries over from football?  Or is that also unwarranted?

Two shades of green in many sports definitely color the picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I don’t see CAL, DeSales, Beth Haven, Portland Christian, Presentation or KCD from the Louisville area on your list.  KCD doesn’t have any religious based curriculum.  Let’s be honest though, when we think private and/or Catholic schools, it’s really just 6 or so schools most people think about.

Which 6?

17 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Which 6?

I said 6 or so, but to name a few that come to mind, Covington Catholic, Trinity, St. X, Lexington Catholic, LCA & CAL.  You have a few of the others on the fringe like Owensboro Catholic, DeSales, St. Henry in basketball, but that's about it really.  If you really want to narrow it down, you could probably just stick to Covington Catholic, St. X, Trinity & Lexington Catholic.  90-95% of the high school sports fans in this state, when you say private/catholic schools, one of those is the 1st that comes to mind, it just depends on what part of the state you live in.  Maybe in the western part of the state it would be Owensboro Catholic & there might be a few that would say Newport Central Catholic in NKY, but when we're talking about this particular topic, I don't know anyone that would say a school like Beth Haven as their first guess.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mojocat said:

What does “independent” mean in this context?

All independent means is that these schools are independent of the county district.  For example in Campbell County -  Fort Thomas, Newport, Dayton, Bellevue & Southgate are all independent districts.  They are public schools and follow every public school guideline.  In most cases they have less resources because they are small.  They have no athletic advantage other than the ones they can create for themselves by building their programs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ope....haaaaaaang on. Is UHA a private school? I'm honestly not sure.

If it's private, that means there are no *Catholic* schools participating this year.

It's private.

52 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

All independent means is that these schools are independent of the county district.  For example in Campbell County -  Fort Thomas, Newport, Dayton, Bellevue & Southgate are all independent districts.  They are public schools and follow every public school guideline.  In most cases they have less resources because they are small.  They have no athletic advantage other than the ones they can create for themselves by building their programs.

Thanks.  I’m not sure I see the point - as you say, “in most cases they have less resources...”. Seems a little like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

6 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Thanks.  I’m not sure I see the point - as you say, “in most cases they have less resources...”. Seems a little like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I am not advocating for Independent school districts just stating facts.  Its a trade off.  You can control your education in your community, kids don't ride busses for an hour to and from school to get to a county school, but the don't have access to all the programs (again in most cases) that the county district has.  Pretty straight forward.  Plus lets face it close the independent districts around the state which is something that has come up from time to time over the years, and you have a whole lot of students who the various county districts have to take in.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cincyswords said:

My understanding is that most of the independent school districts are open enrollment. That is an advantage over county school districts that are closed due to their own policy or de facto closed due to geography. Since none of the independent schools  are in the largest classification, with the non-district students available to them they often punch above their weight athletically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonel-fan said:

My understanding is that most of the independent school districts are open enrollment. That is an advantage over county school districts that are closed due to their own policy or de facto closed due to geography. Since none of the independent schools  are in the largest classification, with the non-district students available to them they often punch above their weight athletically. 

Open enrollment?  If you are saying they will take a student who is out of district as long as they pay the ADA rate ($,4,750) then yes I suppose they are "open" in some independent districts but that also applies to County districts as well.  Independents function no differently than county districts and that is a district by district choice.  

Fort Thomas School District is very large for an independent district as is Covington.

The athletic comment based on non district students is just silly.  They have no ability to do anything different than a county school.  The restrictions a district places upon itself, whether it is independent or county, is their own choice.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cincyswords said:

Open enrollment?  If you are saying they will take a student who is out of district as long as they pay the ADA rate ($,4,750) then yes I suppose they are "open" in some independent districts but that also applies to County districts as well.  Independents function no differently than county districts and that is a district by district choice.  

Fort Thomas School District is very large for an independent district as is Covington.

The athletic comment based on non district students is just silly.  They have no ability to do anything different than a county school.  The restrictions a district places upon itself, whether it is independent or county, is their own choice.  

As I said, geographic limitations make most of the county districts, in effect, closed. To suggest non-district students don't elevate sports programs at independent schools is an odd take. No one is blaming independent schools for taking ADA students and it's a compliment to them that families want to be there. To say many of those ADA kids don't help the sports programs is, at best, a stretch.

27 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

As I said, geographic limitations make most of the county districts, in effect, closed. To suggest non-district students don't elevate sports programs at independent schools is an odd take. No one is blaming independent schools for taking ADA students and it's a compliment to them that families want to be there. To say many of those ADA kids don't help the sports programs is, at best, a stretch.

So the target switches from private schools to independent schools.  😉

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

So the target switches from private schools to independent schools.  😉

No targets either way. But the same factors that benefit private schools are also at play at many of the independent schools.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

No targets either way. But the same factors that benefit private schools are also at play at many of the independent schools.

Bingo bango bongo!

In Jefferson County, Collegiate, Kentucky Country Day, St. Francis and Walden are private schools without a religious affiliation.  

2 minutes ago, Smallhoops said:

In Jefferson County, Collegiate, Kentucky Country Day, St. Francis and Walden are private schools without a religious affiliation.  

Saint Francis I am pretty sure is religiously affiliated.  In fact 100% sure.

• Haha 1