Colonels_Wear_Blue

No Catholic/Christian schools made the 2021 Kentucky Sweet 16®

2 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Saint Francis I am pretty sure is religiously affiliated.  In fact 100% sure.

A quick look at their website doesn't reveal an obvious religious affiliation. They aren't listed as a school in the Louisville Archdiocese.

The te

12 hours ago, cincyswords said:

All independent means is that these schools are independent of the county district.  For example in Campbell County -  Fort Thomas, Newport, Dayton, Bellevue & Southgate are all independent districts.  They are public schools and follow every public school guideline.  In most cases they have less resources because they are small.  They have no athletic advantage other than the ones they can create for themselves by building their programs.

Right.  Other examples of "independent" schools include Owensboro, Bowling Green, and Ashland.  They mostly (perhaps exclusively) are long-existing city schools that remained independent when county school boards were created.  

Just now, gchs_uk9 said:

A quick look at their website doesn't reveal an obvious religious affiliation. They aren't listed as a school in the Louisville Archdiocese.

St. Francis was affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Kentucky when it was founded but it no longer has any affiliation with the Church.  I have a long relationship with St. Francis, so I can tell you from my personal experience and knowledge that it has no religious affiliation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Smallhoops said:

In Jefferson County, Collegiate, Kentucky Country Day, St. Francis and Walden are private schools without a religious affiliation.  

12 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Saint Francis I am pretty sure is religiously affiliated.  In fact 100% sure.

9 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

St. Francis was originally founded in affiliation with St. Francis In The Fields Episcopal Church.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

No targets either way. But the same factors that benefit private schools are also at play at many of the independent schools.

Now that is a stretch.  In no way shape or form do independent schools have the same benefits as a private school.  I have been involved with both very extensively.  As far as an athletic advantage well lets ask Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, Covington, Newport etc about all those "out of district" students coming in helping the athletic programs vs St. Henry, NCC, Holy Cross, etc.  I will tell you bluntly that first of all there are very few out of district students coming to these schools.  Secondly think about this.....if you have to pay well over $4,000 to attend one of these independent schools why not go private?

Third, Fort Thomas is the exception to the rule but again there current out of district numbers are not anywhere near what you might think.

Fourth, some independent schools as any county school can, can choose not to charge the fee.  The issue with that is you are adding students but adding no money and if you got this huge swell of students coming in then all of a sudden you have to pay for another teacher and no additional state income coming in due to the loss of those funds.  So (sarcasm) independent schools are really adding a bunch of kids and no SEEK funds...

Fifth, there are numerous students who choose to go to county schools around the state who live in independent districts.

Sixth, there are county school districts and independent districts that have  agreements that they take an equal number of students from each other so no money has to be exchanged.

So as not to offend anyone lets say __________County and __________Independent school districts agree to a 20 student 1 to 1 contract.  That means 20 students from the county can go to the independent district and 20 students from the independent district can attend the county school.    Trust me the student flow goes both ways!!!!  

They are non denominational but religious is my understanding....but I could be misinformed.

4 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

My understanding is that most of the independent school districts are open enrollment. That is an advantage over county school districts that are closed due to their own policy or de facto closed due to geography. Since none of the independent schools  are in the largest classification, with the non-district students available to them they often punch above their weight athletically. 

And your understanding is incorrect.  Most Independent Districts are NOT open enrollment and follow pretty much the same rules as the county districts.  I'm not saying all, and I'm not saying none.  But most independents are much smaller and draw from a much smaller community base so I'm not exactly sure where you get the idea that there is an advantage athletically.

• Like 2

It is important to remember here that the KHSAA rules/regulations are the same for all schools in Kentucky and any actual differences are a result of self-imposed local rules/regulations.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bulldog77 said:

And your understanding is incorrect.  Most Independent Districts are NOT open enrollment and follow pretty much the same rules as the county districts.  I'm not saying all, and I'm not saying none.  But most independents are much smaller and draw from a much smaller community base so I'm not exactly sure where you get the idea that there is an advantage athletically.

You could be right on most. But there are a few independent schools in NKY who do quite well with out of district students competing on their athletic teams. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

You could be right on most. But there are a few independent schools in NKY who do quite well with out of district students competing on their athletic teams. 

I would love to know who your few are.  And again I stated Fort Thomas is the exception and they don't have that many out of district kids.

16 hours ago, cincyswords said:

I would love to know who your few are.  And again I stated Fort Thomas is the exception and they don't have that many out of district kids.

In terms of athletics on the whole (not just hoops) Beechwood, Highlands, and Walton-Verona.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

In terms of athletics on the whole (not just hoops) Beechwood, Highlands, and Walton-Verona.

I am not sure you have data on Walton correct on out of district students.  Do you truly know how many have?  My guess is there are more Ohio addresses at Covcath than out of district at Walton.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

I am not sure you have data on Walton correct on out of district students.  Do you truly know how many have?  My guess is there are more Ohio addresses at Covcath than out of district at Walton.

Do me a favor and explain what makes the addresses of Cov Cath students relevant in a post/discussion about out of district students helping athletic programs at independent public schools in northern Kentucky...

KindlyCandidFattaileddunnart-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, theguru said:

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

My apologies.