Grant County - South Oldham updates

That was a good, entertaining game.  Pretty much a back and forth affair thru most of the first half.  As the half wound down, Grant was up by 3, scored a basket, then got a turnover and hit a 3 at the buzzer to go up 8.  Big lift going into the half.  Then Grant scores the first 4 in the 3rd and suddenly it’s a 12 point game. And for the 3rd and into the 4th the deficit stayed 8-12.  South went on a bit of a run to get close, and finally tied it on a 3 to make it 75 all.   That was around the 2 minute mark. Grant elected to hold the ball, only to turn it over (seemingly never fails - high school kids just can’t be expected to run the clock for an extended time, just doesn’t work).  Cole Davis for South was fouled and hit two free throws, and somehow with seconds to go South Oldham is leading in a game when it’s been behind all night.  I think everyone in the gym knew who would get the ball for Grant County, and Dylan Hammonds delivered, scoring close to the basket to send it to OT.  South seemed to run out of gas a little in the 3xtra session, and was outscored 9-3.

Hammonds scored 36 for the Braves.  Not a huge kid, but is very effective (and crafty) around the basket.  He was also 13-14 from the line.  Grant only goes about 7 deep, so Guffey’s absence down the stretch no doubt hurt.  But I’m thinking he only scored 4, quite a bit under his average.

For South, Davis had 27 and Cayden Brown 22.  Ben Michel only played the first couple of minutes of the second half.  I heard someone say, he’s got blood on him, and looked up expecting to see a little blood on his jersey.  He had suffered quite a gash on his scalp - suffice to say it was more than just a speck of blood.  He did not return.

• Like 1

• mcpapa locked this topic