Predictions for next years Cov Cath team? Next man up.

Sportsguy10

18 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I would love to agree, but we were awful at some spots last year. Unless you were behind Dickhaus, if you couldn’t get on the field last year, that’s a bad sign. IMO Wilson is the only guy that moves the needle in the senior class (I think there are 3 needle movers in the junior class).  Maybe Sullivan gets there, but he needs to get way more athletic this off-season. The lineman are solid, but no one else really stands out on the perimeter. 

For example, Geisler was the best running back when he played against LC. It’s no coincidence he’s doing kickoff return as a freshman, he’s going to be the lead back next year. 

I see Sullivan or Jones going to DT. We need more speed at LB positions. 

41 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

In my humble opinion this is where Eddie takes CCH to another level. This years Freshman class was 7-1 (1-1 vs Highlands). This class had a pretty special run in CYF. One thing that is hard to teach is speed and their is a lot of it. I think the freshman coach's did a good job but Eddie/Brown and all the Varsity coach's will add the technical part that is needed.

Their are some hidden gems that did not have an opportunity to shine. Example: Lot's of talk about Brock at kicker BUT there's another kid by the name of Coby Klumb who can kick and very fast (His Dad was VERY good at Elder).

Again, just cant wait to see the "progression"!  

I'm with you and he agrees.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Max Lawrie is a sophomore and will definitely be back leading the defensive frontline.

On the O-Line, David Sullivan will be back at TE, Sam Epplen will be back at left tackle, Peyton Dietz back at center, and Thomas Schramm back at right guard. Sullivan, Epplen, and Dietz are all juniors this year, and Schramm is a sophomore.

Lawrie played fantastic, and IMO will be better than his older bro who dominated at times last year.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I would love to agree, but we were awful at some spots last year. Unless you were behind Dickhaus, if you couldn’t get on the field last year, that’s a bad sign. IMO Wilson is the only guy that moves the needle in the senior class (I think there are 3 needle movers in the junior class).  Maybe Sullivan gets there, but he needs to get way more athletic this off-season. The lineman are solid, but no one else really stands out on the perimeter. 

For example, Geisler was the best running back when he played against LC. It’s no coincidence he’s doing kickoff return as a freshman, he’s going to be the lead back next year. 

Geisler is good, don't get me wrong.  Nally was likely the best RB this season, he was battling a concussion at one point and then a groin or hammy injury the second half of the year so they greatly limited him, especially on O and had him play mostly LB. 

Jones stood out to me at LB and will likely continue to progress moving forward. Sullivan is really good covering a couple gaps, but can struggle when asked to sprint to the sideline to cut off a rb. 

Lot's of injuries as well. 3 of the 4 DB's that started on Friday night were not the starters at the beginning of the year due to injury. I believe the safety, #26, was the 3rd man up, and filled in decently well. Two of those injured DB's also were starting WR's at the beginning of the year. 

This may be for a different discussion, but the defensive strategy was not great for the group of players on the field. They run the same 3-3 stack every year, which is specifically designed for the D line to eat up blocks so the LB's can run free and make plays. However, we didn't have MM and Felix back there this year, and our D Line was by far the strength but were more limited due to the scheme. 

Coaches like to have their defensive scheme, but the kids on the field don't always fit it perfectly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Geisler is good, don't get me wrong.  Nally was likely the best RB this season, he was battling a concussion at one point and then a groin or hammy injury the second half of the year so they greatly limited him, especially on O and had him play mostly LB. 

Jones stood out to me at LB and will likely continue to progress moving forward. Sullivan is really good covering a couple gaps, but can struggle when asked to sprint to the sideline to cut off a rb. 

Lot's of injuries as well. 3 of the 4 DB's that started on Friday night were not the starters at the beginning of the year due to injury. I believe the safety, #26, was the 3rd man up, and filled in decently well. Two of those injured DB's also were starting WR's at the beginning of the year. 

This may be for a different discussion, but the defensive strategy was not great for the group of players on the field. They run the same 3-3 stack every year, which is specifically designed for the D line to eat up blocks so the LB's can run free and make plays. However, we didn't have MM and Felix back there this year, and our D Line was by far the strength but were more limited due to the scheme. 

Coaches like to have their defensive scheme, but the kids on the field don't always fit it perfectly. 

Nally not being 100% hurt . He was by far the best RB and OLB. The kid was fun to watch when healthy 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

I thought Nally was ok. Felix was better and I bet we’re better at RB next year with Geisler and Collins a year older plus Leen. 

On the DB’s, Zion was our best player back there as a sophomore. A full year of him playing makes a big difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

I thought Nally was ok. Felix was better and I bet we’re better at RB next year with Geisler and Collins a year older plus Leen. 

On the DB’s, Zion was our best player back there as a sophomore. A full year of him playing makes a big difference. 

Zion will be a beast for sure. Sanfoss really stepped up at corner this year and should be even better next year. 

Jones was plenty fast at LB, made a lot of plays all over the field  plus he’s big enough to hold up against runs up the middle. 

I believe Dickhaus and Wilson could have made even more impact if we played a 4-3. Plus you wouldn’t depend on two MLB to cover all the way to the sideline at times. In our current scheme the D lineman never truly pass rush. When QB pressure does happen it’s typically because the QB holds the ball to long or a coverage is solid, as their first goal is to occupy the o line. They rarely ever just line up outside the tackle and rush the QB. 

2 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

Zion will be a beast for sure. Sanfoss really stepped up at corner this year and should be even better next year. 

Jones was plenty fast at LB, made a lot of plays all over the field  plus he’s big enough to hold up against runs up the middle. 

I believe Dickhaus and Wilson could have made even more impact if we played a 4-3. Plus you wouldn’t depend on two MLB to cover all the way to the sideline at times. In our current scheme the D lineman never truly pass rush. When QB pressure does happen it’s typically because the QB holds the ball to long or a coverage is solid, as their first goal is to occupy the o line. They rarely ever just line up outside the tackle and rush the QB. 

Bowling Green only drove for 1 TD. They will be fine.

While in my humble opinion this thread is completely premature, I’ll chime in. Bottom line, CCH will be just fine Blue Bloods. Calm down. Recognize that the Mayer family put the program on tilt last few years and while back to reality now, you still have one of KYs best programs. Young names to watch for me are Leen and Pitzer. As far as the older/returning kids, Sullivan will be key to lead. Also gotta give Hummel the reps he deserves. Kid is best pound for pound player in NKY his entire life IMO. 

I’m not trying to pick any fights with the CCH faithful on this thread - heaven knows I did enough of that with an opposing fan over the weekend - but...

I’ll be honest, seems a little “off” making comments about who was better than who (and no, I’m not referring to the comment about Max Lawrie having a chance to be better than his brother), referring to being “awful” in certain spots last year and discussing “upgrades”.  It doesn’t take a genius to know what is being said.  I’m not saying anyone is wrong, but, I think there’s a better way to handle it.  Focus on the year ahead and what the returning kids can do, without treading on kids that are gone.  This isn’t a college or pro, program.

The kids that played and didn’t measure up, know they didn’t measure up.  They’re not stupid.  Some less visible players grinded through injuries all year long, but just the same, showed up and did everything they could, without saying a word.  Some kids lost jobs and at least one or two multi sport athletes will likely miss their second sport, as a result of injuries.  Trust me, they and their families paid enough of a price.  But, it’s a price they all willingly paid to be a part of this amazing football program.  

Not a great feeling to see your son not measure up on the field.  As a parent, you feel like there’s a 1,000 pairs of eyes glaring at you when your son makes a costly mistake.  It’s hard to see it re-hashed here.  Yes, it’s subtle, but it doesn’t take much to read between the lines.

Turning the page, I am really excited about the future.  There are some great players returning and it sounds like the Sophs to be are very talented.  If any of you posting on this thread has a son in the program, I sincerely wish him and you all the best, moving forward.  This is a special program.

Go Colonels!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, BlueKernels said:

The D was not fine at Lex Cath. 

Anyway,  just not a fan in general of always keeping the same scheme even when the players may fit something else better in a given year. 

Huh? Where did I say that? I was there and they half the JV team playing defense.