Sportsguy10

Predictions for next years Cov Cath team? Next man up.

5 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Inside info; the Willie R kid will be special. Kid is strong and athletic. I didn’t see a freshman in KY better then him. 

Pitzer and Rodriguez are two names you want to remember 

Don’t doubt it one bit. But... lots of kids are great as freshman and don’t continue to progress. I’ve heard great things about both, but they both looked really skinny. It’s a big jump from being a great freshman player to starting Varsity as a sophomore at CCH. Just saying I’m hoping the coaches help them to put on some weight and strength in the off-season so they’ll be in a position to contribute. 

I’m hoping for big things from both!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Don’t doubt it one bit. But... lots of kids are great as freshman and don’t continue to progress. I’ve heard great things about both, but they both looked really skinny. It’s a big jump from being a great freshman player to starting Varsity as a sophomore at CCH. Just saying I’m hoping the coaches help them to put on some weight and strength in the off-season so they’ll be in a position to contribute. 

I’m hoping for big things from both!

Agreed! The Eddie & Brown factor ! Lol 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Inside info; the Willie R kid will be special. Kid is strong and athletic. I didn’t see a freshman in KY better then him. 

Pitzer and Rodriguez are two names you want to remember 

Those are the 2 young guys to watch. Charlie Dieruf is with them too from what I hear from smart people. 

• Like 3

Put some giant chips on these kids’ shoulders.  There’s a bullseye on their chest.  Own it and thrive on it.  I’ll be pulling for them.   Really excited about the future in Park Hills.

Go Colonels!

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Sportsguy10 said:

What do we think about next years CCH football team? 

Def

d-line

Trevor Wilson (JR)

ILB

David Sullivan (JR)

Aiden Jones (SO)

Owen Leen (FR)

OLB

Adam Holtz (JR)

Collin Gastright (JR)

Willie R (FR)

CB

Zion Mason (SO)

Rob Sandfoss (JR)

off

Garrett Benke (SO)

Zion Mason (SO)

Brayden Collins (JR)

Cam Giesler (FR)

Owen Leen (FR)

Willie R (FR)

Reid Hummel (JR)

QB

Evan Pitzer (FR)

Adam Holtz (JR)

** I’m sure I have some mistakes or forgotten some??

Max Lawrie is a sophomore and will definitely be back leading the defensive frontline.

On the O-Line, David Sullivan will be back at TE, Sam Epplen will be back at left tackle, Peyton Dietz back at center, and Thomas Schramm back at right guard. Sullivan, Epplen, and Dietz are all juniors this year, and Schramm is a sophomore.

23 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Why not Elder. We’ve played St. X, LaSalle, and Moeller plenty of times in past.  I feel we never play Elder. 

We've played Elder five times:

2003: Elder 49 Cov Cath 21
2004: Elder 10 Cov Cath 9
2006: Elder 13 Cov Cath 3
2007: Elder 35 Cov Cath 6
2008: Elder 56 Cov Cath 7

18 hours ago, CCHFC said:

Those are the 2 young guys to watch. Charlie Dieruf is with them too from what I hear from smart people. 

Charlie Dieruf and Willie Rodriguez were two really nice athletes on the freshman team. The kind you put anywhere on your roster and they're going to thrive. Watching Rodriguez play freshman ball this past season was reminiscent of watching Sam Dressman play, for those who have followed Cov Cath closely for the last decade or so.

Dieruf, I'm told, came in as a baseball player first, and a football player second. He would absolutely be an asset to the football team next year, but I have to wonder after injuring his elbow this past football season, if he isn't considering dropping football and sticking with baseball. No inside information there or anything - just curious on my part.

Freshman kicker Alex Brock will be the varsity kicker next year, no doubt. And I would assume Jackson Gronotte will be the long-snapper. Jackson is Trey's younger brother. Started practicing long-snapping with his dad and brother three years ago when Trey started kicking...he's good at it, haha. Casey Bir was another really nice contributor on the freshman team. I believe he was a fullback and inside linebacker. Ran the ball hard, and hit hard. I'll be interested to see where they use him next year.

I've got the feeling that Eddie will end up using Evan Pitzer as his starting QB next year instead of Adam Holtz. Holtz is a good athlete and does well on defense, and he's probably a stronger running QB at this point, but Evan has a height advantage over Adam, and Evan's arm was very strong as a freshman.

Carter Newborn, Ben Reeves, Luke Rabe, Braylon Miller, and Kai Knasel were all some names we heard several times over during freshman games this last year too.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Max Lawrie is a sophomore and will definitely be back leading the defensive frontline.

On the O-Line, David Sullivan will be back at TE, Sam Epplen will be back at left tackle, Peyton Dietz back at center, and Thomas Schramm back at right guard. Sullivan, Epplen, and Dietz are all juniors this year, and Schramm is a sophomore.

A few other returning players who saw a decent bit of playing time this last year:

Dallas Wirth WR/DB
Dennis Lenihan WR/DB
Nick Darpel RB/LB
Blake Folke RB/LB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Charlie Dieruf and Willie Rodriguez were two really nice athletes on the freshman team. The kind you put anywhere on your roster and they're going to thrive. Watching Rodriguez play freshman ball this past season was reminiscent of watching Sam Dressman play, for those who have followed Cov Cath closely for the last decade or so.

Dieruf, I'm told, came in as a baseball player first, and a football player second. He would absolutely be an asset to the football team next year, but I have to wonder after injuring his elbow this past football season, if he isn't considering dropping football and sticking with baseball. No inside information there or anything - just curious on my part.

Freshman kicker Alex Brock will be the varsity kicker next year, no doubt. And I would assume Jackson Gronotte will be the long-snapper. Jackson is Trey's younger brother. Started practicing long-snapping with his dad and brother three years ago when Trey started kicking...he's good at it, haha. Casey Bir was another really nice contributor on the freshman team. I believe he was a fullback and inside linebacker. Ran the ball hard, and hit hard. I'll be interested to see where they use him next year.

I've got the feeling that Eddie will end up using Evan Pitzer as his starting QB next year instead of Adam Holtz. Holtz is a good athlete and does well on defense, and he's probably a stronger running QB at this point, but Evan has a height advantage over Adam, and Evan's arm was very strong as a freshman.

Carter Newborn, Ben Reeves, Luke Rabe, Braylon Miller, and Kai Knasel were all some names we heard several times over during freshman games this last year too.

Couple other thoughts on these guys. I really liked Max Lawrie when he got some time this year. Will be a nice player next to Wilson on the DL.

Casey Bir is a slot receiver and safety and think he’s going to contribute next year and maybe start at safety. 

I think Braylon Miller could start opposite Zion at corner next year with his length and movement skills. 

I think we’re going to be really young again next year but I’m not sure there’s going to be much of a drop off at some of these positions and in some cases, we’ll see an upgrade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CCHFC said:

Couple other thoughts on these guys. I really liked Max Lawrie when he got some time this year. Will be a nice player next to Wilson on the DL.

Casey Bir is a slot receiver and safety and think he’s going to contribute next year and maybe start at safety. 

I think Braylon Miller could start opposite Zion at corner next year with his length and movement skills. 

I think we’re going to be really young again next year but I’m not sure there’s going to be much of a drop off at some of these positions and in some cases, we’ll see an upgrade.

Haha, so I was close...Casey Bir plays football at least 😂 (Thought I remember seeing him in the offensive backfield.)

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Haha, so I was close...Casey Bir plays football at least 😂 (Thought I remember seeing him in the offensive backfield.)

😂 yeah they motion guys from the slot into the backfield and get carries. Schneider, Wirth and Zion did that this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCHFC said:

The group of Sr's to be were really strong through CYF and had an excellent freshman team as well. Will likely end up being several Sr's that are first year starters next year.  I don't expect to see a large number of soph's that start next year, most aren't physically ready for that anyway. This season we had only 1 sophomore, Jones at LB, who started at the beginning of the season, some other's played some valuable time due to injury, but that was about it. 

7 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

The group of Sr's to be were really strong through CYF and had an excellent freshman team as well. Will likely end up being several Sr's that are first year starters next year.  I don't expect to see a large number of soph's that start next year, most aren't physically ready for that anyway. This season we had only 1 sophomore, Jones at LB, who started at the beginning of the season, some other's played some valuable time due to injury, but that was about it. 

In my humble opinion this is where Eddie takes CCH to another level. This years Freshman class was 7-1 (1-1 vs Highlands). This class had a pretty special run in CYF. One thing that is hard to teach is speed and their is a lot of it. I think the freshman coach's did a good job but Eddie/Brown and all the Varsity coach's will add the technical part that is needed.

Their are some hidden gems that did not have an opportunity to shine. Example: Lot's of talk about Brock at kicker BUT there's another kid by the name of Coby Klumb who can kick and very fast (His Dad was VERY good at Elder).

Again, just cant wait to see the "progression"!  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Thomas Schramm is a sophomore, and started all season at guard on the offense. The KHSAA's cumulative stats pages are quirky when it comes to imputing all of the data, so he isn't showing up there as having played any games for some reason, but I believe Jones and Schramm are the only two starting sophomores we had at the beginning of the season.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

I would love to agree, but we were awful at some spots last year. Unless you were behind Dickhaus, if you couldn’t get on the field last year, that’s a bad sign. IMO Wilson is the only guy that moves the needle in the senior class (I think there are 3 needle movers in the junior class).  Maybe Sullivan gets there, but he needs to get way more athletic this off-season. The lineman are solid, but no one else really stands out on the perimeter. 

For example, Geisler was the best running back when he played against LC. It’s no coincidence he’s doing kickoff return as a freshman, he’s going to be the lead back next year. 

• Like 1