Pikeville vs. Sayre Predictions/Updates (1A Playoffs)

Bac2369

Who wins this matchup?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Pikeville
    • Sayre

This poll is closed to new votes

Pikeville sits at 5-2 on the season. They will welcome in 8-0 Sayre who agreed to be the 4th seed in the district since Jenkins dropped out of district play. Pikeville is the prohibited favorite to win this class again. They have played a tough schedule to prepare them for a long playoff run. Sayre hasn’t played quite the schedule Pikeville has, but you don’t go undefeated if your not at least half way decent. So who wins this matchup? Does Pikeville flex its muscle? Does Sayre shock the world?

• Thanks 1

I think a win for Sayre is avoiding a running clock. I like what they are doing at Sayre, and they should probably be the 3rd seed (it would be interesting to see where they are vis-a-vis Hazard), but expecting a win at Pikeville is likely unrealistic.

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

To be fair, considering Sayre beat the brakes off of Phelps not sure how they didn't have a claim to be the 3-seed.

They made the agreement almost a year ago with the KHSAA to replace Jenkins and automatically take the 4th spot. I'm guessing, had they known the toll Covid would take on football this fall, they probably would have asked to let the RPI seed!

On 11/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, ATLCat said:

To be fair, considering Sayre beat the brakes off of Phelps not sure how they didn't have a claim to be the 3-seed.

Just for fun, I checked Calpreps for a Hazard/Sayre prediction, which would have been the first round matchup had Sayre been an official district member (as they will be next year). Calpreps had Sayre winning, 22-21.

Pikeville wins comfortably but Sayre is a solid team. I'm very anxious to see where Sayre is in relation to this entire district next season when they play the full schedule.