Dak

mcpapa

Much as I loathe the Cowboys, Dak has deserved better.  Couldn’t get the multi-year contract he deserved even though he did right by the team at every turn.  The ankle injury today was gruesome.   Here’s hoping everything works out for him.  

9 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Today is a perfect example of why you hold out. Hope it works out for Dak.

9 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Much as I loathe the Cowboys, Dak has deserved better.  Couldn’t get the multi-year contract he deserved even though he did right by the team at every turn.  The ankle injury today was gruesome.   Here’s hoping everything works out for him.  

You could not help but think about the Dak contract situation when he went down yesterday. A quick recap on it all, Dak has played under the rookie contract scale his first four seasons, earning a little over $4MM. He got to watch Jerry give big contracts to Zeke, Amari Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Zach Martin, and Demarcus Lawrence while he patiently awaited his turn. Dak (reportedly) wanted to reset the QB market, Dallas never fully believed in Dak, so a deal was never reached. He was playing under the 1-year franchise tag tender of $31MM. Really good money, but $110MM+, which is probably what he was seeking in guaranteed dollars, is a far cry from that.

Who knows what his future holds. I still like Dallas to win the division by default.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

You could not help but think about the Dak contract situation when he went down yesterday. A quick recap on it all, Dak has played under the rookie contract scale his first four seasons, earning a little over $4MM. He got to watch Jerry give big contracts to Zeke, Amari Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Zach Martin, and Demarcus Lawrence while he patiently awaited his turn. Dak (reportedly) wanted to reset the QB market, Dallas never fully believed in Dak, so a deal was never reached. He was playing under the 1-year franchise tag tender of $31MM. Really good money, but $110MM+, which is probably what he was seeking in guaranteed dollars, is a far cry from that.

Who knows what his future holds. I still like Dallas to win the division by default.

10 hours ago, mcpapa said:

10 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Today is a perfect example of why you hold out. Hope it works out for Dak.

It definitely sucks for Dak. However, people are acting like the Cowboys were completely low balling him and not offering him big money. The last contract they offered him had an average salary of 33 million per year, with 105 million guaranteed. Which at the time would have put him in the top 5 in the NFL for quarterbacks. 

However, Dak was wanting to set the market at the time for QBs. Which Dak is very good, but is he worth a set the market type of contract, probably not. The contract he was offered was a top 5 contract though, which is about right. 

So it is not just the Cowboys fault in this situation. Dak and his agent gambled by not taking that huge top 5 deal he was offered, and they were willing to play the franchise tag game that ended up working so well for Kirk Cousins. 

30 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

It definitely sucks for Dak. However, people are acting like the Cowboys were completely low balling him and not offering him big money. The last contract they offered him had an average salary of 33 million per year, with 105 million guaranteed. Which at the time would have put him in the top 5 in the NFL for quarterbacks. 

However, Dak was wanting to set the market at the time for QBs. Which Dak is very good, but is he worth a set the market type of contract, probably not. The contract he was offered was a top 5 contract though, which is about right. 

So it is not just the Cowboys fault in this situation. Dak and his agent gambled by not taking that huge top 5 deal he was offered, and they were willing to play the franchise tag game that ended up working so well for Kirk Cousins. 

I don't believe the Cowboys were low-balling him, though Dak saw it that way. And on balance, Dak had WAAAAAAAAYYYYY out performed his rookie deal being a 4th rounder, so he felt he was owed a little bit for that. Plus he is comparing himself to Goff and Wentz, not exactly world beating QBs. He decided to bet on himself, and this occurred. Unfortunate all the way around.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I don't believe the Cowboys were low-balling him, though Dak saw it that way. And on balance, Dak had WAAAAAAAAYYYYY out performed his rookie deal being a 4th rounder, so he felt he was owed a little bit for that. Plus he is comparing himself to Goff and Wentz, not exactly world beating QBs. He decided to bet on himself, and this occurred. Unfortunate all the way around.

I know I quoted like three people. So I was kind of responding to everyone lol. Someone said he couldn’t get the contract he deserved. Basically stating like the Cowboys were low balling him. Which wasn’t the case at all. He was offered a top 5 QB type contract. The contract honesty was very fair. Just he and his agent, like we have seen with other guys decided to gamble and wanted more. Definitely just an unfortunate situation all the way around. 

It honestly now really sucks for him, because I fully expect Dalton to play really well and get them to the playoffs. Which probably would make them more willing to pay Dalton, since he would probably not ask for as much. 

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is the Dak situation a good example of why you hold out, or a good example of why you should not hold out and take the huge contract that is offered?

Not sure that I am qualified to answer that question.  Personally, I need just one Bentley for myself.  I would probably just take the contract in front of me.

18 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is the Dak situation a good example of why you hold out, or a good example of why you should not hold out and take the huge contract that is offered?

I don't fault Dak at all for trying to make up for his Rookie contract with this one. He's the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. If Jerry wants to throw dollars around everywhere else, he damn sure should throw some to Dak. 

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I don't fault Dak at all for trying to make up for his Rookie contract with this one. He's the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. If Jerry wants to throw dollars around everywhere else, he damn sure should throw some to Dak. 

It never works that way in any sport. Players don't get to make up for a lower previous contract. Contracts are based on today, how much the owner wants you for the next few years and the current market.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

It never works that way in any sport. Players don't get to make up for a lower previous contract. Contracts are based on today, how much the owner wants you for the next few years and the current market.

Sure it does. It works for some athletes, just not all of them.