Is Bowling Green the clear #1 in class 5A?

BillNye

No. Definitely a big win for Bowling Green but they are not the clear number one off of one win, regardless of how good they looked.

After last night put CovCath, Douglass and BG in a hat and draw names. I lean towards CovCath staying number one for now as defending champion and a 28-0 winner over BG last year in the state semifinals.

Clear, no.  But they had the best showing last night and had the best win in a dominating defensive fashion.  The 4 semi finalists from last year are the top 4.  If I were saying the favorite to win it would still be Douglas with the other 3 right in tow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

I think based on the pre-season rankings and the results of Friday night, it crystal clear BG is the #1 team in 5A.

Could change going forward for sure, but based on those two things.  No doubt.

This is also where I am at. Plenty of season left, but outside of Owensboro, the other two left a little more to be desired for me personally. 

I also hate the whole "well they lost to (insert whoever here) last year so by default they should be behind them". Not saying it's wrong to have that opinion, but I just respectfully disagree.

43 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

I think based on the pre-season rankings and the results of Friday night, it crystal clear BG is the #1 team in 5A.

Could change going forward for sure, but based on those two things.  No doubt.

37 minutes ago, BillNye said:

This is also where I am at. Plenty of season left, but outside of Owensboro, the other two left a little more to be desired for me personally. 

I also hate the whole "well they lost to (insert whoever here) last year so by default they should be behind them". Not saying it's wrong to have that opinion, but I just respectfully disagree.

Doesn't this all assume St. Xavier isn't down this year?

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

Doesn't this all assume St. Xavier isn't down this year?

Sure it does. But a loss to Bowling Green won’t make me assume they are down. These two teams have played the last ten seasons just about and every year it’s a war. 

However, I’ll change when the facts change. Should Saint Xavier only win two or three games and get bounced early in the playoffs I may look back at my opinion and wonder what kind of koolaid I could have been sipping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillNye said:

That's not a just by default statement. That's based on years of history. Good programs tend to repeat performance. I would counter your statement by saying one game does not change years of performance.  One game is definitely an influence and can cause reconsideration but rarely do I think one game merits big adjustments in rankings.

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That's not a just by default statement. That's based on years of history. Good programs tend to repeat performance. I would counter your statement by saying one game does not change years of performance.  One game is definitely an influence and can cause reconsideration but rarely do I think one game merits big adjustments in rankings.

This is all true, but Michael Mayer and Vito Tisdale ain't walking through that door.

If they are fortunate to play in November/December, the kids on the field won't care one bit about this.

I don't care where you rank BG.  It's an opinion that can be followed with supporting information.  You can make a case for or against them.  BG made the biggest statement Week 1 and that's where I hang my hat.

I think last years 4 semi-finalists (plus South Warren could knock BG out also) are pretty far ahead of everyone else.  Even though I think FDoughlass has more D1 guys, they can have an off night.

1 minute ago, Purple88 said:

This is all true, but Michael Mayer and Vito Tisdale ain't walking through that door.

If they are fortunate to play in November/December, the kids on the field won't care one bit about this.

I don't care where you rank BG.  It's an opinion that can be followed with supporting information.  You can make a case for or against them.  BG made the biggest statement Week 1 and that's where I hang my hat.

I think last years 4 semi-finalists (plus South Warren could knock BG out also) are pretty far ahead of everyone else.  Even though I think FDoughlass has more D1 guys, they can have an off night.

I agree with all this. If rankings were based only on one game, then BG would be number 1. But they aren't based on one game. There are other factors to include. When all the factors are included, I lean towards Cov Cath at number one after week one.