Hardin County Preps

Fan Capacity at Fall Sports

I have yet to see or hear any district or school plans on fan capacity at fall sporting events. Is it too early to finalize these plans based on the unknowns of COVID-19 in September? What would make sense; family members only, 20%, 30%,40%,50%, 100% capacity? Requirements to purchase season passes to limit fan base and supplement that sports fundraising? What are some plans that you have heard of for fan capacity?

Looks like some colleges going with 20% so maybe do that to start and then add as season goes on if covid situation improves.

Parents probably would be a given, if an injury happens it is always good if the parents are there. I would think that student sections which typically can get rowdy and change the game atmosphere will not happen this year.

If you do a parents only kind of thing, you'd likely have to submit a list of names prior to the season for people to be let in games. 

I like the idea of only selling season tickets, too. 

• Like 1

As mentioned in another thread, schools and districts ought to at least consider streaming options just in case.  Those can be money makers too.

• Like 1

The only problem is if you make a announcement now and then things dramatically improve in the next six weeks then they might be throwing money away.

40 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

The only problem is if you make a announcement now and then things dramatically improve in the next six weeks then they might be throwing money away.

Why?  You can always add more capacity if things get better.  The problem would be if things get worse, and you had to reduce capacity further.  If things improve, you simply sell more tickets.

• Like 1

I

On 7/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, rjs4470 said:

Why?  You can always add more capacity if things get better.  The problem would be if things get worse, and you had to reduce capacity further.  If things improve, you simply sell more tickets.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, rjs4470 said:

It usually don’t work like that if you make an announcement of family only and then try to change it people won’t come like they normally would I see no benefit to announcing 6 weeks early how much seating is going to be available I would think two weeks before kickoff would be plenty of time.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Tkinslow said:

I am with you 100% on this. Wait as long as possible on making announcements and changes of any kind. Things change too quickly with this virus. Some things require too much advance planning to wait but not this. You can wait till a week or so before the first game to make ticket decisions.

Many places, 50 % capacity would cover pretty big crowds. I know at our place with the tailgate area, etc., we have a boatload of space. 

7 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Many places, 50 % capacity would cover pretty big crowds. I know at our place with the tailgate area, etc., we have a boatload of space. 

That brings up a bigger issue. What do you do about tailgating? Do schools shut down the tailgating?

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That brings up a bigger issue. What do you do about tailgating? Do schools shut down the tailgating?

The CDC definition for close contact is 6 feet for 15 minutes. Tailgating is voluntary. Would be tough to shut down, have someone buy a candy bar & coke at concession stand, etc. Hopefully we can tailgate. 

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Tailgating not allowed at St.X so most people do it off campus. If not allowed at other schools, some people may just do it somewhere else, if practical.

Most places are GA. Most games are not packed. How about wear a mask and use common sense....

Leave some space or stand near a fence and act like everyone has the flu...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fatsnbul said:

Most places are GA. Most games are not packed. How about wear a mask and use common sense....

Leave some space or stand near a fence and act like everyone has the flu...

Common sense is not very common.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1