BGP QOTD: NERF Football or Whiffle Ball?

Jumper_Dad

Which was your favorite?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite?

One summer we actually kept Whiffle Ball Stats and everyone had to wear those cheap plastic replica batting helmets. It was a glorious summer. Left field had the Red Monster, a neighbors out building that had to be cleared for a ball to be considered a homerun. Centerfield went uphill and had a Bradford pear tree half way between second base and the centerfield fence.

We would play 50 inning games of 2 on 2 whiffle ball, sometimes lasting for days.

• Like 1

Our NERF gridiron was 1/2 asphalt and 1/2 grass, as we played on a side street that had little traffic and no sidewalks. We had about 40 yards between driveways to fit in our field. Smashed flat Coke cans would mark the ball and the line to gain for a first downs.

I can drive down that street today and my knee just starts bleeding...:lol2:

Whiffle ball for me. But we substituted that skinny yellow bat for a big old fat one that we nicknamed Bam Bam. Hit the ball so hard with that, that we had to wrap the sweet spot with duct tape to keep the seam from splitting apart. You could hit some prodigious shots with that. But playing defense was almost as fun, trying to rob home runs before they cleared the pine tree "wall". Ahhh, good times.

One summer we actually kept Whiffle Ball Stats and everyone had to wear those cheap plastic replica batting helmets. It was a glorious summer. Left field had the Red Monster, a neighbors out building that had to be cleared for a ball to be considered a homerun. Centerfield went uphill and had a Bradford pear tree half way between second base and the centerfield fence.

We would play 50 inning games of 2 on 2 whiffle ball, sometimes lasting for days.

I didn't realize we were neighbors. I did the same thing

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Definitely whiffle ball for me. So many summers growing up were spent in the back yard with all the neighborhood kids playing for hours. We especially liked to play home run derby using one neighbor's fence and we would always try to "rob" the home run thinking we were Ken Griffey Jr. 

The spring and summer were for wiffle ball. Played in a friends back yard where his dad would cut the base paths. The hedges were the homerun wall. We also did the plastic helmets.

The fall was for football with the original Nerf turbo as you could launch that thing. We played in a friend’s front yard, or we would slide under the fence and play on Dixie’s practice field.

Whiffle ball. 

Growing up in Cincinnati Reds Big Red Machine country, we played whiffle ball EVERY day in the summer.  Left field was a short fence, but the two apple trees just on the other side of the fence kept a lot of balls in play.  In right field, the roof of my friend’s house was a home run, but it took a mega shot to get there.  Any breaks we took were filled with trading baseball cards. 

Great, great memories!

• Like 1