Tubbys 98 Championship Team?

ADopted ADmiral

Tubby has had his ups and downs, like all coaches, and 98 was no different. Florida and Louisville stand out in the regular season as losses. But who could forget how he masterfully brought the Cats on strong at the end and, dare I say, outcoached Coach K in the regional finals. All without Mercer, who still had elgibility but was now in the pros with Ricky.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby has had his ups and downs, like all coaches, and 98 was no different. Florida and Louisville stand out in the regular season as losses. But who could forget how he masterfully brought the Cats on strong at the end and, dare I say, outcoached Coach K in the regional finals. All without Mercer, who still had elgibility but was now in the pros with Ricky.

:thumb:

I dont buy that one bit...JMO though. Rick was a great coach, and I dont think he gave up that game. I think you might be underestimating that 'Zona team, and the importance of Derek Anderson

And I think your underestimating how good Derek Anderson was in college. Even without him we took Zona to overtime. With him there is a good chance we win, because not only was he able to score, but he arguably was the best defender on the team, and might have been able to slow down Simon who went off that game...

I dont buy that one bit...JMO though. Rick was a great coach, and I dont think he gave up that game. I think you might be underestimating that 'Zona team, and the importance of Derek Anderson

Showbiz makes a good point, that was a tough Arizona team, with a great coach. I don't think you can say that "Tubby won the championship in '98 when Pitino couldn't with his own players in '97" Those are two different years, there's no way you can compare the two. In my opinion the '97 Arizona team was a better team than the '98 Utah team. The only player I can remember from the Utah team off the top of my head is Keith Van Horn, and some big guy. On another note did anyone hear a rumor (or fact) that there was a wet spot on the floor from where the Thoroughblades played in Rupp, don't know if it's true just seems like that was something I heard around 8 or 9 years ago.

Its not like I didn't like pitino. I just got over him when he left.Alot of so called KY fans have never got over Pitino leaving! Most of the so called UK fans have nothing better to do but to put Tubby down!Im here to take up for Coach Smith! There are way to many UK Bandwagon Fans in this state! When the cats win they jump right on,when they lose they jump right off! Fans who can't get over Pitino should pull for Louisville all the way! Cause Ricky P is never comming back and Im glad!

Showbiz makes a good point, that was a tough Arizona team, with a great coach. I don't think you can say that "Tubby won the championship in '98 when Pitino couldn't with his own players in '97" Those are two different years, there's no way you can compare the two. In my opinion the '97 Arizona team was a better team than the '98 Utah team. The only player I can remember from the Utah team off the top of my head is Keith Van Horn, and some big guy. On another note did anyone hear a rumor (or fact) that there was a wet spot on the floor from where the Thoroughblades played in Rupp, don't know if it's true just seems like that was something I heard around 8 or 9 years ago.

The only reason I said that about Tubby winning in 97 is simply because I get so sick of hearing that the only reason Tubby won in 98 is because it was Ricks Players! Most of the people that say that just can't get over Ricky P!

"IF" Pitino would have played him in the tourney after he had medically cleared to play:rolleyes: then U.K. might have won the title that year. No one has mentioned this "IF".

On top of that, Pitino said that if he had played him and he got hurt again that his NBA stock would really drop. That's what really gets me to this day. Anderson was still in COLLEGE, not the NBA. Finish college and then worry about the money. I thing some of the posters here hit it on the head. Pitino already knew he was going after the money and figured Derek might as well too. Anderson was cleared and should have played more than just shoot free throws. Just my opinion.

Its not like I didn't like pitino. I just got over him when he left.Alot of so called KY fans have never got over Pitino leaving! Most of the so called UK fans have nothing better to do but to put Tubby down!Im here to take up for Coach Smith! There are way to many UK Bandwagon Fans in this state! When the cats win they jump right on,when they lose they jump right off! Fans who can't get over Pitino should pull for Louisville all the way! Cause Ricky P is never comming back and Im glad![/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say "never" he is Rick Pitino and is capable of doing things we would never dream he would do!!! I am a Tubby supporter myself, I just dont think how Pitino was to blame for the loss to Zona, there are many greater factors that led to that loss. It was a great time in UK basketball, 2 championships and 3 finals in 3 years! Lets hope we see half of that under Coach Smith!

It was against Canicious... Im not sure if thats how u spell it though. I wasnt there but I remember watching it like it was yesterday.

You must not remember too much about yesterday, because Anderson was hurt in the Auburn game.