Tubbys 98 Championship Team?

ADopted ADmiral

I hear alot of people who do not like Tubby as The UK Basketball coach claim that in 98 that Tubby won the championship with Pitinos Players! Which I guess he did,but in 97 Pitino couldn't win it with his own Players! It makes me think that if Pitino had quit after the 96 championship and Tubby could have coached Pitinos 97 Players,The cats may have won three in a Row!;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear alot of people who do not like Tubby as The UK Basketball coach claim that in 98 that Tubby won the championship with Pitinos Players! Which I guess he did,but in 97 Pitino couldn't win it with his own Players! It makes me think that if Pitino had quit after the 96 championship and Tubby could have coached Pitinos 97 Players,The cats may have won three in a Row!;)

If I think back, the 97 championship was almost a miracle. Cameron Mills of all people almost stepped in and carried us to the title. I think we might have lost Derek Anderson that season.

Tubby would have led us to the Sweet Sixteen that year.

If I think back, the 97 championship was almost a miracle. Cameron Mills of all people almost stepped in and carried us to the title. I think we might have lost Derek Anderson that season.

Tubby would have led us to the Sweet Sixteen that year.

If Derek Anderson would have not got hurt, UK would have won 3 in a row.

:lol: I will always be thankful and have fond memories of the "Pitino" teams and his years here but this is a very good/funny point. I also have heard "Tubby won it with Pitinos players" untill I was sick of hearing it but yet I still have no memory of Pitino being present on the bench during any of those U.K. games in 98'. I would say that he didn't take them through 1 practice, did not review any films with them, etc.,etc.:D Orlando "Tubby" Smith was the coach of that national championship team. Pitino as I recall was in Boston ruining the Celtics.:sssh:

I just get sick of people who bash Tubby, The man can't even get full credit from some of the fans for winning the National Title! So when ever I hear someone say that Tubby won his championship with Pitinos Players I have to come back and say that Pitino couldn't win it in 97 with his own players! Im behind Tubby and the Cats all the way!:ylsuper:

I was there too. I believe it was against Auburn. Really sad. I believe they would have won the championship wit Anderson that year.

I think it happened on a baseline move where he went in for a dunk over several people, if I'm not mistaken. He left the game and then actually came back in and played after the injury. I think it was against Auburn or maybe Georgia.

I just get sick of people who bash Tubby, The man can't even get full credit from some of the fans for winning the National Title! So when ever I hear someone say that Tubby won his championship with Pitinos Players I have to come back and say that Pitino couldn't win it in 97 with his own players! Im behind Tubby and the Cats all the way!:ylsuper:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Great post and comments AA, as I will be behind the Cats and the next coach when that happens. It is called being a U.K. Fan.:ylsuper: