Turf Fields In Jefferson County

Roundsteak

For turf fields, I’ve heard that Jefferson Co will be divided into 4 regions, with 1 school in each region getting a field. Central is one school who is definitely getting one and a good chance Fern Creek will be the other. The other 2 will come from Butler & PRP for the southwest area and between Male & Manual for the other region. 2 fields will be ready for the 2020 season and the other 2 will be ready for the 2021 season. Then the process will be repeated.

Makes sense. I do hope the wait isn’t too long for the Westerns, Iroquois, and Shawnees of the county to get theirs.

For turf fields, I’ve heard that Jefferson Co will be divided into 4 regions, with 1 school in each region getting a field. Central is one school who is definitely getting one and a good chance Fern Creek will be the other. The other 2 will come from Butler & PRP for the southwest area and between Male & Manual for the other region. 2 fields will be ready for the 2020 season and the other 2 will be ready for the 2021 season. Then the process will be repeated.

That seems really quick to get them ready for next season.

Being somewhat familiar with the politics of getting athletic monies in school systems, I'd be surprised if Ballard was one of the first ones to get a turf field. The argument against them in the halls of the bean-counters will go like this: "you're getting new stands. That's your big-ticket allotment for the year."

Although I understand the sentiment to "do it all at once", I also can understand the financial viewpoint in a district where you need to convince everyone that all are getting a fair share of the dollars...

CM

Is the thinking at JCPS that these fields will be available for other schools to use on occasion or are they being built only for the school where they are installed? If the latter, then it would make sense to me to place them at schools which have a full array of boys and girls sports which need fields, e.g., football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse....

Is the thinking at JCPS that these fields will be available for other schools to use on occasion or are they being built only for the school where they are installed? If the latter, then it would make sense to me to place them at schools which have a full array of boys and girls sports which need fields, e.g., football, soccer, field hockey, lacrosse....

I would certainly hope so. I live all of like 1/4 mile from Waggener. They have a football team, boys soccer, and girls soccer team. In 2-1/2 years of living in my house in St. Matthews, I feel like I hardly even see them practicing football there in the fall. And very literally, I can't think of a single time that I've ever seen either of the soccer teams practicing or playing on the field. How about letting a youth league or two or three or four try using it....

This totally out there but the schools that are struggling to field teams because of open enrollment how about put turf fields at those schools first and it might help them get a good start with their football programs.

Your guess is as good as mine but I question whether the prevailing thinking at JCPS considers a possible good start to these schools' football programs to be be worth the cost of a turf field. But who in the heck knows?

From what I’ve heard schools that get the turf fields will make their stadiums available for other schools to use at no cost. The school will get money from concessions. This would be a great option for November playoff games when most fields are practically unplayable.

From what I’ve heard schools that get the turf fields will make their stadiums available for other schools to use at no cost. The school will get money from concessions. This would be a great option for November playoff games when most fields are practically unplayable.

You mean until everyone has a field?