5A #2 Covington Catholic vs. LaSalle (OH) Predictions/Updates

CCHDynasty

Who wins?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

LaSalle is #3 but that is also in Division 2 in Ohio. To say they are #3 in Ohio is not correct. They are no Elder or St X.

If this is directed at my post, nowhere does it read LaSalle is #3 in Ohio.

CalPreps has them #9 overall (all classes) in Ohio and #3 in Cincinnati.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a tough one, no doubt. Cov Cath is going to be fighting to keep a regular season 27-game win streak intact, as well as fighting to conclude their 3rd straight undefeated season on their home turf.

These two teams played for the first time in 1970 and have played 9 times total, with the series record standing at 8-1 in LaSalle's favor. Their 2001 win over LaSalle was one of two wins that Cov Cath has ever had over GCL South teams, with the other coming against Moeller in 1992.

1970: LaSalle 42 Cov Cath 6

1971: LaSalle 28 Cov Cath 12

2001: Cov Cath 41 LaSalle 7

2004: LaSalle 27 Cov Cath 17

2007: LaSalle 34 Cov Cath 7

2009: LaSalle 44 Cov Cath 35

2010: LaSalle 50 Cov Cath 7

2011: LaSalle 41 Cov Cath 10

2012: LaSalle 27 Cov Cath 11

CalPreps ranks LaSalle ahead of Male and Trinity, so the Lancers would be the #1 team in Kentucky.

This will be an excellent chance to see how CovCath stacks up with the overall #9 team in Ohio and #3 team in Cincinnati.

If CovCath can win the turnover battle, they should be able to hang around.

LaSalle has turned over on fumbles once and has been intercepted once in their 6 games. Their defense has 9 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries.

Cov Cath has been intercepted 3 times (twice by Ryle, once by Dixie) and turned over on fumbled at least 3 times (twice against Lex Cath and once against Beechwood). I think they have fumbled and recovered it themselves another 2 or 3 times if memory serves. The Cov Cath defense has 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries, and they have 10 interceptions in their 7 games.

I believe DE John Lawrie is expected back from his shoulder injury for the game, but there are a lot of other injuries that have had players sidelined in recent weeks. I think I read somewhere on here that we started out with 17 guys out due to injury against Cooper. Boydston went out with a leg injury in the game. I don't know if we'll have Schwartz or Roedig back at all. A few key backups are out too. I sure hope we get past this week without any additional injuries - that's my A#1 concern.

Saw somewhere where LaSalle has 6 kids on the roster with D1 offers. What can you tell us about them?

Cam Porter ('20) - 3-star running back, Northwestern commit.

Jake Seibert ('20) - 5-star kicker, Ohio State commit.

Cole Hilenbrand ('20) - Safety with offers from Dayton, Butler, and Valparaiso.

Luke Thiemann ('20) - Linebacker with offers from Colgate, Tiffin, Ohio Dominican, and Robert Morris.

Markell Harden ('20) - Offensive guard with offers from Butler and Mount St. Joseph.

Jaylen Johnson ('21) - 3-star safety, with offers from Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Penn State, Oklahoma, Akron, Indiana, Iowa State, Louisville, Louisiana State, Toledo, Liberty, Western Michigan, and Michigan State.

DeVonta Smith ('21) - 3-star cornerback, with offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Minnesota, Akron, Boston College, Toledo, Liberty and Western Michigan.

Iesa Jarmon ('21) - Cornerback with offers from Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo, Liberty and Western Michigan.

Jaymar Mundy ('21) - Cornerback with offers from Toledo and Western Michigan.

Gavin Robbins ('21) - Offensive tackle being recruited by Miami (OH), Cincinnati, Akron and Liberty.

Jaylen Norwood ('21) - Wide receiver/cornerback being recruited by Miami (OH).

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue