Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BluegrassPreps Pre-Season Football Rankings - Class 5A

Featured Replies

Class 5A

 

Could Class 5A be the new heavyweight class? Enrollment loopholes and new schools drop two of the top expected 6A teams in as Frederick Douglass and Scott County search for greener pastures free of the Louisville powerhouses. Scott County gets an interesting opener against the school who made them fall to 5A, brand new cross-county foe Great Crossing. Joining these teams are four teams with lofty expectations on a statewide scale including defending 5A Champion South Warren. Brandon Smith's team will look to prove they are still a factor against a ranked 6A foe in Butler. South Oldham and Pulaski County should each have a wealth of firepower that would make them Top 5 caliber teams in most classes, they also each have tough openers against very talented 3A teams.

 

1. Frederick Douglass vs. 6A Bryan Station

2. Scott County vs. Great Crossing

3. Covington Catholic vs. 6A Ryle

4. Highlands at 4A Scott

5. Bowling Green vs. Father Ryan (TN) at Western Kentucky University (8/24)

6. South Warren vs. 6A #8 Butler at Western Kentucky University (8/24)

7. South Oldham at 3A #1 Christian Academy of Louisville

8. Pulaski County vs. 4A #6 Lexington Catholic

9. Owensboro at Breckinridge County

10. Graves County at 2A #6 Murray

  • Replies 33
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Personally, I think this class is going to be the most exciting to watch as the season goes on.

 

Does Douglas have too many big time players for anyone else to compete with? Or, does Douglas have too many big time players to be successful?

Personally, I think this class is going to be the most exciting to watch as the season goes on.

 

Does Douglas have too many big time players for anyone else to compete with? Or, does Douglas have too many big time players to be successful?

 

That's an excellent point. Their status as #1 is easy to justify when you look at their roster. But they were bursting at the seams with talent last year as well and got bounced in the second round by a team that accompanied them down to 5A.

 

They might very well be able to get by on just talent alone. But if the Broncos can curb the D1 egos littering their roster and get everyone to buy into playing team ball, they might prove to be an unstoppable force in this class.

How much does South Warren lose from last season?

 

In terms of quantity, there might be some teams that lost more. But if we're talking quality, I'm not sure anyone lost what South Warren did. They've got to replace three FBS guys plus a host of other high impact players. They romped their way through 4A in 2015 and then took a step back. We could see history repeat itself here. It's hard to imagine them being near what they were last season.

I’ll be surprised if South Warren and Bowling Green are ranked by the end of the year.

 

South Warren is young. They’ll be back in the mix next year and they won’t disappear.

 

Bowling Green has a brutal schedule that will mask how good they really are but I don’t expect BG to be able to win state. I do think people will over exaggerate BG’s struggle because of their schedule but I just don’t feel like they have enough to compete with the top tier of 5A.

I have my eye on Scott County and their dozens of seniors.

 

I am also keeping an eye on Highlands. Every year these past couple of years has felt different with them. I wouldn’t sleep on them at all.

 

Freddy D and CovCath should be fun to follow.

F. Douglass to scrimmage Trinity at home on August 16..................for those who may be interested.

I'll tell you this having seen South in a scrimmage - they have good size again on the line, and they have another stud QB in the making in Veltkamp. He's just a sophomore, so this may be a growing pains year, but I think he's going to be quite good. They caught a break when WKU retained his father as strength and conditioning coach. Coach's sons have been gravitating to South of late - they used to go to BG.

Agree with every spot on this list! What a stacked 5A class!

F. Douglass to scrimmage Trinity at home on August 16..................for those who may be interested.

 

Starts at 7:30.

South Oldham at #7 and Pulaski County at #8 tells you how loaded this class is after realignment.

 

Both of those teams would possibly be Top 5 in every other classification including 6A.

 

I know South Warren lost a lot, but I for one think they will still be very good. I think Smith has really built that entire program to a level that they can withstand big hits in graduation and still compete.

 

Frederick Douglass simply looks like they may have a special team.

F. Douglass to scrimmage Trinity at home on August 16..................for those who may be interested.

 

It starts at 7:30.

 

I know South Warren lost a lot, but I for one think they will still be very good. I think Smith has really built that entire program to a level that they can withstand big hits in graduation and still compete.

 

 

Define very good. The folks I have talked to down at SW would be satisfied with beating BG but their back and forth banter with BG fans is considerably toned down this year. Jantzen Dunn has a chance to have a breakout season this year but for the most part the folks down there are waiting on next year to begin their takeover of 5A.

Define very good. The folks I have talked to down at SW would be satisfied with beating BG but their back and forth banter with BG fans is considerably toned down this year. Jantzen Dunn has a chance to have a breakout season this year but for the most part the folks down there are waiting on next year to begin their takeover of 5A.

 

Capable of reaching State Semi-Finals or further.

 

Top 15-20 team in KY regardless of class.

 

There are a short list of teams who consistently can't qualify for those caveats.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.