Kelly Bryant not getting a NC ring

CincySportsFan

I'll be the contrarian.

If I was Clemson's AD, Kelly Bryant, the QB of my first four games, would have 100% received a ring. Transfer / bail on his teammates or not. Does he deserve it? Who knows, who cares. Clemson should have taken the high road and given him one, and what he does with it is on him and reflective of him. Believe me, they are going to issue rings to 50+ people that had NOTHING to do with them winning games, Kelly Bryant getting one for going 4-0 last year, would have been the most deserving of the lot.

This is where I'm at. He actually helped them win games, whether it was the first four or the last four, it doesn't really matter.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the contrarian.

If I was Clemson's AD, Kelly Bryant, the QB of my first four games, would have 100% received a ring. Transfer / bail on his teammates or not. Does he deserve it? Who knows, who cares. Clemson should have taken the high road and given him one, and what he does with it is on him and reflective of him. Believe me, they are going to issue rings to 50+ people that had NOTHING to do with them winning games, Kelly Bryant getting one for going 4-0 last year, would have been the most deserving of the lot.

No doubt this would have been the best route to take from a public relations standpoint.

Believe me, they are going to issue rings to 50+ people that had NOTHING to do with them winning games, Kelly Bryant getting one for going 4-0 last year, would have been the most deserving of the lot.

I believe this is a part of it that hasn’t really been discussed much, but absolutely should be. There will be people who have a national championship ring who never attended a practice and watched all season from the stands. I know it’s a different sport and different level, but I know a guy who works the scoreboard at Fenway who recieved a World Series ring. I’m positive Clemson is probably passing out rings to guys like that as well who yes were important, but had zero impact on winning games like Kelly Bryant.

If this happened at your work, and everyone was getting a bonus. Should a guy that quit get a bonus.

Funny you should ask. I was once in a position where my annual bonus was going to be enough that you could buy a new car in cash with it. However, I was recruited to a position too good to pass up, and I resigned on November 7th. My contract was clear, you are not entitled to your annual bonus if not employed on December 31st. That bonus, EVERY PENNY OF IT, hit my bank on January 31st.

I sent the CEO an email thanking him profusely for his kindness, his reply, which I'll never forget, "You earned every penny, thanks for all you did while you were here. Good luck!"

Give the dude his ring.

Funny you should ask. I was once in a position where my annual bonus was going to be enough that you could buy a new car in cash with it. However, I was recruited to a position too good to pass up, and I resigned on November 7th. My contract was clear, you are not entitled to your annual bonus if not employed on December 31st. That bonus, EVERY PENNY OF IT, hit my bank on January 31st.

I sent the CEO an email thanking him profusely for his kindness, his reply, which I'll never forget, "You earned every penny, thanks for all you did while you were here. Good luck!"

Give the dude his ring.

Sounds like you had a generous boss who decided to reward you.

You were there for 86% of the year. As opposed to 28.5%.

Is he asking for a ring? I’m shocked we’re 3 pages in on this. A quitter shouldn’t get a ring, people think he was cheering Trevor Lawrence on after he left? Dabo, even gave him the option to stay and redshirt. Is he going to wear his ring, or will it be with a sports dealer after the season?

Link?

“You just have to respect his decision, this is what he feels is best for him, even though you don’t agree with it. I did tell him if he wanted to go somewhere else and play, next year, I would agree to not play him the rest of the year but continue to stay and be a part of it if that’s what he wanted to do, but it’s not what he wanted to do. He made a decision he felt was best for him, and you have to respect that and move on. He has to move on, we’ve got to move on and get ready to play Syracuse.”

If a guy plays 4 games and then gets kicked off the team. Do people think he still should deserve a ring, since he played 4 games before getting kicked off? I could be wrong but I would assume most people would say no. He quit and left the team, they didn't ask him to leave. I'm sure they would have loved for him to stay. Him leaving almost cost them a game, because Lawrence did get hurt one game and a qb with no experience came and had to save them. While Bryant had left his teammates high and dry.

His decision to leave was what was best for him, it was not what was best for his teammates. So imo he shouldn't get something his former teammates won and earned, when he left them.

I honestly have no problem with him leaving. He had to do what was best for him, but what was best for him doesn't mean he deserves rewarded for what his teammates finished. Quite honestly I doubt he would even want one, except for the fact to sell it to make some money off it.

He had no choice. If he would have stayed like everyone on the "he quit on the team" bus. He would have to have play the following weekend when Lawrence was hurt against Syracuse. Thus eliminating his opportunity to go elsewhere. The kid was 4-0 that season and he was the reason that they beat Texas A&M. Lawrence struggled big time in that game. As golly gee oh shucks as Dabo is; that was surprising. I do think he should have gotten a ring. JMO

He had no choice. If he would have stayed like everyone on the "he quit on the team" bus. He would have to have play the following weekend when Lawrence was hurt against Syracuse. Thus eliminating his opportunity to go elsewhere. The kid was 4-0 that season and he was the reason that they beat Texas A&M. Lawrence struggled big time in that game. As golly gee oh shucks as Dabo is; that was surprising. I do think he should have gotten a ring. JMO

Lawrence struggled?