Cole Slaw or Potato Salad?

Randy Parker

Cole Slaw or Potato Salad?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Cole Slaw or Potato Salad?

My better half’s potato salad.

That being said, a coarse cole slaw with enough horseradish to give it a kick always hits the spot. Slaw from 52 Dairy Bar in Chilo is pretty good.

I got some Grippos potato chips today that were cheddar & horseradish flavored. Delicious.

Potato salad, especially red-skinned potato salad.

Some 20 years ago, a very truthful article appeared on the fake news site The Onion about how 84 percent of the world's cole slaw goes uneaten, and usually can be found deposited behind fast-food chicken and fish places. I always bring that up for jokes whenever I'm visiting the folks and mom is making up some homemade slaw.

Cole slaw.

Blue Ash Chili makes a "slaw dog". Hotdog bun, hotdog, mustard, chili, and cole slaw. Sloppiness, but oh so delicious.

I raise you a Primanti Brothers's Italian Sausage and cheese. You get the cole slaw with tomatos and fries on the sandwich.

There are so many styles of each that this isn't as cut-and-dried as many are giving it. Traditional cole slaw (KFC-ish) would beat out German Potato Salad for me, as an example. Mustard Potato Salad would beat out any slaw, to be sure, but there just so many options to how each are made, I can't throw a blanket answer out there.

This is highly dependent upon the venue and what else is being served. You said "cookout," which implies outdoors and that there will also be pulled pork, in which case slaw is served to top the pulled pork and also because potato salad attracts flies. Indoors in the cool I prefer a good mustard potato salad.