2019-2020 State Favorites

It looks like its happened only 9 times. Records only go so far but from what I can gather the following won Miss Basketball the same year they won State

2018 Robins (Mercer Co.)

2013 Epps (Marion Co.)

2011 Hammond (Rockcastle Co.)

2009 Mathis (Iroquois)

2008 Gibbs (Butler)

2004 Kelly (Sacred Heart)

1995 Figgs (Scott Co.)

1984 Parker (Marshall Co.)

1983 Haskins (Warren Central)

This just shows that winning a State Title takes a team. These ladies were lucky enough to be on one that came together at the right time.

I believe Scherr has a good chance on coming away with the award but repeating wont be an easy task for Ryle. I will be cheering them on nonetheless!

I’m surprised Laurel County’s Sharon Garland is not on this list. Her team won three straight state titles in the 1970’s while she was playing and she was their big star on the team.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryle has a lot of young talent coming up. Austin Johnson is recovering but plans to play mid season this year. But after the Scherr/Schwartz era they will continue to be a contender. Here is an excerpt from a write up about Abby Holtman, incoming freshman.

“Abby Holtman (2023)- this Kentucky product will only be a freshman Ryle High School, but is already showing promise reminding me of their current senior guard headed to Oregon, Maddie Scherr. Abby has a way to get to that level, but she showed a lot of skill for such a young player. Long athletic kid who can play anywhere on the floor.“

Wright State Elite Camp draws talented players - Prep Girls Hoops

I’m surprised no one has brought up Simon Kenton or Anderson County. SK returns three future college playing seniors. Plus the best center in NKY. Hard to imagine them not being the best team to come out of NKY this season. Anderson County finished with 27 wins last season and return key players. No offense to Ryle, but they lose too much. If any team from NKY has a chance to win state this season coming up it’s SK.

I’m surprised no one has brought up Simon Kenton or Anderson County. SK returns three future college playing seniors. Plus the best center in NKY. Hard to imagine them not being the best team to come out of NKY this season. Anderson County finished with 27 wins last season and return key players. No offense to Ryle, but they lose too much. If any team from NKY has a chance to win state this season coming up it’s SK.

SK has underperformed the past several years. I don’t see them being tops in Northern Kentucky until they prove it on the court. They haven’t been able to handle even Walton lately.

If you are calling underperforming the past several years by Simon Kenton, 2 Region titles and 1 Region runner up? If so, that would be a solid pick to get over the hump this season. They have lost some very significant pieces and continue to reload. Ryle still has the best player in the state and some good pieces. I think they will also find significant pieces can be hard to replace right away. Especially ones the caliber of L. Schwartz and sometimes seeming forgotten the athletic ability of McGregor.

If you are calling underperforming the past several years by Simon Kenton, 2 Region titles and 1 Region runner up? If so, that would be a solid pick to get over the hump this season. They have lost some very significant pieces and continue to reload. Ryle still has the best player in the state and some good pieces. I think they will also find significant pieces can be hard to replace right away. Especially ones the caliber of L. Schwartz and sometimes seeming forgotten the athletic ability of McGregor.

To be clear, SK is regularly a top team. Excellent coaching, girls from anywhere in Kenton can go there. Great program that IMO should win the region every year without much challenge. In the past four years they have won the region twice and lost twice. I think everyone would agree that four years and this past season (the years they lost the region), they underperformed. Underperformed for the expectation of the SK program.

As to replacing Schwartz and as you noted McGregor, Ryle will not be able to. They will be challenged by Dixie and ND this year.

If SK has the best post player in NKY then we see something different. She is young and it shows. I would say Drummond’s at Conner is way more polished then her. Remember watching Conner play Male at TMU last year and Drummond put on a clinic in the post against whoever guarded her including Browning.

Also SK has the luxury of being in NKY but playing in the 8th. SK is 4th or 5th in the 9th but because they play in the 8th they have a shot at making it to state.

Your last point about coaching. I have seen multiple games where the staff literally just gives up. I have never seen this from a varsity coach. Literally things didn’t go well in the first quarter and not one word said or timeouts called the rest of game. I have seen multiple and had parents confirm it has happened also.

If SK has the best post player in NKY then we see something different. She is young and it shows. I would say Drummond’s at Conner is way more polished then her. Remember watching Conner play Male at TMU last year and Drummond put on a clinic in the post against whoever guarded her including Browning.

Also SK has the luxury of being in NKY but playing in the 8th. SK is 4th or 5th in the 9th but because they play in the 8th they have a shot at making it to state.

Your last point about coaching. I have seen multiple games where the staff literally just gives up. I have never seen this from a varsity coach. Literally things didn’t go well in the first quarter and not one word said or timeouts called the rest of game. I have seen multiple and had parents confirm it has happened also.

Coach Stowers is well known as GREAT coach. Anyone who follows girls basketball knows this. You and others may not like or appreciate his style or tactics, but he has established himself among the elite coaches in KY. Girls move to his school to play for him. Nell Fookes has her detractors because of her aggressive style. Stowers has his detractors cause of his reactive style. But you can’t argue with the legacy of either coach.

As to SK in NKY, it’s not like they don’t play the NKY teams? They’ve been ranked in the top 3 teams in NKY for what the past 10 years straight? That’s because they beat them all head to head with a few exceptions. This year’s team will beat every major team in the ninth again except maybe Ryle. Outside chance Dixie could beat them. At worst they are 3rd if they were in the ninth.

NKY Centers

Drummonds, NAIA school?

Thomas, no offers yet?

Webb, will play mid major or better D1

Missing anyone?

Maddie D is a fine player, but one good game doesn’t make her the best. If you count Keifer from Brossart as a center then she’s probably the best in NKY. But it’s likely she won’t be strong enough to be a 5 in college.

• 2 weeks later...
Seygan Robins did it but it’s probably rare. Erin Boley’s Team was heavily favored but was upset. Last one before that was probably Makayla Epps.

Ryle loses too much to really contend. GRC has all star youth coming up in addition to solid upperclassmen. I see them contending.

GRC, Sacred Heart, Mercy or Southwestern. Mark my words, one of these four teams will win the state this year.

Agree on GRC. We have made lots of noise at state the last 3 year's. All 3 years we lost to the team that won the state title. Maybe this will be the year that we win the last game. As always will be supporting my Cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
The ninth region will be strong again this year. Whoever comes out of it will have a decent shot at the state title especially depending on how the seeding falls. Dixie and NDA gave Ryle tough games last year and both teams lose very little. All three should start the season ranked in the top 20. I think this is the year Dixie moves ahead of Ryle and makes some real noise at state.

Always fun to go back and look at old threads. Unless something changes quick, Dixie doesn’t seem like much of a threat at all.