2019-2020 State Favorites

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southwestern returns four starters and all but two players from last years state runner-up. The big unknown is there will be a new coach on the sidelines next year. I have to think they'll be in the discussion of the best teams all season.

Think I will go with

Ryle :)

Saw Maddie Scherr play a few scrimmages this summer. Wow. I realize it’s summer ball but she could do anything she wanted.

Ryle has a legit shot at the title. But I will say this - there’s an even better chance that Maddie Scherr is Miss Basketball.

Which thinking about that leads me to ask - how often does the team with Miss Basketball cut down the nets?

Ryle has a legit shot at the title. But I will say this - there’s an even better chance that Maddie Scherr is Miss Basketball.

Which thinking about that leads me to ask - how often does the team with Miss Basketball cut down the nets?

Seygan Robins did it but it’s probably rare. Erin Boley’s Team was heavily favored but was upset. Last one before that was probably Makayla Epps.

Ryle loses too much to really contend. GRC has all star youth coming up in addition to solid upperclassmen. I see them contending.

GRC, Sacred Heart, Mercy or Southwestern. Mark my words, one of these four teams will win the state this year.

It looks like its happened only 9 times. Records only go so far but from what I can gather the following won Miss Basketball the same year they won State

2018 Robins (Mercer Co.)

2013 Epps (Marion Co.)

2011 Hammond (Rockcastle Co.)

2009 Mathis (Iroquois)

2008 Gibbs (Butler)

2004 Kelly (Sacred Heart)

1995 Figgs (Scott Co.)

1984 Parker (Marshall Co.)

1983 Haskins (Warren Central)

This just shows that winning a State Title takes a team. These ladies were lucky enough to be on one that came together at the right time.

I believe Scherr has a good chance on coming away with the award but repeating wont be an easy task for Ryle. I will be cheering them on nonetheless!

The ninth region will be strong again this year. Whoever comes out of it will have a decent shot at the state title especially depending on how the seeding falls. Dixie and NDA gave Ryle tough games last year and both teams lose very little. All three should start the season ranked in the top 20. I think this is the year Dixie moves ahead of Ryle and makes some real noise at state.

It looks like its happened only 9 times. Records only go so far but from what I can gather the following won Miss Basketball the same year they won State

2018 Robins (Mercer Co.)

2013 Epps (Marion Co.)

2011 Hammond (Rockcastle Co.)

2009 Mathis (Iroquois)

2008 Gibbs (Butler)

2004 Kelly (Sacred Heart)

1995 Figgs (Scott Co.)

1984 Parker (Marshall Co.)

1983 Haskins (Warren Central)

This just shows that winning a State Title takes a team. These ladies were lucky enough to be on one that came together at the right time.

I believe Scherr has a good chance on coming away with the award but repeating wont be an easy task for Ryle. I will be cheering them on nonetheless!

Ryle was state champ and Scherr was Sweet 16 MVP, I wonder if you factored in any year winning the title, not just their senior year, if there would be a lot more? Also, how many Sweet Sixteen MVPs became or were Miss Basketball. Was probably a lot back when the voting was after the tournament. Didn’t they move the voting to before the tournament just to stop that?