Russell 19 Belfry 0

Congratulations to the Devils and good luck next week. Hope you guys can get it done against Mercer. Bring home back to back trophies.

I love playing the Devils. It is always great to square off against you. Your fans are great and travel well and support your team. Hope we get to do this again next year. :thumb:

To Belfry's players, keep your heads up. You had a fine season, you represent your school and your community well. You have accomplished much and we thank you for all the sweat and the pain and the tears and the many many hours of hard work you have put in. You are winners. Don't forget it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip of my hat to Russell... in my opinion these were two even teams but Russell had the better gameplan, executed better, capitalized on Belfry miscues, and definately made the big play. Tonight Russell was the best team and they earned the victory, no excuses!

Man, Belfry's defense was amazing tonight. They constantly put Belfry in position to win the game and they shut down the Russell ground game. They got exactlly what they wanted and that was the fact that Russell consistantly had 3rd and long and was forced to pass to move the ball. But, for as good as Belfry was on defense Russell was even better. This is the first time I have seen Belfry's running game get completely shut down in a long time. The Devil's tackled great and made the huge stops on 3rd down when needed.

This game really was definaed by about 4 plays that made the difference IMO.

1. (And don't take this as an excuse) The first was the missed offsides call that directly resulted in a Belfry turnover and subsequently the blown coverage two plays later that ended up with the TD pass.

2. The Russell drive and pass to Frasure on the first posession of the second half, the Devil QB got drilled and threw it perfect!

3. The dropped pass by Young on the ensuing Pirate posession on 2nd down, then on 3rd down the excellent interception by #38 to negate the scoring drive.

4. Without a doubt the play of the game,,, in the 4th quarter with 3rd down the Pirates had an apparent sack and Jones took the hit, escaped and threw a perfect pass for the TD. That play was the portrait of the game and Russell's determination to win.

5. The Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on 3rd and 4 when Epling may have caught a TD.. as a result it went from best case scenario a touchdown, then from 4th and 4,, all the way to 4th and 19.

If anyone was going to beat belfry I am glad it is such a first class program as Russell!

4. Without a doubt the play of the game,,, in the 4th quarter with 3rd down the Pirates had an apparent sack and Jones took the hit, escaped and threw a perfect pass for the TD. That play was the portrait of the game and Russell's determination to win.

I agree with everything you said, especially the appreciation for Russell and that I'd rather lose to them than anyone else. I know they will represent our side of the state well next week at the Big Show.

On your #4, that was huge, and it was obvious that both defenders who had Jones in their grasp were going for the strip of the ball instead of the sack. Had one of them went for the tackle and one for the ball, it would have been 4th and long on about the 25. We were down 13-0 and with about 6 minutes to go needed 2 scores, so I understand trying to get the strip. But it really broke our backs when Jones escaped and found Clark standing alone in the end zone.

I just want to say that Phillip Hickman and Bobby Burton played their tail ends off tonight on defense! It has been a pleasure watchign bobby play with his passion and his motor...

For my money next season I wouldn't have any other defensive lineman than Hickman (#8)...

It will definately be interesting to see who becomes Belfry's other halfback to join Lee and May in the backfield next season... I am also excited to see the difference the off-season will make on Andrew Elkins the QB, the kid ahs the potential to be really good with the right attention in the weight room and the the right quarterback camps.

For Russell, IMO the two players who really stepped up tonight and was the Co- MVP's were the QB Jones who made numerous big plays, even with pirates in his face, and the LB Willis #56.... that kid single handidly shut down Belfry's inside running with the halfbacks!

Clark may have only gained 25 yards or so rushing, but he proved a valuable commodity catching key pass after key pass as well as making huge plays in run support on defense.

Congrats to Coach McGlone and the Red Devils on earning another trip to the Pizza Box, and the right to defend their championhip. Also congrats to Belfry on another great season. I certainly hope that Russell makes it back to back.

Belfry was just outmanned.

Russell had a solid, mature, and Senior laden quad which was physically just a bit better.

Russell shut down the FB, and thats what it takes to beat Belfry.

My dad called and we are already talking about next year. I think Belfry will be just as good overall but will suffer from the same deficiency: lack of gamebreaking speed.

In the past, if our line was getting beat, we could run the outside veer and break one. This season we didn't have that capability.

Just the way it goes IMO. Good job Devils.

Belfry will have to throw the ball 15-20 times next season to be effective against ANY good teams.

IMO the backfield will be May, Lee, and either Charlie Dotson or Cory Colemen

Defense played hard but the offense just wasn't clicking.

Good season overall and Coach Haywood will have them ready to play next year