Russell 19 Belfry 0

Just wanted to add one last thing I heard from some of the Russell players saying what a class act Belfry football & school program was & how well they were treated while there.The Belfry principal came into the locker room & gave Russell a congratulations & wished them well in the state game.The facilities where top notch but the people were what made an impression on them.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add one last thing I heard from some of the Russell players saying what a class act Belfry football & school program was & how well they were treated while there.The Belfry principal came into the locker room & gave Russell a congratulations & wished them well in the state game.The facilities where top notch but the people were what made an impression on them.

Thanks, Roadstar. Some things in life are more important than wins and losses, and I'm thankful our coaching staff and administration goes the extra mile and teaches our young men about what those things are and leads them by example.

How would you all compare Corbin to Belfry? The teams open up against each other next year and I was trying to get a little info. Corbin returns mostly everyone and I'm unsure of what Belfry returns. I know Coach Haywood will have them prepared though.

Good win and best of luck at State Russell.

How would you all compare Corbin to Belfry? The teams open up against each other next year and I was trying to get a little info. Corbin returns mostly everyone and I'm unsure of what Belfry returns. I know Coach Haywood will have them prepared though.

I'll let Russell fans do the comparing.

Belfry returns 7 starters one ach side of the ball and nearly every key reserve.

On offense the Pirates return their leading rusher Dustin May who ran for over 1500 yards, they return their Sophomore QB Elkins, all their receivers, one of two tight ends, and quite a few linemen.

Defensively, Belfry should be pretty solid. They return 6 of their front seven including both linebackers who are pretty talented. Among those returning is DT Phillip Hickman who I would venture to guess was probably their top tackler, LB Dustin May, DE Adam Bowens, DE Ivan Lee, D-LIne Will Southerland, LB Charlie Dotson, and CB Ryan Preston/Andrew Elkins (they split time)

The Pirate defense was pretty stout this year, and even against Russell they played well enough to win considering the difference in time of posession.

Belfry more than likely will remain a wishbone team, moving Ivan lee to FB and May to a HB..but expect a considerable ammount of passing next season.

The Pirates also will have the luxury of getting a 100% Corey Coleman to play either in the defensive backfield or on offense. Coleman played most of the year with a cast on his arm and was projected to be one of Belfry's bright young stars.

Belfry will be very solid next year, as will Corbin, and that openign week matchup should be special.

Both defenses were good against the run, both stacked 9 sometimes everyone in the box. So I think next year it will be a defensive battle, both teams had really good backs, but even better D. Corbin's big back looked tough, I think he was a soph. Russell held Belfry in check rushing, but I still have no doubts of the talent of their backs, it was just Russell's turn, how else were you gonna have a 6 page argument over Merger Co. All Belfry and Corbin fans are welcome to sit on the Russell side and cheer.

I am very excited about next years Pike Co Bowl with Belfry and Corbin.

I think Cashen might be a little too much for Belfry's secondary considering they replace 3 starters.

Belfry needs desperately for someone to step up and grow into the speed demon that that wishbone offense needs. I think most would agree that, although a longshot, the Lovern kid might be the spark so desparately needed next year. Quite a bit to ask of a Sophmore but we shall see.

Elkins could take a little pressure off the backfield too if he works hard and becomes a SIGNIFICANTLY better player. Assuming Belfry has only good but not great backfield play, he could be the difference if he is able to actually damage teams on the ground. A moderate improvement in his passing ability along with a moderate improvement in his composure is necessary IMO.

I love the Redhounds v Pirates in week one!

Belfry had a better defense but Corbin had the better offense.

Cashen to me is the difference between the two offensively. He is a game changer.

Defensively Belfry was better. They were better up front and better in the secondary. Although Corbin is VERY GOOD against the run the secondary needs to improve.

It should be a dandy when these to meet next year. I think Corbin may be the team to beat in 2A in 2007.