April 27, 20197 yr Author Bengals trade down with Denver. In addition to the Bronco's pick later in the 2nd, they also get a 5th and a 6th rounder. I believe it was a 4th rounder not a 5th.
April 27, 20197 yr I believe it was a 4th rounder not a 5th. If so, even better. Just caught a quick glimpse of it on the screen.
April 27, 20197 yr Sample is a blocking TE, I think the Bengals could have gotten him in the 3rd or 4th.
April 27, 20197 yr Sample is a blocking TE, I think the Bengals could have gotten him in the 3rd or 4th. Guys on NFL Network seemed to indicate they thought he was underutilized as a receiver.
April 27, 20197 yr Guys on NFL Network seemed to indicate they thought he was underutilized as a receiver. That was the analysis of Pete Prisco Of CBS. Said the skill set is there.
April 27, 20197 yr Guys on NFL Network seemed to indicate they thought he was underutilized as a receiver. 4-year starter. Sample had 252 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Surely they could have got him later.
April 27, 20197 yr Bengals will get roasted (and rightfully so) if Drew Lock turns out to be a player for Denver; as they gave him up for a blocking TE (which they already have 2) and a couple of throw in picks. While Pitt ruined their LB plans in the first, this seems to be a very uninspiring draft so far for a team, which having just returned from Vegas; is one of the longest to win both the AFC & Super Bowl. Guessing they'll move further down with the Miami & AZ moves.
April 27, 20197 yr Author 4-year starter. Sample had 252 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Surely they could have got him later. Yep! If he was a 4th round pick, I wouldnt have minded it at all. Could have traded 2nd round pick for Rosen. Instead they reached and took a guy who may have some upside as a reciever, but is more known as a blocker. Ugh.
April 27, 20197 yr Yep! If he was a 4th round pick, I wouldnt have minded it at all. Could have traded 2nd round pick for Rosen. Instead they reached and took a guy who may have some upside as a reciever, but is more known as a blocker. Ugh. In a modern game, where TE’s are supposed to be “matchup nightmares” as well. Just don’t get it.
April 27, 20197 yr Author In a modern game, where TE’s are supposed to be “matchup nightmares” as well. Just don’t get it. They must be hoping they found their George Kittle. Kittle was the top run blocking TE when he came out and only had 20 receptions his last year in college. Literally about the exact same stuff as the guy the Bengals picked. Kittle is now one of the top TE's in the game and had 80 receptions last year. So they must be thinking they found someone similar. Which is all good and all, but still doesn't mean they should have taken him that early. Ugh.
April 27, 20197 yr I hope that is not their thinking. I am not sure who the last qb that was taken in 3rd or 4th round or later just to develop for later on that ended up being anything to special. Most qbs in the league starting right now are 1st round qbs because of their talent. So I hope they dont take a qb like Finley or Grier in second round, when they could have had Rosen for a second. Russell Wilson(3rd) is the first that comes to mind. Dak Prescott(4th) also. Kirk Cousins(4th) I think
April 27, 20197 yr Russell Wilson(3rd) is the first that comes to mind. Dak Prescott(4th) also. Kirk Cousins(4th) I think Don’t forget Tom Brady. Still, non first round QB’s don’t often become great NFL players. None of the QB’s that were available to the Bengals excited me (Rosen included). I understand wanting to move on from Dalton, but reaching for a QB when other pressing needs exist and can be filled doesn’t help the franchise either.
April 27, 20197 yr We are going to get a good test of the Bengals scouting system. They have a boatload of later round picks.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.