April 27, 20197 yr Bengals trade up to take Ryan Finley QB from NC State. Low cost lottery ticket, a cheap back up or a steal at QB if he turns into something.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Russell Wilson(3rd) is the first that comes to mind. Dak Prescott(4th) also. Kirk Cousins(4th) I think Russell Wilson was drafted and given a chance to compete for a starting spot. Cousins was drafted to be a backup and only a backup to a guy named RG3 they took in the first round of that same draft. Prescott was drafted and was the 3rd string qb, was not thought of really to ever be a starter for then. The backup Kellen Moore broke his leg, then Romo got hurt. So yeah mid round picks can become good starting qbs. Howver, someone suggested drafting one and just letting him develop. Most qbs who get drafted mid round are never drafted to be starters, they are just to be backups and never become anything. So that is why I suggested I hope that is not their line of thinking. Plus in Wilson and Prescotts case they at least brought a different dynamic to their team. The Bengals drafted a guy who I like but his skill set is the same as Dalton. Good rhythm passer with arm concerns. He was not drafted to compete or push Dalton. Just drafted to be a backup. Bengals are content with their average safe qb.
April 27, 20197 yr Michael Jordan will be a really good pro. Is a he a pro bowl type player? Probably not, but he will have a very long NFL career. Great pick.
April 27, 20197 yr Author I like the Finley pick. At worst he will be a serviceable backup. As we discussed he was the one I wanted if they took one in the mid rounds. However, how this draft played out I'm disappointed. They had a chance at 3 different qbs with 1st round talent, who would bring a different dynamic with a live arm. They could have has Haskins, Lock, or Rosen. All bring something different and would at least push Dalton some and make him have to step his game up. Dalton knows Finley isnt ever taking his job the next 2 years, and probably beyond. Finley is similar to Dalton good accurate rhythm passer but not a strong arm. Which is what Dalton is. Which imo has held back Green because he could have been an even bigger deep threat most of his career than he has. Plus honestly need a bigger arm qb to utilize Ross more. So I like Finley as he was my favorite QB in the mid rounds. With how this unfolded though I am disappointed he is the qb they got in this draft. They literally could have gotten Rosen with their 2nd round pick, and most likely still could have got the same tight end they drafted in the 2nd round in the 4th. So they literally could have the exact same guys but flip flop Rosen for Finley.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Michael Jordan will be a really good pro. Is a he a pro bowl type player? Probably not, but he will have a very long NFL career. Great pick. Agreed solid pick. I wonder if it is making them think about possibly moving Price to a guard, which may fit him better. If he doesnt make strides at center this year.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Well I guess I just need to hope that having an offensive head coach for the first time. Will help make Dalton something different than we ever seen, and become a qb who actually helps his team in the moments he has failed in most of his career. I do think the Bengals will be better this year. So they won't be in position to take any of the top qbs next year. So Dalton needs to show he can take the next step, or else the Bengals have just set themselves back about at least 4 years in terms of getting to the ultimate goal of winning a super bowl.
April 27, 20197 yr Congrats Mike! O-H! Bengals should put him at guard where he will hold the fort for several years to come.
April 27, 20197 yr Agreed solid pick. I wonder if it is making them think about possibly moving Price to a guard, which may fit him better. If he doesnt make strides at center this year. Michael Jordan isn’t a center imo.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Michael Jordan isn’t a center imo. Most people have said the same about Price and how his natural and best position is guard. Both only played center their last years at OSU. So definitely good to have guys who are versatile, and helps that they played next to each other before too now.
April 27, 20197 yr Agreed solid pick. I wonder if it is making them think about possibly moving Price to a guard, which may fit him better. If he doesnt make strides at center this year. Congrats Mike! O-H! Bengals should put him at guard where he will hold the fort for several years to come. Michael Jordan isn’t a center imo. Most people have said the same about Price and how his natural and best position is guard. Both only played center their last years at OSU. So definitely good to have guys who are versatile, and helps that they played next to each other before too now. Might we possibly see both Price and Jordan at guard, and them keep Trey Hopkins (who filled in for Price when he was hurt) at center?
April 27, 20197 yr Might we possibly see both Price and Jordan at guard, and them keep Trey Hopkins (who filled in for Price when he was hurt) at center? I’d have no problem with that.
April 27, 20197 yr Don’t forget Tom Brady. Still, non first round QB’s don’t often become great NFL players. None of the QB’s that were available to the Bengals excited me (Rosen included). I understand wanting to move on from Dalton, but reaching for a QB when other pressing needs exist and can be filled doesn’t help the franchise either. Not forgetting Brady, he just said recently. Those were the most recent ones I could think of.
April 27, 20197 yr I like what the Bengals have done in this draft. I wanted them to trade back and use the extra picks to go after players they like, and they have done that. I was hoping they would do that with the first pick also, but if they like Williams a lot more than the other first round tackles, then ok. They have hit their needs and haven't reached for players to do it. Now it is all about whether these guys can make plays.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.