April 27, 20197 yr Russell Wilson was drafted and given a chance to compete for a starting spot. Cousins was drafted to be a backup and only a backup to a guy named RG3 they took in the first round of that same draft. Prescott was drafted and was the 3rd string qb, was not thought of really to ever be a starter for then. The backup Kellen Moore broke his leg, then Romo got hurt. So yeah mid round picks can become good starting qbs. Howver, someone suggested drafting one and just letting him develop. Most qbs who get drafted mid round are never drafted to be starters, they are just to be backups and never become anything. So that is why I suggested I hope that is not their line of thinking. Plus in Wilson and Prescotts case they at least brought a different dynamic to their team. The Bengals drafted a guy who I like but his skill set is the same as Dalton. Good rhythm passer with arm concerns. He was not drafted to compete or push Dalton. Just drafted to be a backup. Bengals are content with their average safe qb. Don't disagree with any of that. But, you do need to have a quality backup, and dosn't it make sense to draft one similar to your starter that will fit your system.
April 27, 20197 yr Finley may be the most ready to play in the NFL QB in this draft. He had six years in college.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Don't disagree with any of that. But, you do need to have a quality backup, and dosn't it make sense to draft one similar to your starter that will fit your system. Yes if your starter was a true franchise qb. Doesnt make sense to draft a backup who is similar to your already very average and always will be average starting qb. Instead just like it has been during Daltons whose tenure, they don't want to do anything that could maybe make Dalton worry even a little bit. Which wouldn't be the worst thing, and maybe could even make him step up his game if he felt like his job may be on the line. I honestly like Finley, but with just how the draft played out. Its disappointing that they didnt grab someone that could have truly at least pushed Dalton in Haskins, Lock, or Rosen.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Finley may be the most ready to play in the NFL QB in this draft. He had six years in college. Yep and that's going to get him ready to only be a backup. I like him and even said that is who I wanted if the Bengals drafted one mid rounds. How it played out though is why I'm disappointed. He is drafted to be backup, not a guy to push Dalton. I don't think he even was drafted to replace Dalton in 2 years when his contract his up. They had 3 guys who they could have had, that could have pushed Dalton some and actually would have had more upside than Dalton. Finley is Dalton.
April 27, 20197 yr Author I like what the Bengals have done in this draft. I wanted them to trade back and use the extra picks to go after players they like, and they have done that. I was hoping they would do that with the first pick also, but if they like Williams a lot more than the other first round tackles, then ok. They have hit their needs and haven't reached for players to do it. Now it is all about whether these guys can make plays. They definitely reached to get the TE in the second round. Other than that it has been a solid draft. Only thing they should have done different imo was trade that second round pick for Rosen. Chances are their 2nd round TE would have still been there in 4th round. So essentially could have have had Rosen instead of Finley. However, the Bengals don't like to make Dalton feel uncomfortable or even the slightest bit of pressure for his job. Zac Taylor said he wanted high character guys when he was introduced. He definitely seems to be following the blueprint he wants. So he is doing it his way which is good, and I hope Dalton does awesome with him and shuts me up on the Dalton thing lol.
April 27, 20197 yr Michael Jordan isn’t a center imo. You are correct, he played center for us last year because we had nobody else and Mike stepped up.
April 27, 20197 yr Author I do really like the William's at running back pick. I believe this is Giovanni Bernard's last year on his contract. They drafted Walton last year to eventually replace him. I think this William's pick is now to do that.
April 27, 20197 yr I do really like the William's at running back pick. I believe this is Giovanni Bernard's last year on his contract. They drafted Walton last year to eventually replace him. I think this William's pick is now to do that. I know every team says that the guys they draft later are “steals”, but Williams really is a steal imo. First team all SEC and led the SEC in rushing last year. Williams can flat out play.
April 27, 20197 yr Just food for thought. Bleacher Report 2020 mock draft has Bengals selecting Tua at #4.
April 27, 20197 yr I can’t tell you how much I LOVE the Rodney Anderson pick. Without heavy injury concerns, he’s a likely first or second round pick.
April 27, 20197 yr They definitely reached to get the TE in the second round. Other than that it has been a solid draft. Only thing they should have done different imo was trade that second round pick for Rosen. Chances are their 2nd round TE would have still been there in 4th round. So essentially could have have had Rosen instead of Finley. However, the Bengals don't like to make Dalton feel uncomfortable or even the slightest bit of pressure for his job. Zac Taylor said he wanted high character guys when he was introduced. He definitely seems to be following the blueprint he wants. So he is doing it his way which is good, and I hope Dalton does awesome with him and shuts me up on the Dalton thing lol. I agree on the TE. That was a reach. Williams actually may be a bit of a reach but if he is a 10 year left tackle then go get him. I think they could have traded #11 back and still got Williams.
April 27, 20197 yr Just food for thought. Bleacher Report 2020 mock draft has Bengals selecting Tua at #4. If Tua has a season this year like he had last year there is exactly a 0% chance he’s not the number 1 overall pick.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Just food for thought. Bleacher Report 2020 mock draft has Bengals selecting Tua at #4. See I feel like the Bengals will be better than people think. I mean the Bengals were horrible last year and all kinds of injuries and still won 6 games and didnt draft top 10. For them to have the 4th pick they will have to win only 3 or 4 games and I don't see that happening. As much as I want them to move on from Dalton. There is talent on this team and he is an average qb. So they will always be at worst a 6 win team and at best a 10 win team just never good enough to get over the top and never bad enough to have a top pick. That's why I was disappointed they didnt take advantage of how it played out this year. Obviously if they got Tua that be awesome. I am honestly a big Fromm guy and I hope he has a fall like a Haskins or Lock and they get him. But I think we will see 4 qbs taken in the top 10 next year, and the Bengals won't be in position to get him or any of them.
April 27, 20197 yr Author Overall solid first draft for Taylor. No need to discuss my feelings on qb anymore. So here is hoping the system Taylor uses brings out something new and great with Dalton and they can win a title together. Dalton is a great person, he is a person you want to see win. So hopefully he proves me wrong and leads this team to a title. Imo they have done a very good job putting pieces around him again and fixing the line. Should have a strong running game. So that should help him and the passing game too.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.