16th Region Semifinals Preview

Game #1

ELLIOTT COUNTY (25-3) vs ASHLAND (15-16) On paper this looks like a comfortable win for the Lions. They are undefeated in regional play and own a 54-42 victory over Ashland on February 14th. This game tonight could be closer than most think. Ashland is without Ryan Bryant which could help the Tomcats defensively to match up with the smaller Lions. On the flip side can the Tomcats score enough points to pull the upset without a post presence? The key to the game could be if Ashland can limit the number of looks for sharp shooters Tanner Dickerson and Gage Evans. Can they make Korbin Spencer be the Lions' only scorer? A patient offene is also a must for the Tomcats and they must limit turnovers. In the end I see Elliott County pulling away late to secure a spot in the tile game on Sunday.

PREDICTION: ELLIOTT COUNTY

GAME #2

ROWAN COUNTY (26-5) vs BOYD COUNTY (23-10) This should be a contrast of styles in tonight's nightcap. Rowan County loves to control tempo and play through Mason Moore. Boyd County wants to speed up the game and create turnovers for easy baskets. Blake Stewart leads a bevy of three-point shooters that feed off of Stewart's playmaking abilities. Both teams are accustomed to semifinal games at Ellis T. Johnson Arena. The Achilles heel for the Vikings is handling pressure. The Lions live off their pressure. Brady Madden and Mason Moore could be the difference on the glass. I think this might be the time for the Vikings to win a semifinal game.

PREDICTION: ROWAN COUNTY

I’m going to the championship game today but I’ll have to drive like the wind to get there in time. It’s 90 miles the route we take to Morehead from Booneville and my brother can’t leave until 12:30-12:45 after church and a meeting of the Elders.

I asked him to bend his religion a little today and us leave earlier, but no! Lol.

He doesn’t allow anything to cut into his church time, not even a basketball regional finals with our nephew coaching Ashland to hopefully a spot in the Sweet 16 at Rupp.

if any BGPers are going I’ll be wearing a black BLuegrasspreps cap and maroon Owsley jacket.